CX-5 turbo detuned during break in?

ViperT4

:
2008 G8 GT
Hey all- first post. I test drove a 2019 CX-5 GT Reserve yesterday, and had driven the non-turbo the day before. I can feel a little extra grunt with the turbo car low in the rpm range but overall I find the acceleration pretty lack luster. I noticed that in first gear it was shifting at 5,000 rpm and in higher gears was only spinning to 5,600. It was a brand new car; like 10 miles new. I'm guessing that the tune is just taking it easy until the engine gets broken in, but can anyone confirm this?

I've never heard of a car knowing when the break-in period is done and "unlocking" a new tune, but I haven't driven many cars and technology is always changing. That said, I don't think that was the case.

What were the outside temperatures during your test drive yesterday? Some members have reported a "detune" that seems to initiate once temps go below 20F. I'm thinking that that's probably what happened.

It's pretty easy to do but I'm not sure how common it is in the industry. All you'd do is probably be limited to certain rpm, timing, in this case boost etc for the first 500 miles or whatever the engineers want. The new Corvette does these things to limit torque output to facilitate desirable wear patterns on gears in the transmission: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...educed-torque-during-drivetrain-break-in.html

I'm guessing, but hopeful that's what's up with the brand new cars I'm test driving. Maybe I can get my hands on a used one near me for a test drive and compare. I was wondering if any owners here would chime in if they notice an increase in performance after the initial purchase?

And It was cold out, like 17* but I had the car fully warmed up. I don't know of a situation where you'd need to limit engine performance because of temperature. You should make more hp with the denser air, if anything.

Last edited:
And It was cold out, like 17* but I had the car fully warmed up. I don't know of a situation where you'd need to limit engine performance because of temperature. You should make more hp with the denser air, if anything.

Speaking for myself, the "detune" makes sense to me as colder temps mean colder pavement and harder tires, leading to a reduction in traction. Then, add the possibility of icy/snowy conditions. I have a theory that the car is detuned below a specific temperature because of these factors, but it would be great if Mazda would just come out and explain the true reasoning behind it.

I've been waiting to test the cold weather detune in my CX-9 (shares the same engine), but it just hasn't been safe enough to attempt a rolling WOT acceleration test here due to the packed snow/ice on the roads. In practice, I don't see myself ever needing full power in temps below 20F (-7c) because I wouldn't be able to maintain usable traction due to the road conditions (and I'm on winter tires).

Thanks for the info on the new Corvette, that's interesting.

If this was even remotely a possibility, then it wouldn't be shifting at 5,000+ rpms.

It would upshift long before winding the engine out.

Hey all- first post. I test drove a 2019 CX-5 GT Reserve yesterday, and had driven the non-turbo the day before. I can feel a little extra grunt with the turbo car low in the rpm range but overall I find the acceleration pretty lack luster. I noticed that in first gear it was shifting at 5,000 rpm and in higher gears was only spinning to 5,600. It was a brand new car; like 10 miles new. I'm guessing that the tune is just taking it easy until the engine gets broken in, but can anyone confirm this?
If you test-drove in cold weather (<20F ?), youll have some detuning designed by Mazda (dont know why) on CX-5 2.5T as observed by many:

Winter is here...and my cx5 turbo is now a 2.0!

Ive never heard any car manufactures detuned a new vehicle during break-in period. Or they wont put series of warnings during break-in period in owners manual for new owners.

Personally Ive test-driven both CX-5 2.5 T and 2.5L back-to-back and I was not impressed the extra power from the 2.5T. Even the GM of my Mazda dealer who is driving a 2019 CX-5 Signature told me in advance that dont expect too much on power from 2.5T based on his personal experience. And I can attest to his statement after the test-drive.

It's pretty easy to do but I'm not sure how common it is in the industry. All you'd do is probably be limited to certain rpm, timing, in this case boost etc for the first 500 miles or whatever the engineers want. The new Corvette does these things to limit torque output to facilitate desirable wear patterns on gears in the transmission: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...educed-torque-during-drivetrain-break-in.html

I'm guessing, but hopeful that's what's up with the brand new cars I'm test driving. Maybe I can get my hands on a used one near me for a test drive and compare. I was wondering if any owners here would chime in if they notice an increase in performance after the initial purchase?

It doesnt matter if the engine is warmed up or not. If the ambient temperature falls below 20F, the 2.5T is detuned all the time. Read the thread.

It doesnt matter if the engine is warmed up or not. If the ambient temperature falls below 20F, the 2.5T is detuned all the time. Read the thread.
This is getting old, but not all exhibit this.
Yeah have you actually clocked your 2.5T below 20F? I saw a couple of actual 0-60 data in that thread, all showed at least 1+ second slower when temperature is below 20F and the engine is warmed up! Even if not all 2.5Ts exhibit this issue, the one OP test-driven might since it was 17F and he felt the power was lacking. OP thought that detuned issue in cold weather on 2.5T if any should be gone since his sample had fullly warmed up. But based on reports thiss not the case. You loose power even if youve warmed up the engine in cold weather.

Cold weather performance loss that is likely to impact all turbo 2.5s. Those claiming theirs isnt impacted have no data to support it.

The OPs description matches what others, including myself have reported. Initial grunt is there then it falls flat and power delivery is linear.

Cold weather performance loss that is likely to impact all turbo 2.5s. Those claiming theirs isn*t impacted have no data to support it.

The OPs description matches what others, including myself have reported. Initial grunt is there then it falls flat and power delivery is linear.

Here's the thing. Those of you that are experiencing this issue accept when others can feel the power loss, but reject those that do not. As I've reiterated, going from mid to high 6 second 0-60, to a 9 second 0-60 is not something that would go unnoticed. Especially, by me.

Here's the thing. Those of you that are experiencing this issue accept when others can feel the power loss, but reject those that do not. As I've reiterated, going from mid to high 6 second 0-60, to a 9 second 0-60 is not something that would go unnoticed. Especially, by me.

Ok-so prove that by testing and documenting instead of just claiming it feels fine.

I dont want anyones car to have this issue. its just highly unlikely this tuning issue only impacts some vehicles.

So who are you? Your butt dyno is more accurate than the instrument and clock?

Nope. You're experiencing the cold weather boost cut. Wait until its in t he mid 20's or warmer, and you'll love it. It's a limp dishrag at 20 and below.

I know that's your opinion, but you have nothing to back it up with, as you refuse to supply had data, citing a plethora of excuses.

If you test-drove in cold weather (<20F ?), you*ll have some detuning designed by Mazda (don*t know why) on CX-5 2.5T as observed by many:

Winter is here...and my cx5 turbo is now a 2.0!

I*ve never heard any car manufactures detuned a new vehicle during break-in period. Or they won*t put series of warnings during break-in period in owner*s manual for new owners.

Personally I*ve test-driven both CX-5 2.5 T and 2.5L back-to-back and I was not impressed the extra power from the 2.5T. Even the GM of my Mazda dealer who is driving a 2019 CX-5 Signature told me in advance that don*t expect too much on power from 2.5T based on his personal experience. And I can attest to his statement after the test-drive.

Having killed a 6.2 Raptor SVT and Civic SI from a freeway roll, I strongly contest that opinion. Try that in your NA 2.5...

I know that's your opinion, but you have nothing to back it up with, as you refuse to supply had data, citing a plethora of excuses.

I'm too old and have no desire to waste time recording myself doing 0-60 runs. :) I am supplying data. Just like Bird and that new poster who only test drove one. No videos from them, even though I believe bird is experiencing it. I don't need a video from him/her to prove it.

Back