CX-50 Quirks or Minor Annoyances

MetroMike

2023 Mazda CX 50 Premium Plus Polymetal Gray
Had my CX-50 PPP for almost a year. One thing that is an ongoing issue is my drivers seat belt. On occasion when grabbing it to put it on it will seem locked on the post where it rests. Will take several tries to pull it down.

Is this just me or my vehicle?

I'm afraid it will fail to pull down someday. I am due for my first dealer service in the middle of March.

Had my CX-50 PPP for almost a year. One thing that is an ongoing issue is my drivers seat belt. On occasion when grabbing it to put it on it will seem locked on the post where it rests. Will take several tries to pull it down.

Is this just me or my vehicle?

I'm afraid it will fail to pull down someday. I am due for my first dealer service in the middle of March.
How fast are you pulling it? I’ve seen this happen in other cars when ppl pull it quickly and engage the auto lock. Pull it slow and it will go.

It was never an issue with my CX-5 when I had it. Just my normal pulling. Seems more prone to locking.

Second week into ownership and I found my first minor annoyance. I was cleaning the windshield and found that I could not lift the wiper arms up past the hood? So I broke out the handy dandy owners manual and this is what I found.

You have to perform the following steps to move the wiper arms into the service position:
  • Switch the ignition ON.
  • Switch the ignition OFF.
  • Press up the wiper switch to the MIST position 2 times within 30 seconds after switching the ignition OFF. When the procedure is completed, the wipers will operate and they stop at the service positions.
  • Raise the wipers arms.

Second week into ownership and I found my first minor annoyance. I was cleaning the windshield and found that I could not lift the wiper arms up past the hood? So I broke out the handy dandy owners manual and this is what I found.

You have to perform the following steps to move the wiper arms into the service position:
  • Press up the wiper switch to the MIST position 2 times within 30 seconds after switching the ignition OFF. When the procedure is completed, the wipers will operate and they stop at the service positions.
  • Raise the wipers arms.

Interesting. I guess this is a thing because some people have opened their hoods with the wipers up, damaging the hood and the wiper blades assemblies.

Interesting. I guess this is a thing because some people have opened their hoods with the wipers up, damaging the hood and the wiper blades assemblies.
I guess? This is the first car that we have ever owned where I have needed to do this. I always raise the wiper blades when I wash the cars. This allows me to clean the windshield and wipe the blades down. Just adds a few extra seconds to my wash time.

• Raise the wipers arms.

As ana alternative, can you just turn the ignition on, activate the wipers and then turn the ignition off when the wipers are up?

That would be a real pain in winter. Unless you can move them just enough below the hood to de-ice them.

As ana alternative, can you just turn the ignition on, activate the wipers and then turn the ignition off when the wipers are up?

That would be a real pain in winter. Unless you can move them just enough below the hood to de-ice them.
I guess I could, not sure if/how that might damage them given the procedure Mazda put in the OM. I am going to try it tonight to see where exactly the wipers stop.

Thankfully we got the PFP trim which includes wiper de-icers. ;)

I guess? This is the first car that we have ever owned where I have needed to do this. I always raise the wiper blades when I wash the cars. This allows me to clean the windshield and wipe the blades down. Just adds a few extra seconds to my wash time.
Well,l I know one other car that has this...My wife has a 2015 Nissan Juke and the wipers are similar to what you described and so is the procedure to move them to service position; I had to put them in service position a couple of times to change the wiper blades. A bad design IMO. My previous vehicle was a 2017.5 Nissan Murano which didn't have this annoying design but I could still put the wipers in service position! I think Nissan used the same wiper module for several models. I'm so happy my CX-5 doesn't have this as it sits outside and even if it has heated wipers, I still need to lift them up to clear the snow, ice and slush.

It was never an issue with my CX-5 when I had it. Just my normal pulling. Seems more prone to locking.
Did you try the passenger side, perhaps that's the way they're made or there's a problem with yours? I had a similar problem on my previous car a 2017.5 Nissan Murano except it was the passenger side; a protective guard was not properly snapped in place and was interfering with the belt mechanism and caused this problem and it was also harder to pull. Good luck and let us know the outcome;)

I guess I could, not sure if/how that might damage them given the procedure Mazda put in the OM. I am going to try it tonight to see where exactly the wipers stop.

Thankfully we got the PFP trim which includes wiper de-icers. ;)
Quoting myself to say that the service position for the wipers on the CX-50 are at the upmost position (both facing 12 o'clock).
Well,l I know one other car that has this...My wife has a 2015 Nissan Juke and the wipers are similar to what you described and so is the procedure to move them to service position; I had to put them in service position a couple of times to change the wiper blades. A bad design IMO. My previous vehicle was a 2017.5 Nissan Murano which didn't have this annoying design but I could still put the wipers in service position! I think Nissan used the same wiper module for several models. I'm so happy my CX-5 doesn't have this as it sits outside and even if it has heated wipers, I still need to lift them up to clear the snow, ice and slush.
Maybe Nissan wised up and stopped using them after 2015? haha I do agree with you, a bad design. Good point about needing to lift them up to clear the snow, etc.

Quoting myself to say that the service position for the wipers on the CX-50 are at the upmost position (both facing 12 o'clock).

Maybe Nissan wised up and stopped using them after 2015?
haha I do agree with you, a bad design. Good point about needing to lift them up to clear the snow, etc.
Re: service position it could be hard to replace the passenger side wiper blade when the time comes; perhaps it would be easier to open the hood and just lift the arm as required. The Juke service position is about halfway which sounds better to me. Let's hope Mazda doesn't borrow any more ideas from Nissan, who really wants a CVT in their Mazda :ROFLMAO: The Armada Platinum is the only Nissan with heater wipers...Go figure!

All Jukes had this issue but not the Murano, it had nothing to do with the year; a combination of hood design, wiper arm design and location of spindles. Some older folks like me may remember American cars from the late '60s and early '70s with concealed wipers; it sure looked nice looking from the front of the car but not practical at all in winter!

Last edited:
Just a general comment on the wipers, my previous VW Golf and my current Ford Edge both require wipers to be in service position to lift them otherwise they hit the hood.

My Golf had to do similar 'electronically' put in service position.

My Edge, I can actually just manually rotate the wiper arms up to service position and then lift from windshield as long as the car is not in run mode. Once ignition is in run mode, the wiper motors are active and hold them in the parked position. It also has the electronic service position, but I've never used it. I could tell the previous owner started the car with the wipers away from windshield because there was a small chip in the edge of the hood.

Just a general comment on the wipers, my previous VW Golf and my current Ford Edge both require wipers to be in service position to lift them otherwise they hit the hood.

My Golf had to do similar 'electronically' put in service position.

My Edge, I can actually just manually rotate the wiper arms up to service position and then lift from windshield as long as the car is not in run mode. Once ignition is in run mode, the wiper motors are active and hold them in the parked position. It also has the electronic service position, but I've never used it. I could tell the previous owner started the car with the wipers away from windshield because there was a small chip in the edge of the hood.
We can add CX-30 to the list...

Re: service position it could be hard to replace the passenger side wiper blade when the time comes; perhaps it would be easier to open the hood and just lift the arm as required. The Juke service position is about halfway which sounds better to me. Let's hope Mazda doesn't borrow any more ideas from Nissan, who really wants a CVT in their Mazda :ROFLMAO: The Armada Platinum is the only Nissan with heater wipers...Go figure!

All Jukes had this issue but not the Murano, it had nothing to do with the year; a combination of hood design, wiper arm design and location of spindles. Some older folks like me may remember American cars from the late '60s and early '70s with concealed wipers; it sure looked nice looking from the front of the car but not practical at all in winter!
Here are some pics of them in the service position. I think it would be harder trying to swap the PS blade with the hood up.🤷🏼‍♂️. LMAO about the CVT!

Seems to be becoming more common given the other vehicles mentioned here. Now that you confirmed the CX-30, who will be the first to check this out when they test drive a CX-90? Haha

20230309_174858.jpg
20230309_175013.jpg

That same procedure is necessary on the Mazda3 too, apparently. I guess it's the price we pay to have tucked wipers haha

Here are some pics of them in the service position. I think it would be harder trying to swap the PS blade with the hood up.🤷🏼‍♂️. LMAO about the CVT!

Seems to be becoming more common given the other vehicles mentioned here. Now that you confirmed the CX-30, who will be the first to check this out when they test drive a CX-90? Haha

View attachment 317756View attachment 317757
I meant with the wipers in their parked position but looking at your pics, you could probably reach out the passenger side wiper from the driver side. Just don't wear jeans with rivets and a belt with a big metal buckle :eek:

I guess so @sm1ke. I am also thinking I need to crawl out from under my rock as my "annoyance" seems to be commonplace. haha

@Freedom55, yes it is doable as I was able to make the reach* however my wife would not as she is 5' 4" so YMMV.

*No worries, I was wearing joggers and a t-shirt so there was no chance of scratches. Trust me, I thought of this before attempting.

Back