CX-7 transmission info - fyi

Good info, thanks for sharing and it's amazing how transmission have gotten smaller and smaller over the years. Nothing like my 1972 Gran Torino Transmission. :O

I'd get a cooler for my Mazda CX-7, but don't plan on owning it that long.

Peace! :)

Sure !

Well, I should have just highlighted the few points worth mentioning and used the link as a citation .... lol. Not sure how many will follow it up to read even though it's a short one.
Let me hit the first few main points or paste some of the text ....

- Small as you say and now I'm wondering about the ATF capacity. Maybe it's the reason the set up claims no need for a transfusion due to to high capacity fluid. However, heat being the enemy, smaller might mean more heat retention. Anyone reading that information would quickly note the statement questioning a lifetime ATF closed system and the alternative view that this system should be flushed every 20,000 miles. ** That is 3 X times the norm for many transmissions. Maybe the point being it's worth it as cheap insurance.

- Complaints about harsh shifts, especially when the transmission is hot and under full power. The factory addressed the problem by replacing the entire valve body. The problem most likely stems from a stuck valve or warped valve body.

- ... seems to experience more computer issues than other modern transmissions. A common problem (at least according to Ford) is that hesitation may occur when accelerating. It usually only happens when the transmission is cold. The cure it to reprogram the computer using patches provided by the manufacturer. There are many other problems associated with the computer, too. So many that we just can’t list them all. If your customer’s transmission is acting up, the first thing I would do is conduct a computer scan, followed by a hard reset.

This (above) information shows it was posted in April of 2013. I'm not sure if this proves it to be the latest, current situations or a culmination of issues over the years.

Last edited:
Added thoughts (CX-7 and Tribute) as an on/off car shopper;

First, I was drawn to this as nice looking upscale vehicle for my wife who has preferred the taller-than-car advantage of seeing other traffic better as she drives. This started when we got our first van and the 'SUV' segment has better fit our wants/needs. We came to the CX-7 in 2012 after driving a Tribute for 7 years.
The most exciting thing about the CX-7 to me at the time was the lack of the Ford CD4E transmission. Simply put, I'd have not owned another one as it gave us some trouble and I later learned the Escape/Trib trans was way too common for an expensive 'glitch'. Also learned later and mentioned in the article linked above; Most transmisson info for rebuild or fix includes information on why and how they fail and how the kits to rebulid or fix them actually design the flaws out of the original system. You will actually read this information specific to the transmission if you buy the kit or parts yourself.
The CX-7 has been okay thus far and rides/drives nicer (more car-like) than the Tribute. To be fair, the CX is a crossover and the Trib had the towing package so this is not apples to apples.

Two things I really liked about our Tribute was the color, a two-tone titanium (maybe?) with lighter contrasting shade on the lower body clad-panels. Got lots of complements on the color and it was just dark enough to show off a nice gloss / shine when waxed. It didn't show dirt as bad as most colors though.

Secondly, the headlamps did a great job of lighting the road ahead. I do a fair amount of night driving and the Trib was far ahead of many other vehicles in my experience for ability to light the road with the headlamp/reflector design, factory type bulb and not considering the fog lamp use.

As for the CX-7, I thought it good news at the time of shopping that the Asin trans was used in lots of other vehicles and well tested by others as Volvo, Range Rover, Audi among other brands. I was wanting to be confident in Mazda but the CD4E had me waffling a bit. I did not learn anything of the MZR turbo timing chain issues and oil migration-sludge situation until later. Not sure if I'd have stepped over or not but I'm darn happy I got the ext warranty and will dot the I's and cross the T's in the maint book and scheduled services. We have a year more warranty taking us to mid June of 2015 and will not over shoot the 36,000 added mile limitation.

Last edited:
Back