P2096 on 2011 CX-7 2.3L Turbo

Posted this to another thread but though I should post here as well.

I recently encountered the P2096 code (current, pending and permanent) on my son's 2011 CX-7 2.3L Turbo which is preventing Emissions Inspection. Inspection shop wanted $150 to just "diagnose the possible cause."

There was a 2012 TSB repair/reprogramming for the P2096 code which was done on the car years before we bought it used - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2012/SB-10097947-2532.pdf. So I walked through many of the steps mentioned on this forum and others: inspected the manifold and exhaust system for cracks/leaks; inspected the engine air filter, air box and hoses for dirt, clogs, cracks, leaks; inspected the throttle body; inspected the air hoses to the intercooler and the intercooler itself; ran/reviewed the freeze frame data and live stream data for the upstream and downstream O sensors, the MAF, and the fuel trims, etc.; cleared the current and pending codes with my scan tool (permanent code wouldn't clear) - current and pending codes returned within a few miles of driving; cleared the codes again and then disconnected the battery terminals and then touched the leads together to try to discharge the capacitors and clear the permanent code, and then reconnected and let engine idle to hopefully reset programming on the PCM to current engine conditions (didn't clear the permanent codes); cleaned the O sensor harnesses and the MAF harness and the MAF itself (no change); replaced the MAF (no change in performance or freeze frame/live stream data). Codes still kicked.

And then, something said 'double check the air filter itself' - and I did but this time I also checked to confirm it was the right filter. Lo and behold, 3 self-performed oil changes ago (curiously right about when my son first notice the code started kicking) AutoZone pulled the wrong air filter off the shelf for my son - gave him a CX-9 filter rather than a CX-7 air filter - and he put it in. Lesson learned!!!. The two filters are different enough in size and shape (rounded edges versus squared edges) to cause the air box to fit imperfectly and allow extra air in. With the new proper filter in, the codes didn't kick again - not even after 10-15 miles of driving.

And, I replaced the spark plugs for good measure with the upgraded NGK Ruthenium HX plugs that I had bought when I though the plugs might be the issue. The removed plugs were OEM but not sure if they were the original plugs. So, replacing them made sense anyway - this was "fun" as I had to remove the intercooler to get to them (and the air box to easily remove the intercooler) and of course I lost one of the nuts in the engine bay black hole . . . never to be located again. WTH are engine bays like the Bermuda Triangle for nuts, bolts, screws and washers???

Anyway, I test drove her for about 10 miles - all good; and then my son drove her for about 30 more miles yesterday (highway and city) - all good. There are no current or pending codes; and the permanent code cleared as well.

My time aside, I'm in for $12 for MAF cleaner, $20 for new air filter, $50 for new plugs and $0.20 for an extra nut and lock washer - I'm returning the new MAF and O sensors.

Hopefully our P2096 mystery is solved and we can get this thing inspected and back on the road! And hopefully this helps any other Mazda owner with the dreaded, zombie-like P2096.

Latest posts

Back