CX-5 tows trailer nicely

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
I made a dump run today after demolishing an old woodshed. I also had an old picnic table and the carcass of an old water heater in trailer. The trailer weights around 850 and the load according to the dump was 850 lbs. This trailer doesn't have electric brakes so don't want to exceed the 2k pound rating. I could hardly tell the trailer was back there. I can see if trailer was braked that the 3500 lb rating outside of US is more than do-able.

It's kinda funny.. where my cabin is located everyone thinks you need a 1 ton dually, crew cab diesel to tow any type of trailer. Obviously the capabilities of those vehicles are impressive but few actually need them. If I had a 30+ foot 5th wheel it would be a given.

I made a dump run today after demolishing an old woodshed. I also had an old picnic table and the carcass of an old water heater in trailer. The trailer weights around 850 and the load according to the dump was 850 lbs. This trailer doesn't have electric brakes so don't want to exceed the 2k pound rating. I could hardly tell the trailer was back there. I can see if trailer was braked that the 3500 lb rating outside of US is more than do-able.

It's kinda funny.. where my cabin is located everyone thinks you need a 1 ton dually, crew cab diesel to tow any type of trailer. Obviously the capabilities of those vehicles are impressive but few actually need them. If I had a 30+ foot 5th wheel it would be a given.

Look in my sig; you can get firestone ride rites that slide into the spring. Takes some weight off the spring helps preserve chassis and makes braking better. They cost like $99 I used to have some. I sent them back because they didnt fit my lower spring

Good to hear as the CX-5 is at the top of my list to replace my current vehicle, an Escape 2.3 MT-5. I have towed a utility trailer quite a bit, having moved away from pickups due to fuel economy several years back. Not everyone needs a dually to get a reasonable amount of work done.

I cold see pulling my 1,000 boat and trailer. But not my 1,000 lb. trailer with 1,500 lbs of motorcycles = 2,500

My Carry-on 4' x 7' mesh utility trailer weights about 300 pounds, and is rated for 2000 pounds payload. It is rated for high-speed use and I have towed to adjacent states and such. Over those distances, it was usually a dirtbike or 600cc streetbike, well under 400 pounds. Probably the heaviest loads were two Bobcat scoops of topsoil or ~1500 pounds of bagged concrete mix, but those were a quick local trips.

Back