CX-5 vs CX-30

Just wondering how the suspensions / platforms compare between the new CX-30 coming vs the CX-5?

CX-30 is based on the 2019 Mazda3, torsion beam rear axle and all.

And for that reason, I*d be very wary of having one without a full assessment of how it compares. For the difference in price, you get a lot more car for your money with a CX5.

And for that reason, I*d be very wary of having one without a full assessment of how it compares. For the difference in price, you get a lot more car for your money with a CX5.

Agreed. The CX-30 is for people who don't care what kind of suspension the car has. It's a cheaper, rougher riding car built to a lower price, with the cost cutting you'd expect. Besides, it's just too small. I wouldn't want to go any smaller.

Agreed. The CX-30 is for people who don't care what kind of suspension the car has. It's a cheaper, rougher riding car built to a lower price, with the cost cutting you'd expect. Besides, it's just too small. I wouldn't want to go any smaller.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but have you actually tested the CX-30?
I found it extremely silent and quite premium, both the ride and in the interior.

Yes, I wouldn*t write it off unless I*d tried it. My experience with this torsion rear axle is from a CX3 which was from a Mazda 2 and way too soft for my liking but from a 3 it might be much bigger and better.

All reports that I've read about the 3's torsion bar rear is that it is as good functionally as the previous suspension.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

The torsion beam isn't used because it's better, it's used because it's less expensive. I'd rather have an independent rear with a multi link. All 4 wheels can move independently of each other.

According to Mazda/Toyota, torsion beam gives:
more interior room and less noises, in addition to lower cost.

The torsion beam isn't used because it's better, it's used because it's less expensive. I'd rather have an independent rear with a multi link. All 4 wheels can move independently of each other.

I agree in principle. But for the kind of driving most of us do, it barely matters. It's not necessarily worse in daily use.

To each his own. When you go over a pothole or bump (and there are a lot of bumps that you can't see on a road) with a torsion beam, it'll transmit some of that force to the other side. To me, it's hard to see it as anything other than cost cutting. Same with the deletion of the touchscreen, even if the new screen is 1 inch larger.

CX-30 will be lighter with same power 2.5NA - but knowing this is Mazda it will still do 60 in 7.6 seconds and have a 0.25 mpg advantage over a CX-5. Get the CX-5, only ++ in getting the 30 is interior which is next gen and the new screen and commander knob.

Well they couldn*t just be like we did it because we had to cheep out. Of course the only reason is because it*s cheeper. They had to save money so you could have a soft touch dash. Because we all sleep on our dashes. Lol sad.

To each his own. When you go over a pothole or bump (and there are a lot of bumps that you can't see on a road) with a torsion beam, it'll transmit some of that force to the other side. To me, it's hard to see it as anything other than cost cutting. Same with the deletion of the touchscreen, even if the new screen is 1 inch larger.

I have '14 Mazda3. Great handling.
My previous experience with torsion beam was with '05 Prius (wife's).
As you said, when it went over the railway while doing left turn, the tail hopped. I was very surprised...
You never know. Maybe Mazda tunes it much better now.
The difference will show when doing quick turns. If you drive slowly, maybe you won't feel the difference.
My wife did not complain about her Prius. I surely did not like it at all.

Last edited:

I am not so certain as you that it is only for cost cutting.
Based on what I read, including in caranddriver, this is more for packaging (it uses less space) and for suspension tuning, probably combined with the former (i.e. fitting it all in a smaller vehicle).
I think most drivers will be hard pressed to tell the difference, except that it's mostly better than the competition.
I'd definitely reserve judgement to a test drive.

We have a CX-5 and a Mazda 3 (previous gen). I must say it is more fun to drive the 3. The only downsides to it compared with the CX-5 are more road noise, which is corrected in the new gen, and less than convenient but usable back seat. Of course, it is also smaller overall.
Since Mazda 3 AWD is available and since I don't care about ground clearance and do care about weight, fuel economy and center of gravity, I'd be very tempted to get one.
CX-30 vs CX-5 depends on price and needs. You can definitely haul more stuff in the CX-5 and the back seat will be more roomy. However, likely the CX-30 will be less expensive and might have better handling.

BTW, The no touch screen is the new screen, is nicer and will be coming to the CX-5 as well.

SavageGeese has an excellent review of the Mazda 3 and spends some time talking about how and why they did the rear suspension. I came away with the impression that its a quality ride. I'm too lazy to look for the Youtube link.

Doubters, remember: there is more to a suspension than just springs. Torsion bars will be inferior when all other factors are equal, which they never are.

Knowing how good Mazda is with suspensions, the 3's torsion bar could easily be better than a multilink from a maker who isn't so good.

If you want to see how bad the CX-30 is in emergency handling, you can check out this youtube channel.... km77. They do moose test.
CX5 handles better than CX-30...
CX5 here:

CX-30 here:

The difference is surprising to me.
See how the rear end bounces... Remind me of my wife's old Prius. :(

I agree. In most driving, that does not matter.
To each one's own.

Last edited:
What I find odd is that the CX5 and the CX30 have the same engines but Mazda lists the CX30's engine with one less horse power.

Back