cx-7 and problems

I'd definately take it in if it was a lot or more than it was the short two times it has happend but it hasn't and seems to be an intercooler issue. Oh the joys of having a top mount with a little duct for air.

99% of the time I get my gas at 76.

The CX-7 has a smaller turbo which spools up faster. It makes maxiumum torque 500 RPM sooner than the MS6 to get the heavier vehicle off the line quicker and to reduce any added turbo lag with the auto tranny. The MS6 manual states 93 octane recomended, 91 acceptable. My guess is that the bigger turbo making 30 more HP and holding boost 500 RPM higher is the reason for the 93 octane.

Well, I had my first problem. Only had the car a week (love it by the way!) (Copper red, AWD, GT, Lux package) and my upgraded Bose system would stop playing CD's. Would be listening to one, get out of the car, get back in a little bit later and it would freeze and do nothing. Could switch it to radio but that was it. Tried restarting the car couple of times..nothing...then a couple of hours later it was like nothing was wrong. First time didn't think to much of it, but then a it happened a few days later. Dealership is ordering me a new one....oh well

3000+ miles and no problems yet besides the ding/dent i got recently. when i brought it into the shop they fixed it nicely, but made another ding/dent in another location ><

My back up camera broke at 1100 miles, 2 weeks of ownership. Gotta wait 3 weeks for a replacement, as nobody stocks parts yet.

Mazda3 said:
The CX-7 has a smaller turbo which spools up faster. It makes maxiumum torque 500 RPM sooner than the MS6 to get the heavier vehicle off the line quicker and to reduce any added turbo lag with the auto tranny. The MS6 manual states 93 octane recomended, 91 acceptable. My guess is that the bigger turbo making 30 more HP and holding boost 500 RPM higher is the reason for the 93 octane.

i wonder if i can put the ms6 bigger turbo in the cx-7 and the ms6 ecu??

spike blue said:

It was reported in at least one magazine that one of the reasons for the reduced HP was to reduce the load on the automatic transmission

cx-7_racer said:
can you put a ms6 tranny in a cx-7?
You can do almost anything to any car. All you need is money, lots and lots of iit, usually (lol2)

spike blue said:

The MS6 ECU wouldn't control the auto tranny so that's kinda out but who is to say we couldn't just steal the map. Not sure about the turbo but I'll wait till ATP finishes the GT28 upgrade for the MS6.

bobd said:
It was reported in at least one magazine that one of the reasons for the reduced HP was to reduce the load on the automatic transmission

Yeah I read about reducing the load on the tranny as well but then someone posted on this board that our tranny is rated for a good deal more then the 2.3 is currently dishing out.

5k and no problemo . . . . Did hear the click when shifting from park to reverse one morning. Will get the TSB fix next time in, but it's really not a problem if you let the engine idle down after the cold start, prior to shifting. Ordinarily, I would do that anyways.

The purpose of the smaller turbo was that it spools up faster making max tq 500 RPM's lower to get the heavier CX-7 moving. The bigger turbo would create more of a lag situation. I think when CP-E comes out with their CAI, BOV, and downpipe it will give us all that 30 HP boost we are looking for.:)

Question...

Do you have to make sure the engine in a turbo is warm before shutting off?? My RX 8 is like that.....it won't start again if you shut off the car and the engine was cold. I hope I don't have to worry about this with a turbo engine. Thanks for your help.

You can shut off the motor hot or cold. Doesn't really make a difference to it seeing as it's basically your normal every day 2.3L Mazda motor that's just a little more stout with a turbo and direct injection tacked on.

The thing that you do need to be more mindful of is cooling the turbo if you've been flogging it a bit. That just requires about 30 seconds of idling while stopped.

cruzdreamer said:
Do you have to make sure the engine in a turbo is warm before shutting off?? My RX 8 is like that.....it won't start again if you shut off the car and the engine was cold. I hope I don't have to worry about this with a turbo engine. Thanks for your help.

if a rotary engine is still cold, you need to rev it to 3000rpm and hold it there, then shut it off while it's still at 3000rpm... this is to keep the spark plugs from fouling

what do u mean the rx8 rotary wont start again if u shut it down cold?? why? and is it a problem that fixes itself overnight.. or do u have to take it to dealer or something if it happens?

the plugs get fouled because when the engine is cold it runs rich... just shutting it off at idle will make that happen...
thats why you HAVE to shut it off at 3000rpm... rotaries have a hard time starting cold to begin with, that's why you have to do extra s***... it's not like a piston engine where it will run pretty much whenever and after whatever you do to it

TheMAN said:
if a rotary engine is still cold, you need to rev it to 3000rpm and hold it there, then shut it off while it's still at 3000rpm... this is to keep the spark plugs from fouling

Yep, you are right and I always be sure and do that!

Back