CX-70 will have same exterior dimensions as CX-90

The CX50 is still hampered by limited availability. My local dealer has 111 CX-5s and 18 CX-50s for sale. The second most common car at my local dealer is the CX-30 -48 of those. If I look at multiple other dealers, that ratio is similar. People buy what vendors have.
I live 8 miles from Mazda/Toyota Manufacturing where the CX-50 is built. I watched a couple choose a CX-5 over the CX-50 that they were comparing. It wasn't availability. It was that the CX-50 is big for compact SUV and provides almost no increase in space from the CX-5 which is more nimble to drive in town. The 3 inches increased width and 6 inches increased length of the CX-50 is almost exclusively external to the passenger/cargo interior. They are different configurations of the same vehicle. Add the loss of the fully independent suspension and the fact that the CX-5 is still made in Japan (people have that preference) and people generally prefer the 5 to the 50. Personally, I like the 50 better, but smh at the beam suspension. Whichever one I could get with a 6 cylinder motor would be the one I would buy. The 340hp turbo inline 6 is why I am waiting to see the CX-70. If I was willing to settle for a 4 Cylinder I would do the CX-50 on the low end or the RDX.

People buying a full size 3-row are interested in people and cargo capacity. Mainly because most of them should be buying a minivan but are too vain. People buying compacts and subcompacts are looking for nimble, easy to maneuver, turn and park. Us midsize crowd are trading off on both ends. Shown is the spreadsheet I did when I started trying to pry my wife out of her 2012 Honda Odyssey about 1.5 years ago.

1704811237560.png

I live 8 miles from Mazda/Toyota Manufacturing where the CX-50 is built. I watched a couple choose a CX-5 over the CX-50 that they were comparing. It wasn't availability. It was that the CX-50 is big for compact SUV and provides almost no increase in space from the CX-5 which is more nimble to drive in town. The 3 inches increased width and 6 inches increased length of the CX-50 is almost exclusively external to the passenger/cargo interior. They are different configurations of the same vehicle. Add the loss of the fully independent suspension and the fact that the CX-5 is still made in Japan (people have that preference) and people generally prefer the 5 to the 50. Personally, I like the 50 better, but smh at the beam suspension. Whichever one I could get with a 6 cylinder motor would be the one I would buy. The 340hp turbo inline 6 is why I am waiting to see the CX-70. If I was willing to settle for a 4 Cylinder I would do the CX-50 on the low end or the RDX.
BTW, I sincerely hope Mazda does not pull the same stupid pet tricks with the CX-70 vice the CX-60 as they pulled with the CX-50 vice the CX-5. The U.S. versions are supposed to be wider and longer and if all they do is put wider sheet metal on it that would be a tragedy. Mazda has never been good at figuring out the U.S. Market.

This dealer mentioned mentioned that the CX-70 will have fewer trims and the same fewer trims would be available in the 2025 CX-90.

This dealer mentioned mentioned that the CX-70 will have fewer trims and the same fewer trims would be available in the 2025 CX-90.

He also predicted that the 70 will be the same size as the 90, so keep that in mind when measuring his FOS prediction ratios.

Did you really expect CX-70 inline six to be a hybrid?
I expect it to have the same powertrains as the CX-90 where the inline 6 is a hybrid. It is a 48V system considered a mild hybrid. It is intended to smooth out turbo lag with instant torque boost and to increase gas mileage. BTW, the BMW X5 and M340i that I am also looking at also have a Turbo inline 6 with a 48V mild hybrid system. From Mazda's website, they call it M Hybrid Boost.

1704855926003.png

1704856139689.png

Did you have any 0-60 predictions? If it's just 200lb lighter vs CX-90 it's not going to be much faster, probably it will be very similar to CX-5 turbo?

Did you have any 0-60 predictions? If it's just 200lb lighter vs CX-90 it's not going to be much faster, probably it will be very similar to CX-5 turbo?
For a SUV, it's not about "racing" fast. First the inline 6 is about smoothness. That configuration of cylinder firing is balanced compared to an inline 4 and a V6 takes a lot of vibration damping. Also it's about drivability and does the vehicle move when you flick your foot to make a maneuver. Below is a link to a standing and roll drag race between the CX-90, Mercedes GLE and BMW X5. They turned launch control off on the X5 and it still beat the others. Where the CX-90 loses is initial low end pull. Expect that to get better with better tuning. The driver's comment was "I don't feel the torque." In the rolling race it was quite competitive. The transmission in the CX-90 is also not as good at getting power to the wheels. They pull out a Palisade and the CX-90 easily outruns it.

CX-90 vs X5 vs GLE

At the end, they all agree the BMW is the best. In fact, the guy quips "The X5 is currently the best product BMW makes...which is kind of sad." They agree the steering in the CX-90 is better than the X5. Overall they like the CX-90 and can understand why people would choose it over the German SUVs saving tens of thousands of dollars. Their impression is it is not exciting and that Mazda seems to be going for "SERIOUS CALM". Again, this can change with a better transmission and improved tuning of the 3.3L Turbo.

The CX-70 or whatever I buy will be my wife's primary vehicle. I will drive it when we go together for a trip or something. What I want is a vehicle that when I see an opportunity to manuever around the inattentive, inconsiderate moving obstacles on the road, the vehicle allows me to do that. That is where my wife's Odyssey falls down. It has decent horsepower and will go, but it takes too long to jump when I need it to jump.

It's why I hate laser cruise control. No, I do not want to slow down. It should work like painting the target in a fighter. The other guy should get warning lights and sirens going off letting him know I have target lock and he needs to take avoidance maneuvers to prevent being hit.

There was a TV commercial a while back...
"In California, our marriage lasts for 5 years. We own our cars for 7 years. Choose your car wisely."

My slogan has always been.
Lease German (if you must).

I owned a BMW E39 540iA for 9 years.
They call it BMW "break my wallet" for a reason.
You own one for a while, then you will understand.

Those reviewers could care less about maintenance cost.

A couple of people on Reddit who mention they work for Mazda dealers in Canada posted what they know on the CX-70. It looks like the US Youtube dealer was correct and the CX-70 will be the same size as the CX-90 with a more sporty design and 2-rows.

Mazda dealer here. I don't know pricing yet, so I can't comment on that. However, from what I've been told from my Mazda Canada reps is that it's the same size as the 90. Same powertrains, same body, mainly the seating and some minor styling differences between the two. I have seen a picture of it and it looks great! It has a sportier look than the 90.

I could be misinformed but from what we've been told, the body is the same. In the picture they showed us at our last dealer meeting, it has a sportier, more aggressive look. There will be other styling items like blacked out trim vs polished trim for example. Of course, trying to guess what will happen based on what makes sense only works if they always do things based on what makes sense which isn't always the case ;)

I’m also a Mazda dealer and Mazda Canada has told us it’s the same as the 90 less the third row. We’re all hoping it’s a slightly shorter wheelbase but they haven’t said anything about that

I hope Mazda is going to surprise everyone rolling out an unexpectedly different car.
Just in case it doesn't, just wondering, have there been other examples in automotive industry when the same car would be marketed as two different models depending on 2 vs 3 rows configuration?

Last edited:
I hope Mazda is going to surprise everyone rolling out an unexpectedly different car.
Just in case it doesn't, just wondering, have there been other examples in automotive industry when the same car would be marketed as two different models depending on 2 vs 3 rows configuration?

The Genesis GV80 can be had as a 5 seater or an 7 seater.

I can't think of a single car model that was the exact same as another model except for seating differences. From the sounds of it, the body will be a little different than found on the CX90.

I am starting to think the CX70 is going to me more soft-road/adventure type of vehicle (similar to the Honda Passport versus Pilot).
The wording in the release mentions life's adventures...

The Honda Passport is a Honda Pilot in a 2 seat configuration. The VW CrossSport is a VW Atlas in a 2 seat configuration. The sheet metal is different but the mechanicals and overall dimensions are really really close.

That is where I think the CX-70 is going to fit in the class size.

The Honda Passport is a Honda Pilot in a 2 seat configuration. The VW CrossSport is a VW Atlas in a 2 seat configuration. The sheet metal is different but the mechanicals and overall dimensions are really really close.

That is where I think the CX-70 is going to fit in the class size.
Exactly.

Passport is 10 inches shorter than Pilot, the bodies and looks are very different.
CX-70 needs to be shorter and look different.

View attachment 325178View attachment 325179
The Passport is not a good example as the difference in length and cargo space is quite significant. The VW Atlas and CrossSport is likely a better comparison with only 5” difference in length. The CrossSport is probably also a better example of design difference with a lower and sleeker roofline. Based on what has been leaked, the CX-70 cargo space would be largest in it class. So I would not expect too much deviation from the CX-90.

I am not sure how the CX-70 would have largest cargo space in class, with the CrossSport already have more cargo space than the CX-90. We will see.

if you compare the passport with the previous gen pilot, which is the one it was based on, and not the newly redesigned pilot, look is not that far different.

But that is still the size where I expect the CX-70 to be. Maybe Mazda will prove me wrong. But the CX-60 is way smaller than a CX-90, and it fits the same powertrain and same interior.

Back