CX-5 rates dead last in Motorweek Compact SUV comparison

Who were the idiots in the video? They looked like they pulled up to WalMart's parking lot and grabbed people and told them to review the vehicles. They were not car enthusiast professionals, that is for sure. The one guy had a stain on his sweatshirt. Bunch of clowns. In the video they said they grabbed a family with kids off of the street to drive and review the cars. Yeah, that's who I want to trust is a soccer mom.

People like that want a car that is dull, uninspiring, boring, and disconnected from the driver. That is why Corolla's sell so many cars. Car enthusiasts rip on the Corolla all the time for its dead soulless driving but moms love them.

Car and Driver, Motortrend and other professional car reviewers put the CX5 as #1. I trust them over those WalMart shoppers they used for MotorWeek.

Last edited:
A number of professionals from Car and Driver mag rated it number one.
A random group of people with a drivers license rated it dead last,

I am OK with that.

Knocking a car down in the ratings because of your understanding of how to install a child safety seat reminds me of the consumer reports tests of imports in the 60s. If the turn signal or head light switch was in the "Wrong" place the car was disqualified as dangerous.

Depends on how someone rates a vehicle to where it will land on the list. The honda came out number one because it does everything everything well but nothing exceptional. Well for me I wanted a drivers vehicle with good mpg and fun to drive. It also had to have a 6 speed manual transmission. I don't know of any of the others that offer it. The transmission on the CX-5 can't be beat. Even though my car is slow it is still great fun.
I would not have been happy with any of the other vehicles.

I don't feel any need to justify buying our CX-5 in light of this 'review'. We drove them all, some as many as 3 times before deciding. The Mazda was the clear cut winner, with the Escape, Rogue and RAV4 as the also rans. The rest were just plain bad.

Depends on how someone rates a vehicle to where it will land on the list. The honda came out number one because it does everything everything well but nothing exceptional. Well for me I wanted a drivers vehicle with good mpg and fun to drive. It also had to have a 6 speed manual transmission. I don't know of any of the others that offer it. The transmission on the CX-5 can't be beat. Even though my car is slow it is still great fun.
I would not have been happy with any of the other vehicles.

Right, I agree. There are only two models on that list that offer a manual. Between them, the Mazda is the clear choice for me. I only wish I could get it a little better equipped with a manual.

Before I bought my SUV I read all the "Expert" reviews on the cars and the comparison tests. I also test drove all SUVs first too. My conclusion about the "Expert" reviews is they tend to promote those manufacturers that pay the most advertisement dollars. All cars have good and bad things, it is up to the buyer to decide what they will tolerate in the bad. These forums are a great place to discover the bad qualities of the cars since much of all different auto forums content is about the annoyances.

I had my car, since my daughter was 5, so I don't have experience with a baby car seat.
With the regular car seat and booster seat, it's excellent(on side seats, but not good at the center-seat is not stable, same in my wife's 09' CRV). No complaint there at all.

I've driven a Forester a few times as rentals. Don't recall the mpg numbers being anywhere near that good with mostly highway driving.

The only Foresters my friends have are the 2.0 turbo's that just came out. They get great mileage. As in, 26mpg or so doing 80-100, lol.

A number of professionals from Car and Driver mag rated it number one.
A random group of people with a drivers license rated it dead last,

I am OK with that.

Knocking a car down in the ratings because of your understanding of how to install a child safety seat reminds me of the consumer reports tests of imports in the 60s. If the turn signal or head light switch was in the "Wrong" place the car was disqualified as dangerous.
Exactly. How does it do FOR YOU? Does a magazine review change that? If it does, it was just a placebo effect before, apparently, lol

I wonder why the Escape was not included. Seems to me it should be in the same category as all these other listed vehicles. I have driven an Escape many times as a rental and I thought it was a pretty nice vehicle. I've actually driven most of the vehicle's on the list as rentals except for the CR-V and the Escape would probably be #2 on my list behind the CX-5.

I wonder why the Escape was not included. Seems to me it should be in the same category as all these other listed vehicles. I have driven an Escape many times as a rental and I thought it was a pretty nice vehicle. I've actually driven most of the vehicle's on the list as rentals except for the CR-V and the Escape would probably be #2 on my list behind the CX-5.

Quote from the cars.com article:
"All the automakers except Ford were able to find SUVs for us to test. Ford said it was unable to find one in its press fleets that met our requirements."

I wonder if they didn't want to be constrained by the $28,000 limit that was imposed.

We tested 7 cars during our buying process. We did not test the Rav4. Obviously, the CX-5 won since I am here posting on the CX-5 forum. It just had a great "feeling" and driveability. I am honestly surprised at their comments regarding the driveability. The CR-V was our second choice, but the vibration issue scared us off. Looks like Honda still does not have a fix for it...

Quote from the cars.com article:
"All the automakers except Ford were able to find SUVs for us to test. Ford said it was unable to find one in its press fleets that met our requirements."

I wonder if they didn't want to be constrained by the $28,000 limit that was imposed.

They can ask (and reimburse) dealers for things like this. I've photographed vehicles for manufacturers and editorial features that did just that in lieu of transporting a vehicle to a location. There's definitely a reason there...

Could it be advertising...

They rated the CRV as #1? The CRV was a top contender on my list before I finally decided to go with my 2016 CX-5.........that is until I found out about this -

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/2015-honda-cr-v-vibration-lawsuit.shtml

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/07/prweb12843817.htm

Geez, if I wanted some therapeutic vibration therapy, I'd get a vibrating reclining chair for the fraction of the cost of a CRV.......(notcool)

Honda advertises a bunch...Mazda, not so much! I wonder.

I hated the 15 CRV, not to mention how awful it looked! My neighbor has a 15 CRV and let me drive it to see about this vibration issue...YEP..NASTY!!
After a bit I drove the 15 CX-5 and, well, I really have enjoyed it!

I use a rear facing infant seat in mine constantly, both my wife and I think the car is great for baby seats. It has the steel anchor points, so we don't need to fuss with the seat belt, and theres a ton of room so the person in front of the seat doesn't feel cramped. The only reason i bought the cx-5 was to carry my daughter around, so its funny that it was rated poorly for that reason.

Paid Advertising...

Before I bought my SUV I read all the "Expert" reviews on the cars and the comparison tests. I also test drove all SUVs first too. All cars have good and bad things, it is up to the buyer to decide what they will tolerate in the bad. These forums are a great place to discover the bad qualities of the cars since much of all different auto forums content is about the annoyances.

"My conclusion about the "Expert" reviews is they tend to promote those manufacturers that pay the most advertisement dollars".

Exactly... (iagree)

CX5T Lover

Latest posts

Back