CX-5 Sales continue to set records

I stMd correct

I stand corrected. I can admit when I'm wrong.

Sure the numbers are meh compared to...everyone else. But the SUV numbers continue to go up which is really great. If you were ever worried about Mazda leaving the US market over that paltry 3% market share, this should reassure you.
And as someone said, the increase in CPO Mazda's is HUGE for resale. Mazda said a year or so ago they want to get resale values up. That's a big part of how you do that. Move more CPO's.

This is all good news. Stop asking Mazda to move upscale. Get an Acura or Lexus if that's what you want.

Hey, 3%! Last I heard it was 2%. :)

Sadly, as has already been pointed out, Mazda wants to move upmarket. Personally not a direction I am a fan of.

They want to move up to tap the shoulders of the bottom end luxos

Slow sales of the CX-3 and CX-9 don't surprise me. They're both too small for their segments, or two expensive for their size depending on how you want to look at it.

No. CX-3 sales are bad because, frankly, the car sucks. And CX-9 sales are up and have been every month in 2017.

The seven-passenger Mazda CX-9 crossover SUV finished the month up 7.0 percent YOY, with 1,971 vehicles sold in the month of October.

Agreed, the CX-3 is not likely to be around much longer here in the USA. Just like the Mazda2 it is based on, while both great little cars, they are simply too small for most of this market.

The CX-5 feels like it is right where Mazda wants it at the moment.

Still waiting for Mazda to give some life to the Mazda6... (doughpoke

Last edited:
Sales of 1,971 vehicles is pathetic. It's about 1% market share in the midsized segment, where the segment leaders are selling 10x more. And a 7% year over year increase means the CX-9 is losing market share, because the segment overall is up 15%.

Sure the numbers are meh compared to...everyone else. But the SUV numbers continue to go up which is really great.
No. CX-3 sales are bad because, frankly, the car sucks. And CX-9 sales are up and have been every month in 2017.

The seven-passenger Mazda CX-9 crossover SUV finished the month up 7.0 percent YOY, with 1,971 vehicles sold in the month of October.
Im sorry these two claims of yours are simply not true! Please check the history of US sales figures on Mazda for yourself.

Cx3 makes no sense when cx5 is right there in terms of price... colleague has despite me saying just get the 5..he likes the compact footprint and is happy with it just hates that he can barely go 300 miles before having to fill up.

Yes cx9 sales are up but against some pretty weak comps..HL and Pilot outsell it almost 10 and 5 to 1, respectively so yeah color me unimpressed. 20+k Highlanders in sep17 vs 15k and 12k in the 2 prior years months...now that's growth!

Sales of 1,971 vehicles is pathetic. It's about 1% market share in the midsized segment, where the segment leaders are selling 10x more. And a 7% year over year increase means the CX-9 is losing market share, because the segment overall is up 15%.
You know just about everyone outsells Mazda by a huge margin, right?

Im sorry these two claims of yours are simply not true! Please check the history of US sales figures on Mazda for yourself.

I don't think you are sorry. If you're going to call me a liar maybe you should prove it instead of asking me to? But I will this one time.

January: The Mazda CX-9 posted an increase of 210.7 percent YOY, with 1,591 vehicles sold.
February: Sales of the Mazda CX-9 rose 368 percent YOY with 2,157 vehicles sold in the month of February.
March: Mazda CX-9 roared to an impressive March, recording 2,550 sales. With a 2079.5-percent YOY increase, this represents CX-9s best March since 2013.
April: The midsize, three-row Mazda CX-9 continues to build momentum, tallying 2,134 sales. This represents CX-9s best April since 2011 when it posted 2,750 sales. (Sold 71 in April 2016).
May: Sales of the seven-passenger Mazda CX-9 rose 221.8 percent YOY with 1,982 vehicles sold in the month of May.
June: Sales were down 10% (This was the worst month in the auto industry when only 2 or 3 automakers posted gains).
July: The three-row Mazda CX-9 finished the month up 3.3 percent YOY, with 2,318 vehicles sold.
August: Down 3.3%
September: Sales of the seven-passenger Mazda CX-9 rose 0.9 percent YOY with 1,850 vehicles sold in the month of September.
October: The seven-passenger Mazda CX-9 crossover SUV finished the month up 7.0 percent YOY, with 1,971 vehicles sold in the month of October.
(Bold written by me)
OK. OK. You were right. I was wrong. I will amend my statement. Something tells me you were expecting far worse Yrwei.

Amended statement:
Mazda had a pretty ******* impressive year with the CX-9. In 8 out of 10 months in 2017, the CX-9 had gains including March with a mind blowing 2,080% increase over the previous March.

The CX-9 is a winner, there's simply no denying it.

I will certainly agree the numbers aren't s***. We know that. Are you new here? Honda sells more Pilots in a day then Mazda sells CX-5's in a month. Mazda isn't going to get Honda type numbers in the US overnight (or ever I'm sure). That's still over 60 MILLION in sales on one car for one month.

Last edited:
Monthly year-over-year sales growth of the CX-9 was meaningless for the first five months of 2017 because the CX-9 was basically off the market during that period. There was a gap between discontinuing the old model and introducing the new model during which the inventory of the previous model disappeared for a few months. The new model came on the market in May 2016. If you compare the period of June-Oct 2016 with June-Oct 2017, sales are flat, 9686 last year vs. 9639 this year. Frankly, that performance sucks in a segment that is growing at a rate of around 15%. The CX-9 never made any dent in that market and its market share is shrinking.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/mazda/mazda-cx-9/

In contrast, the CX-5 has about 5% market share and is keeping pace with the growth rate of the segment. That's not bad.

Even the CX-3 has about 2.5% market share, albeit in a smaller segment.

Last edited:
What speaks to me is crv vs cx5 is ~3:1 yet Highlander vs cx9 ~10:1! The 9 is a winner but its not really winning..is it?

What speaks to me is crv vs cx5 is ~3:1 yet Highlander vs cx9 ~10:1! The 9 is a winner but its not really winning..is it?
Yea. It is. People are discovering it. 2017 was it's best year ever. If 2017 was a bad year, I'd agree. 3 years ago it was probably 15-1 vs Highlander.
Let's see what 2018 brings.

2017 is everybody's best year because the segment is growing at a fast rate.

And as I pointed out with data, sales of the CX-9 aren't any better so far this year compared to last, unless you include the portion of 2016 when the model wasn't on the market yet.

What data?
/Checks... ohhh the data you added 15 minutes later? Got it.
Yea, I figured there had to be a reason for the slow sales in 16. But the CX-9 still had 2 months of sales in 17 that beat its best ever months, not just 2016.
What can I say? I'm an optimist.

Back