CX-5 turbo detuned during break in?

If you test-drove in cold weather (<20F ?), youll have some detuning designed by Mazda (dont know why) on CX-5 2.5T as observed by many:

Winter is here...and my cx5 turbo is now a 2.0!

Ive never heard any car manufactures detuned a new vehicle during break-in period. Or they wont put series of warnings during break-in period in owners manual for new owners.

Personally Ive test-driven both CX-5 2.5 T and 2.5L back-to-back and I was not impressed the extra power from the 2.5T. Even the GM of my Mazda dealer who is driving a 2019 CX-5 Signature told me in advance that dont expect too much on power from 2.5T based on his personal experience. And I can attest to his statement after the test-drive.

I can attest to very noticeable difference in power between the turbo and non on my test drives.

I'm too old and have no desire to waste time recording myself doing 0-60 runs. :) I am supplying data. Just like Bird and that new poster who only test drove one. No videos from them, even though I believe bird is experiencing it. I don't need a video from him/her to prove it.

Your data is your opinion. It cannot be quantified or analyzed, and your ego keeps me from putting too much weight on it.
"Mine couldn't possibly have an issue, or I'd notice it."

Okay, lol.

Just admit it. You're too invested in yourself to actually give us data just in case you're wrong. First it was "oh, my neighborhood...couldn't possibly do a 0-60"
Now it's...
"Oh, I'm old...its a waste of time..."

Your data is your opinion. It cannot be quantified or analyzed, and your ego keeps me from putting too much weight on it.
"Mine couldn't possibly have an issue, or I'd notice it."

Okay, lol.

Just admit it. You're too invested in yourself to actually give us data just in case you're wrong. First it was "oh, my neighborhood...couldn't possibly do a 0-60"
Now it's...
"Oh, I'm old...its a waste of time..."

Slow your roll, Uno. Why is my "opinion" less valuable than anyone that has the same issue as you? Maybe because their's fit your narrative? (yes)

What does this have to do with my ego? You have no idea who I am, nor I you. I state my opinions on an internet forum and you, yours. I don't think you're egotistical, because you were able to detect your 20 degree performance issue and decided to quantify it. I don't think you believe you're so superior to the rest of us, that only YOU are capable of detecting this with your vast track experience. Maybe I'm wrong...

And lastly, yes, I can come up with a plethora of reasons why I won't record myself doing 0-60 runs. Would you like more? (shrug)

Slow your roll, Uno. Why is my "opinion" less valuable than anyone that has the same issue as you? Maybe because their's fit your narrative? (yes)

What does this have to do with my ego? You have no idea who I am, nor I you. I state my opinions on an internet forum and you, yours. I don't think you're egotistical, because you were able to detect your 20 degree performance issue and decided to quantify it. I don't think you believe you're so superior to the rest of us, that only YOU are capable of detecting this with your vast track experience. Maybe I'm wrong...

And lastly, yes, I can come up with a plethora of reasons why I won't record myself doing 0-60 runs. Would you like more? (shrug)

Because no data exists to support your stance. Literally every cx5 turbo and cx9 turbo that has been put on the clock in sub 20f weather, backs my assertion, therefore, the burden of proof is on the person with zero data, and zero references of data, to support their claim.

Otherwise I could assert that after 20k miles, the cx5t unlocks another fuel map and runs mid 5s 0-60. I could then refuse to quantify this with data, relying instead on my own perceptions. In such a way, I'd be just as credible as you are right now.

No, I dont need more excuses. You're good. The difference between you, and I, is that I dont trust organics. People are full of s***. Our bodies are s*** measuring tools for some things, acceleration being one of those things. I acknowledge this personal and universal failure, and bring data. You on the other hand refuse to. Ego or ignorance. I chose I ascribe it to ego. I on the other hand, acknowledging these things, brought a stopwatch in and also consulted industry contacts, who confirmed what I felt and my clock showed. Ego/experience/whatever < Data

Last edited:
Because no data exists to support your stance. Literally every cx5 turbo and cx9 turbo that has been put on the clock in sub 20f weather, backs my assertion, therefore, the burden of proof is on the person with zero data, and zero references of data, to support their claim.

I'll just reply to this and ignore the blabber that followed.

You were provided videos of a CX-9. One video was a run with temps above 20 degrees f and the other, below. Was there a 3 second difference? No, it was closer to 1 second, which is not supporting your claim. Where are these other videos you reference?

It*s the non turbo 2.5 also lots of customers complaining. I have drivin a lot of them off the lot and both turbo and na. And they are all gutless when it*s -10 etc

10 miles and hitting 5,000 rpm in low gear. So much for breaking in a new car for the first 500-600 miles.

That's why I would never buy a demo or a rental car.

I drove mine like a baby the first 600 miles. In fact, I was at 590 miles on a trip back form the grocery store and just drove around for another 10 so I could finally take it out and open it up.

I'll just reply to this and ignore the blabber that followed.

You were provided videos of a CX-9. One video was a run with temps above 20 degrees f and the other, below. Was there a 3 second difference? No, it was closer to 1 second, which is not supporting your claim. Where are these other videos you reference?

1 second 0-60 doesn't strike you as a significant power reduction? You realize that's the difference between a dodge viper and a mustang gt, or a Rav4 hybrid and a cx5 turbo?

That's why I would never buy a demo or a rental car.

I drove mine like a baby the first 600 miles. In fact, I was at 590 miles on a trip back form the grocery store and just drove around for another 10 so I could finally take it out and open it up.

I bought a rental 2015 .engine was fine. Trans, too. Diff also until I flooded it lol

These turbos make much more power when using premium, perhaps the CX that was tested did not have premium in the tank?

Yrwei posts image of the torque curve in 3...2...1...

These turbos make much more power when using premium, perhaps the CX that was tested did not have premium in the tank?

The fuel in my tank does not change itself out in 5 minutes. On a night where the temps were right at 20*f (sometimes 19, sometimes 21, as you know they vary), I tested multiple times, and when it dipped...mere minutes apart on the runs...the power went.

1 second 0-60 doesn't strike you as a significant power reduction? You realize that's the difference between a dodge viper and a mustang gt, or a Rav4 hybrid and a cx5 turbo?

1 second is a whole helluva lot on 0-60 like you're saying. You're talking to a brick wall here that's simply too hard headed or wet behind the ears to understand anything car related, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it.

Yrwei posts image of the torque curve in 3...2...1...
You shouldnt feel any extra power or torque with premium gas on 2.5T unless you rev the engine over 4,000 rpm:

Here's the torque curve:

TC.png

source: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/12/2019-mazda-cx-5-turbo-first-drive-your-italian-alternative/

1 second is a whole helluva lot on 0-60 like you're saying. You're talking to a brick wall here that's simply too hard headed or wet behind the ears to understand anything car related, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it.

Indeed. One one hand he is an acceleration maven, and on the other, he refuses to do anything more aggressive than watch his wife merge onto the freeway. It's an interesting hill he's decided to make his stand on, lol! (and why did he get the turbo anyways? Genuinely curious)

You shouldnt feel any extra power or torque with premium gas on 2.5T unless you rev the engine over 4,000 rpm:

I wish there was a love button. Thanks for obliging! :D

Were you not claiming a 9+ second 0-60? I don't have time to search your old threads now, but that's what I thought you were claiming. A 1 second difference could be caused by a number of factors. Barometric pressure, road and tire conditions, etc... But you know this, since you spent all that time at the track. :)

So who are you? Your butt dyno is more accurate than the instrument and clock?

I don't judge chicks by the size and shape of their butts but rather by the accuracy of their butt dyno! (wink)

On a serious note if the power is tuned differently during colder ambient temps.....you could fool the temp sensors couldn't you? Perhaps a back warmer or some icy hot lol near the sensor :)

Were you not claiming a 9+ second 0-60? I don't have time to search your old threads now, but that's what I thought you were claiming. A 1 second difference could be caused by a number of factors. Barometric pressure, road and tire conditions, etc... But you know this, since you spent all that time at the track. :)

A 1 second 0-60 difference would have to be one helluva environmentals stacking against you scenario. Especially in an AWD car with an automatic transmission. The only thing that could cause it would likely be gross elevation change, like trying it in Florida vs. Denver.

I don't judge chicks by the size and shape of their butts but rather by the accuracy of their butt dyno! (wink)

On a serious note if the power is tuned differently during colder ambient temps.....you could fool the temp sensors couldn't you? Perhaps a back warmer or some icy hot lol near the sensor :)

You might could...but maybe outsmarting a multi-thousand dollar computer with a hot-hands pack isn't going to end well for the engine it controls? I'd be leery, lol!

Back