CX-70 will have same exterior dimensions as CX-90

And that was when the X5 B58 had only 335hp/330ftlb and now in BB58B30M2 form it puts out 375HP/384ftlb! Not that people are drag racing their SUVs or nothing! :oops:
Unfortunately, BMW just gets so many little details wrong! And why can’t they provide class-leading safety performance? only one that manages it is the X3, but that’s in its last year and rotten on the vine. BMW fail!

The only issue I have with this is how close the taillight is to the rear window now. Looks unnatural. But, this could also be solved by reintroducing a Hofmeister kink to the rear window, which would also make the car look a bit more sporty.
I will have to look for the Hofmeister kink tool in MS Paint..😄

Last edited:
Not my original intent. I drive a MX-5 and my daughter has a CX-5. I was waiting on and intending to buy a CX-70. In preparation my wife and I test drove a X5, Genesis GV70, Toyota RAV, Honda CRV, Mazda CX-50. She wanted something bigger than my daughter's CX-5 (180") and smaller than her minivan (202"). She was really impressed by the value and feel of the CX-50 so I assumed a CX-70 was a given.

Then Mazda dropped a minivan sized 2-row instead of something midsize. I attempted to steer her to the CX-50 as the best value and it would be better in town. She responded with wanting to test drive an X3 which meant the Turbo Inline 6 0-60 in 4.4s X3 M40i. At that point she was pretty much hooked on the BMWs and opted for the midsize X5 over the compact X3.

A Mazda CX is not the equal of the BMWs. They have the potential to get much closer if they tweak the 3.3L and get a better transmission. The CX-90 is already considered the best driving Fullsize other than the X7. It is a value calculation of getting 85-90% to what a BMW is for 65-70% of the money.
Mental note to self, don't let wife test drive a B58.:D

Now, being serious, should we go down that road (sort of a personal bucket list thing, that engine), we'd prob go for the x3 to get max power to weight ratio and easier commute...but the x5 would do to! Underrated HP figures for it as usual, I'm sure.

In general, I don't think it's impossible for someone to cross shop cars from mid 50s to 70s. I know a couple guys with money who intend to buy german but haven't yet. To some, 20k can be a relative impulse buy.

Some models also have trims which vary by 20k. Rare to consider all trims I guess at once, but at the same time, it's sort of the same car for a lot of difference in $.

Cars can be emotional, or bought on physical feel. You never know.

Mental note to self, don't let wife test drive a B58.:D

Now, being serious, should we go down that road (sort of a personal bucket list thing, that engine), we'd prob go for the x3 to get max power to weight ratio and easier commute...but the x5 would do to! Underrated HP figures for it as usual, I'm sure.

In general, I don't think it's impossible for someone to cross shop cars from mid 50s to 70s. I know a couple guys with money who intend to buy german but haven't yet. To some, 20k can be a relative impulse buy.

Some models also have trims which vary by 20k. Rare to consider all trims I guess at once, but at the same time, it's sort of the same car for a lot of difference in $.

Cars can be emotional, or bought on physical feel. You never know.
Not an impulse buy but I did consider a top trim near-$60k CX-90 against a GLS450 that starts at $81,800. I made the grudge Mercedes purchase since my wife likes the badge and we were replacing an older Mercedes SUV. If it was my car, I would've probably gone X7!

The motor will get better with time and tweaking. It has the potential to easily surpass 400HP if they want at 3.3L. It is the transmission where it falls down. It just doesn't get the power to the wheels lik the 8sp ZF in the X5.

If I recall, the Lexus RX is CX-50/X3 size while the CX-70 is X7 size! SMH
Mazda did mention this in a recent interview.

“in terms of performance, these inline six-cylinder engines are obviously a first for us. This is just the first step. Expect more to come in terms of performance. We want to increase that threshold. In terms of performance, we want to push those thresholds even further.”

Mazda did mention this in a recent interview.

“in terms of performance, these inline six-cylinder engines are obviously a first for us. This is just the first step. Expect more to come in terms of performance. We want to increase that threshold. In terms of performance, we want to push those thresholds even further.”
Most likely will be done for a refresh for the same generation. When does Mazda typically do a minor refresh?

1st gen CX-9 got a minor refresh for the 2010 MY (3 years), then a major refresh for the 2013 MY.
CX-5 got a refresh for the 2022 MY (5 years).
Mazda6 got a refresh for the 2018 MY (4 years).
Mazda3, CX-30, CX-50 have not received refreshes yet as they are still "new", but the 3 is due for one soon.
CX-3, CX-7, and 2nd gen CX-9 never got a refresh.

1st gen CX-9 got a minor refresh for the 2010 MY (3 years), then a major refresh for the 2013 MY.
Mazda3, CX-30, CX-50 have not received refreshes yet as they are still "new", but the 3 is due for one soon.
So basically whenever Mazda "feels like it" as opposed to some predetermined, escalating options/improvements on a product roadmap!

For the past few years Mazda has transitioned to a more gradual implementation of updates, rather than the traditional refresh in the 4th year of a new vehicle. I would expect that to continue.

Most likely will be done for a refresh for the same generation. When does Mazda typically do a minor refresh?
For the motor it will be more frequent and streamlined in. It might not even be mentioned as an update to published HP/TQ figures. I can guarantee there are already configuration changes to the motor since it's original introduction. Some are incidental based on parts supply and availability and some are reliability enhancements. But it doesn't take much to apply a new ECU map to improve drivability or increase power. As they learn more about the motor it will evolve fairly quickly if they want. They will learn better how much boost it can take reliably and that will be an easy increase in performance.

With the ND MX-5 in the U.S. there were 5 distinct versions for the transmission (all the same transmission) in the first 3 years. You could identify the configuration item differences and determine which version you got based on the serial number. My 2017 has V2 which started in production in Oct 2016 and ran through about July 2017.

They're already falling behind by not having done an initial HP bump this year. The engine should have plenty of growth capacity, would have been a nice thing to do with the CX-70 introduction.

Last edited:
And the first CX-5 got a refresh in 2016.5, then a whole new model for 2017. Was weird, like there were 2 different teams working on it and one was late in delivering, or the other was early. Wouldn't surprise me since Mazda was in a hurry to transition the brand upmarket.

It is true that nobody going after a BMW X5, is likely to consider a Mazda. But if you are looking for a 6-cylinder, rear wheel drive, then the CX-90 pops up on the RADAR with the BMWs. Almost everything in the midsize and down is 4 cylinder, front wheel drive though you do find some V6, Front wheel drives as well.

I bought a X5 40i xDrive for the Turbo inline 6 (B58) with 375HP/384ftlb and rear biased all wheel drive. I did not want the 4 cylinder BMW nor the V8. When my wife considered the X3 I told she could not have the 30i (4 cylinder) and would have to get the M40i with the turbo inline 6 (B58).

And yes, Mazda can't figure out what they want to be. That is what is goofing them. They could not figure out that an upmarket midsize CX-70 was not going to compete with the down market compact CX-50.
I'm going to look at a X5 M40i and try real hard to talk myself out of going up to the M60i if I wind up buying. BMW has the engine/transmission figured out - but the steering/feel needs work.

I'm going to look at a X5 M40i and try real hard to talk myself out of going up to the M60i if I wind up buying. BMW has the engine/transmission figured out - but the steering/feel needs work.
Aww, you know you want to go to the 60 😀

Looks like I'll end up with RX 3x0 number 6. The dealer I've used for 25 years has an online sticker for a vehicle they have, I did minor tweaks, MSRP should be 58K and change for what I'd want (get rid of a couple things that I don't care for, switch to Nori Green Pearl paint, do a PPF).

Aww, you know you want to go to the 60 😀

Looks like I'll end up with RX 3x0 number 6. The dealer I've used for 25 years has an online sticker for a vehicle they have, I did minor tweaks, MSRP should be 58K and change for what I'd want (get rid of a couple things that I don't care for, switch to Nori Green Pearl paint, do a PPF).
I think I'm in good shape as long as I don't drive it...a coworker sold his Explorer ST and is now in an X7 M60i after a short test drive. Dimensionally, the X7 isn't much bigger than the ST but it looks significantly larger. I'm in an Explorer ST as well and I don't want anything bigger. The engine/trans and even suspension are decent on it - it's all of the rattles, squeaks, faulty sensors, and recalls that I loathe.

The X5 40i is more than enough HP/TQ for almost everyone. I specifically wanted the B58 and didn't want the V8 and the massive loss in gas mileage it brings as this will be my wife's daily driver. The 40i is rated at 23 City, 27 Highway. I just wanted something that wasn't a dog because I will be the driver on trips. At basically 400 HP it really is enough! It is an SUV, not a track car.

And yes, the steering feel on late model BMWs is fairly poor given their history. And it is a damn shame! This is one area the Mazda's do well.

Last edited:
The X5 40i is more than enough HP/TQ for almost everyone. I specifically wanted the B58 and didn't want the V8 and the massive loss in gas mileage it brings as this will be my wife's daily driver. The 40i is rated at 23 City, 27 Highway. I just wanted something that wasn't a dog because I will be the driver on trips. At basically 400 HP it really is enough! It is an SUV, not a track car.

And yes, the steering feel on late model BMWs is fairly poor given their history. And it is a damn shame! This is one area the Mazda's do well.
Agree on all points!

Back