CX-70 debut information, pictures, discussion

Well then.

I bought an X3 M40i last summer--my first non-Mazda in 16 years--partly because it was my last chance to own a B58 mild hybrid with a traditional cockpit, and partly because Mazda had nothing for me at the time, with the CX-5's interior still a generation behind that of my 2019 Mazda3, and not wanting to own yet another first-year product in the CX-70.

I fully expected that I'd be back for the CX-70's mid-cycle refresh, right around the time that the BMW's warranty and prepaid maintenance would come to an end. Except now it seems that Mazda forgot to actually make a CX-70.

Not at all the vehicle I expected, and I have to agree that it screams "cobbled together at the last second due to unforeseen circumstances". Unfortunate that there's no path back to Mazda for me, but I'm enjoying the BMW, and when my wife eventually wears out the Mazda3, a hybrid CX-30 will be a fine replacement to keep some Soul Red in the family.
I am thinking going down the same route, my only complain is that I can't really find an X3 M40i within the CX90/CX70 price range. Did you leased it ? in GTA ?

I am thinking going down the same route, my only complain is that I can't really find an X3 M40i within the CX90/CX70 price range. Did you leased it ? in GTA ?
CX-90s are a lot cheaper in Canada than in the US. Conversation about pricing gets very confusing between the two countries.

In Canada (using MSRP only, Canadian dollar)
Top of the line CX-90: 63,300$
Base X3 M40i: 72,300$

In the USA (again using MSRP only, US dollar this time)
Top of the line CX-90: 59,950$
Base X3 M40i: 61,900$

So in the US, price wise it makes sense to cross shop an X3 M40i with a CX-90, but in Canada not so much.

@GTEyes I guess it depends on your usage. And I know in the early days of the Cx-9 no captain chairs turned some people away from the car. But for me the captain chairs advantage of easier access to the third does not outweigh the disadvantages. In my usage, 90% of the time my third row is folded. If i had a need to use the third row on a regular basis then my opinion of the captain chair would be different. Why do I own a 3-row if I barely use the third row ? Because Mazda does not have a midsize SUV, and the CX-5 is not big enough for my need. Sadly like everyone here I was hoping the CX-70 would fill that gap, and it still doesn’t for me.
Bottom Line is the CX-90 should now be available with seating for 4 (Captains Chairs), 5, 6 or 7. And there should not be something called a CX-70 yet. That would have been the face saving play!

I financed, and it was a custom build. The last 2023 build slots were slow to fill up, so I ended up paying about $800 under MSRP (including mandatory adds), which is both the most markup I've ever paid for a car and an excellent deal by 2020s standards.

If you're considering a BMW, you have to accept that you're not going to get anything close to the value for money that Mazda offers.

In my case, BMW offered something unique (the B58/ZF8 is probably one of the very best pairings in the market), combined with a cabin layout and emphasis on physical controls that is very intuitive to a Mazda fan. And (for a German car), good fuel economy and expected reliability.

Is my X3 M40i worth nearly 3x what I paid for my fully-loaded Mazda3 Sport AWD? Absolutely not.
But money wasn't a major consideration, and it was the only vehicle in the segment that I enjoyed driving almost as much as my Mazdas, an area where even the Porsche Macan disappointed.

If I were more price-sensitive... that's a tough one. If you have access to a decent Genesis dealer (assuming such a thing exists), the GV-70 is worth a look. Otherwise... as disappointed as I am in the CX-70, it might actually be the best bet. Everything else is disappointing for its own reasons.

GFQ3InTXcAAMOL0
New Melting Copper color.

I removed the GV-70 from my list because of its reported poor reliability. That’s too bad because otherwise it would have been perfect.

CX-90s are a lot cheaper in Canada than in the US. Conversation about pricing gets very confusing between the two countries.

In Canada (using MSRP only, Canadian dollar)
Top of the line CX-90: 63,300$
Base X3 M40i: 72,300$

In the USA (again using MSRP only, US dollar this time)
Top of the line CX-90: 59,950$
Base X3 M40i: 61,900$

So in the US, price wise it makes sense to cross shop an X3 M40i with a CX-90, but in Canada not so much.
I know. He is in Canada as well, and sometimes you can find some good deals or even find a lease takeover with a good down payment which might be a middle ground, thats why I asked.
I financed, and it was a custom build. The last 2023 build slots were slow to fill up, so I ended up paying about $800 under MSRP (including mandatory adds), which is both the most markup I've ever paid for a car and an excellent deal by 2020s standards.

If you're considering a BMW, you have to accept that you're not going to get anything close to the value for money that Mazda offers.

In my case, BMW offered something unique (the B58/ZF8 is probably one of the very best pairings in the market), combined with a cabin layout and emphasis on physical controls that is very intuitive to a Mazda fan. And (for a German car), good fuel economy and expected reliability.

Is my X3 M40i worth nearly 3x what I paid for my fully-loaded Mazda3 Sport AWD? Absolutely not.
But money wasn't a major consideration, and it was the only vehicle in the segment that I enjoyed driving almost as much as my Mazdas, an area where even the Porsche Macan disappointed.

If I were more price-sensitive... that's a tough one. If you have access to a decent Genesis dealer (assuming such a thing exists), the GV-70 is worth a look. Otherwise... as disappointed as I am in the CX-70, it might actually be the best bet. Everything else is disappointing for its own reasons.
Yes, it will be tough for me to find something close to this value, thats why I said that I will bite the bullet and probably order a CX70 if I can't find a deal on an X3 M40i.
GFQ3InTXcAAMOL0
New Melting Copper color.
wow, I can't imagine that somebody will actually buy and drive a car that looks like this.

In my case, BMW offered something unique (the B58/ZF8 is probably one of the very best pairings in the market),

If you have access to a decent Genesis dealer (assuming such a thing exists), the GV-70 is worth a look. Otherwise... as disappointed as I am in the CX-70, it might actually be the best bet. Everything else is disappointing for its own reasons.
Yes, that is something people just don't understand. The B58, especially paired with the ZF8 is the trump card BWM holds and is figuring out how to play well.

We test drove the GV70 and liked it. I liked it especially because it is more "car like" than most crossover SUVs. However, by the time you trick it out, your are basically at BMW money. The 4 cylinder X3 (BMW should be ashamed to offer a vehicle with a power to weight ratio worse than my wife's minivan) is $47K and the GV70 is $45K. The 6 cylinders are $61K and $58K respectively and the B58 is worth every nickel of that $3K difference. Especially if you drive it some miles because the gas mileage of the Genesis V6 is pretty poor. I don't know if the mild hybrid in the BMWs are worth the weight penalty, but they are very efficient.

This was my whole dilemma and why I was waiting and hoping on the CX-70. The motor and transmission would not be near as good as the B58/ZF8. It would not be quite the vehicle all around. But it would have been $25K cheaper than a comparable X5.

Last edited:
I have seen pictures of the CX70 both with and without black plastic trim/cladding around the bottom and wheel wells like on the CX50. Obviously, that doesn’t show up (or is less of a factor) on the pictures of the black debut model, but I’ve seen it on some white versions, and I’ve also seen white versions without the black cladding.

I’m not a fan of black plastic cladding on any SUV, but I understand it as a practical consideration and (arguably) rugged look on an SUV intended to project more of an offroad image. But the black cladding doesn’t match the upscale aspirations for this model IMHO.

Is the black/plastic cladding only on less expensive trim levels???

I have seen pictures of the CX70 both with and without black plastic trim/cladding around the bottom and wheel wells like on the CX50. Obviously, that doesn’t show up (or is less of a factor) on the pictures of the black debut model, but I’ve seen it on some white versions, and I’ve also seen white versions without the black cladding.

I’m not a fan of black plastic cladding on any SUV, but I understand it as a practical consideration and (arguably) rugged look on an SUV intended to project more of an offroad image. But the black cladding doesn’t match the upscale aspirations for this model IMHO.

Is the black/plastic cladding only on less expensive trim levels???
From the info. I've seen, the US models are getting the back trim/cladding with no painted option. Canadian models get the painted trim on upper trim levels.

From the info. I've seen, the US models are getting the back trim/cladding with no painted option. Canadian models get the painted trim on upper trim levels.

That would kill it for me, living in the US, unless I bought the black model maybe.

That would kill it for me, living in the US, unless I bought the black model maybe.
Having said that, the promo materials for the 70 on the US site shows black painted mouldings so who knows.

Jonathan Sewell - a US Mazda salesman who posts lots of videos - says that the black moulding is US spec, while the body-colored moulding is Canadian-spec. That moulding is an absolute deal-breaker for me ... unless I can convince my wife to agree to the black exterior.

Jonathan Sewell - a US Mazda salesman who posts lots of videos - says that the black moulding is US spec, while the body-colored moulding is Canadian-spec. That moulding is an absolute deal-breaker for me ... unless I can convince my wife to agree to the black exterior.
Jonathan mentioned "door handles" as well, between CDN and USA versions.

Having said that, the promo materials for the 70 on the US site shows black painted mouldings so who knows.
So they make an upscale vehicle and then cheapen it to make it look more CX-5/CX-50 ish? Proving once again they do not understand the U.S. Market.

So they make an upscale vehicle and then cheapen it to make it look more CX-5/CX-50 ish? Proving once again they do not understand the U.S. Market.
Well, I don't know. They aren't alone.

Consider all those Honda commercials with the overly-tough-dude voice talking about their "rugged" Trailsport models. Pretty sure Toyota did something similar. Then you have Mazda come out with their idea of marketing for the CX-50, only to have the ads modified later—with a tougher voice, emphasizing its off-road prowess. I know the CX-70 isn't a rugged off-road vehicle but there seems to a theme in the US.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know. They aren't alone.

Consider all those Honda commercials with the overly-tough-dude voice talking about their "rugged" Trailsport models. Pretty sure Toyota did something similar. Then you have Mazda come out with their idea of marketing for the CX-50, only to have the ads modified later—with a tougher voice, emphasizing its off-road prowess. I know the CX-70 isn't a rugged off-road vehicle but there seems to a theme in the US.

I see this as an apples and oranges comparison. Mazda is absolutely NOT trying to target Honda and Toyota buyers with the CX70 or CX90 - and the prices reflect that. They are trying to pull buyers away from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus, plus tweeners like Acura and Infiniti. Or stated another way, they hope these vehicles elevate them to that level.

You can't target that audience and then give the vehicles cheap plastic cladding like a RAV4 or Subaru.

Yeah. It's not the best example. I hope the matte black cladding does not become a reality. Those two vehicles all the YouTubers were invited to show, was shot in New York, so it would stand to reason that they're US models. And on the Mazda USA website, the trim is glossy.

Latest posts

Back