CX-5 Tech Pkg Xenon Bulb Swap (pics)

The CX-5's with HID's are Bi-Xenon, which only use one bulb for both high and low beam. There is a shutter that is opened when you put your high beams on. There is no additional light, just more light projected through the lens.

That is correct, edited post.

Raden,
In order to access the HID bulbs, do you remove the fenders under the wheel arch or do you access if from the engine bay?

Raden,
In order to access the HID bulbs, do you remove the fenders under the wheel arch or do you access if from the engine bay?

jackcfk,

You do not need to remove anything at all, you can access the entire thing from the engine bay. I got a few pics and a vid coming in a bit.

Quick lunch time vid I shot on my Droid Razr Maxx. I just wanted to show what everything looks like inside. I was unable to do a full replacement at the time.

Original post located at: http://bit.ly/NIPUQJ
__________________________________________________ ___________________

***Disclaimer*** This video is for informational purposes only. I am not responsible for your actions. Make sure to disconnect the battery before replacing the Xenon bulbs.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Man I really appreciate this write up and the video raden. You have no idea how helpful this is going to be when I replace my bulbs. Again thx for taking your time off to upload the video. Much appreciated ;)

So what would I need to add HID's to a touring? Do you tap into the stock headlight wiring?

You're both welcome! I wish I could have done more!

Eric,

All you would need is an HID kit such as this one:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

35w, H11 bulbs, and their 4500 and 5000k bulbs which are closest to pure white. I've had both on my Mazda 3.

You should not need anything else. They will use the existing factory wiring. If you do the install, please document it if you can :)

Damn, I thought the lights themselves were over $100. I can't believe they're that cheap.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
EricF,

I read the following from another post here:

If you have a CX-5 with With halogen bulb headlights (Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring without Tech Package) in US model use the following:
Headlights Low: H11 (H11)
Headlights High: HB3 (HB3)
Daytime running lights: HB3 (HB3)

Headlights High and DRL are the same exact bulb and socket in the light assembly used for both purposes.

That being said, it should just be a straight swap. Keep in mind, I have never had my hands on the touring/non tech package model so I am not 100% sure. I would advise that when you get your car, familiarize yourself with it's workings and then try the swap with a single headlight.

Let us know of your outcome!

yeah i also have a grand touring w/ out tech package and i wanted to switch out the halogen bulbs with the DDM HID's
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

I dont wanna mess anything up in the car just a little scared to install it on my car. Raden could you help explain a little more on how to exactly install it with the ballasts and all. Eric please let me know the results of your car and any issues throughout the proccess. Thank you so much you guys are really big help.

I just join this forum, please to meet you all :)

btw, I installed the 5000k version of philips 42402 CX replacing the OEM from Mazda (Osram Xenarc 4200K). My CX5 is AFS version, the AFS works fine, and for the hi beam works fine also.

20120803_213405.jpg

20120803_213543.jpg

I just join this forum, please to meet you all :)

btw, I installed the 5000k version of philips 42402 CX replacing the OEM from Mazda (Osram Xenarc 4200K). My CX5 is AFS version, the AFS works fine, and for the hi beam works fine also.

20120803_213405.jpg

20120803_213543.jpg

Those look very nice Wi_lee!

Man just tried today for the bulb swap and I just couldn't get the bulb out. It's held in very tight and I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the power cable holding the bulb..... Should I give up? Or try again? How did you guys disconnect the power cable for the bulb?

Man just tried today for the bulb swap and I just couldn't get the bulb out. It's held in very tight and I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the power cable holding the bulb..... Should I give up? Or try again? How did you guys disconnect the power cable for the bulb?

That happened to me too when i was installing. Just keep trying and twist and pull it out. I couldn't get it so i had one of my friends help me. Or u can try removing the oem wire first then twist the bulb out.

I spent more then an hour trying to get the bulb out but I just couldn't.. I don't want to pull too hard to rip the wiring.... Man I really want to do the swap but I think I'm going to pass on this...

Back