CX-70 will have same exterior dimensions as CX-90

I'm guessing a 2023 CX5 2.5T since it's under his username on the left.
Yes, I think we have all agreed that Mazda does steering feel well though some think the CX-50 is too heavy. I like the steering feel of my 2017 MX-5 too. I think the CX-90 is almost exactly they way I like it. Too bad I could not get it in a midsize 2-Row or a midsize performance sedan.

BTW, I have a pet peeve about people assuming things not in evidence. My employees, especially the younger ones, will send emails without near enough information to be useful to their coworkers or clients. I once had an employee list the local nickname for a conference room in a meeting invitation for a meeting attended by people all over the country. There are 1000s of buildings on the 150 sqmi Army Post we support. I'm like maybe give them a Buidling number and room number, drop them a GPS pin to at least get them in the vicinity.

Last edited:
CX-50 steering is a little loose at low speeds for my liking, such as around parking lots, but that may give it more appeal to newcomers. The CX-5 feels more "WYSIWYG" so it's easier to point it where you want it to go. Both are within the Mazda ethos, of course.

So far most comments are negative and I can understand why (it's too big and almost identical to the CX-90); instead of of calling it CX-70, I would suggest calling it CX-92 as in 2 row and rename the CX-90 CX-93 as in 3 row ending the confusion. On the other hand, we can dream that Mazda could come up with a MazdaSpeed version but they seem to have put aside this idea. If Stellantis can come up with a 3.0L inline 6 twin turbo with up to 510 HP then anyone else can! They don't call it Hurricane for nothing, it will gradually replace their venerable hemi V8; right now it's available in the Jeep Grand Wagoneer L. BTW I'm no Stellantis fan, simply mentioning what's available other than luxury brand engines :devilish:

So far most comments are negative and I can understand why (it's too big and almost identical to the CX-90); instead of of calling it CX-70, I would suggest calling it CX-92 as in 2 row and rename the CX-90 CX-93 as in 3 row ending the confusion.
It is unfortunate. The CX-70 for what it is, is actually a nice vehicle.

The negative comments concern the expectations people had formed over the last 2-3 years. It was always described that the 70/90 would be North American versions of the Japan/Europe 60/80 pair which would be somewhat wider and longer. With the 60 and 90 out, it led everyone to believe the 70 would be the same width as the 90 and somewhat longer than the 60. Nobody, including the entire automotive press that was interviewing Mazda execs and engineers for all those years, expected a 2-row fullsize which is basically the CX-90 with no back seat. So being minivan size and being a modified CX-90 released as a new model is what is getting negative comments.

Last edited:
It is unfortunate. The CX-70 for what it is, is actually a nice vehicle.

The negative comments concern the expectations people had formed over the last 2-3 years. It was always described that the 70/90 would be North American versions of the Japan/Europe 60/80 pair which would be somewhat wider and longer. With the 60 and 90 out, it led everyone to believe the 70 would be the same width as the 90 and somewhat longer than the 60. Nobody, including the entire automotive press that was interviewing Mazda execs and engineers for all those years, expected a 2-row fullsize which is basically the CX-90 with no back seat. So being minivan size and being a modified CX-90 released as a new model is what is getting negative comments.
Not to mention that it's priced the same as the CX90 - you get less but pay more!

They created a lot of hype with extended anticipation only to reveal essentially the same vehicle that's been out for a year.

I wish they would have brought the CX-80 with the third row deleted.

1708837036704.png

I wish they would have brought the CX-80 with the third row deleted.

View attachment 326246
Agreed, that would be perfect solution.

On the side note, with deleting the 3rd row and creating CX-70 Mazda somehow managed to shrink the trunk space somehow. You would think, no 3rd row, the trunk is going to get bigger. Well, no. Easily to find on Mazda Canada:
1122L-1131L range on CX-70 vs 1133L-1155L range on CX-90 depends on the trim. I know the difference is negligible and CX-70 has this little extra storage under the floor but it does show that with $1K difference in Canada there is no point buying CX-70 unless someone really wants higher trim with seating for 5 passengers and access to full trunk capacity. At least until Mazda might add the bench seating to higher CX-90 trims.

On the side note, with deleting the 3rd row and creating CX-70 Mazda somehow managed to shrink the trunk space somehow. You would think, no 3rd row, the trunk is going to get bigger. Well, no. Easily to find on Mazda Canada:
1122L-1131L range on CX-70 vs 1133L-1155L range on CX-90 depends on the trim. I know the difference is negligible and CX-70 has this little extra storage under the floor but it does show that with $1K difference in Canada there is no point buying CX-70 unless someone really wants higher trim with seating for 5 passengers and access to full trunk capacity. At least until Mazda might add the bench seating to higher CX-90 trims.

That is exactly what my dealer had told me and the one thing I thought they were wrong about. Everything they said - for 6-9 months was correct. The CX-70 would be the same size as the CX-90 with less rear trunk space. I had assumed it was because the removed the hump but it must be for some other reason.

Not to mention that it's priced the same as the CX90 - you get less but pay more!

They created a lot of hype with extended anticipation only to reveal essentially the same vehicle that's been out for a year.
You don’t get less. it’s awesome that you can get a roomy vehicle with excellent handling and safety performance.

Meanwhile, BMW continues to fail the X5 with its inferior safety performance and unhealthy focus on touchscreens to operate almost everything including climate controls.

You don’t get less. it’s awesome that you can get a roomy vehicle with excellent handling and safety performance.

Meanwhile, BMW continues to fail the X5 with its inferior safety performance and unhealthy focus on touchscreens to operate almost everything including climate controls.
You sound very much like a Mazda booster (no current/prospective BMW owner is quaking in their boots!). What will you say when Mazda gets rid of the shifter and/or climate controls?

The CX70/CX90 will sell on their own merits. No need to make up our minds for us!

I agree if you're going to do a 3rd row delete, it behooves you to use that space to open up the cabin some as well.

Mazda and BMW are the 12th and 13th highest selling brands in the U.S. for 2023, respectively. There was about 1,000 sales difference. Mazda is a economy brand and BMW a luxury brand. The X5 gets a 4-star rating overall from the NHTSA with mostly 5-star individual ratings. The CX-90/70 has not been tested to my knowledge. And both the X5 and CX-90 get similar scores from the IIHS. Though Mazda has performed well over their line. But the differences are marginal and like insurance only few people will ever test them. I have been driving like 44 years and over 500,000 miles and have YET to be in an automotive accident. Assume it is coming, but not a certainty.

And I much prefer analog/physical gauges and controls. One reason we considered a 2023 vs the 2024 X5 and why the 2024 X3 was in play. Also why I am waiting to buy a sedan (likely M340i) to judge our experience with the 2024 LCI iDrive 8 BMW platform. I even told one of the salesmen that it is likely all manufacturers will go back to physical buttons. As a former SME in probabilistic risk analysis, I am well versed in human reliability analysis and you don't want people to have to read the screen, figure out where the control is and how to use it to make a selection. With physical buttons it is all done by feel, not sight.

Looks like we're all saying that "Mazda answered the question that no one asked"!
Unfortunately, for those of us that like Mazda products, they do that quite often. Why nobody ever got rich predicting what Mazda will do in the U.S. Market...because they usually f-ck it up.

Is it the headlights that you refer to? I think it was those that didn't get it the top rating?

Seems a lot don't get the top rating these days, not sure if the methodology changed since it used to seem like more did.

Not sure I'd be concerned if it's just headlights, given the size, weight and relative stability at speed of an x5, lucky for me it's out of my range so I need not worry:cool:

I don't think anyone is arguing that the CX90 isn't roomy with great dynamics and safety, per se. The argument is the CX90 is already that, and it's a close to redundant option to add to the lineup.

Having said that, I never thought about the bench seat on top trims, that is at least something. As someone who dislikes captains chairs, I will say if I were comparing, the CX70 has given me a reason to consider.

You sound very much like a Mazda booster (no current/prospective BMW owner is quaking in their boots!). What will you say when Mazda gets rid of the shifter and/or climate controls?

The CX70/CX90 will sell on their own merits. No need to make up our minds for us!
And you sound like a BMW booster. 🙄

And you sound like a BMW booster. 🙄
You'll have to find a specific post where I'm singing BMW's praises. As a matter of fact, I never once even brought up the X5 as other long time members have been doing a good job letting us know how disappointed they are in Mazda!

Since we don't have the base CX-70 in Canada perhaps the base CX-90 would satisfy the need for those who want the inline 6 driving experience and then saving several thousand dollars in the process. As a side note, we don't have a base CX-50 either while the U.S. has it. Too many models and trims for our market I suppose.

Since we don't have the base CX-70 in Canada perhaps the base CX-90 would satisfy the need for those who want the inline 6 driving experience and then saving several thousand dollars in the process. As a side note, we don't have a base CX-50 either while the U.S. has it. Too many models and trims for our market I suppose.
The fact that you can get a cheaper CX90 than the least expensive CX70 is mind-boggling!

Latest posts

Back