2013~2016 CX-5 Questions about routine service after 75,000 miles

You will have a hard time getting that car as quiet as you want without some serious work. I remember when the 2017 came out, they mentioned they added 40 lbs of sound deadening material to the CX-5. They also stated that for the CX-5, the total amount of sound deadening material was now 40 lbs.
So my 2016 has no sound deadening material whatsoever?? Wow. Thought they just skimped on it, not fully avoided it.

Any idea what would be the rough cost estimate to get this done?
Basic floor and doors, probably $100 and an afternoon of your time. If you really want to go all out and pull your headliner, rear seats, and rear side panels, which will truly make your car quiet, as much as $500 in materials. Figure on a good weekend to get it done.

You asked for quick and easy.. didn't say anything about cheap.
Good or Fast/Easy or Cheap pick any two
0*BXO-Krt9rSiopn6k.

So .. I'd say pull the interior out (all of the seats, carpet, and down to the door skin) and then apply sound deadening material of your choice.

of course the name brand that gets the most recognition (highly advertised) is: http://www.dynamat.com/
but there are PLENTY of choices out there such as:

or
https://smile. amazon.com/gp/product/B012B5EMGO/
I personally have used this in my CX-5 to help the subwoofer (before I upgraded the sound solution).
I have used this (usually a triangle of "pick 2") for years in my IT career to get points across. I like this venn diagram better. Nice post!

I have used this (usually a triangle of "pick 2") for years in my IT career to get points across. I like this venn diagram better. Nice post!

I'm in IT as well. Never ran into this specific diagram, but I have tried to explain this concept to many people using different methods (including pick any two of three fingers). This diagram gets the point across very nicely.

So my 2016 has no sound deadening material whatsoever?? Wow. Thought they just skimped on it, not fully avoided it.

Yeah, it had very, very little. The "2016.5" had something like a pound. My 2014 has next to nothing. A neat trick is to put some music on and sit inside the car. Now get out of the car and close to door. On my 2014 CX-5, there is only a slight drop in volume. Kinda comical. Do that on a 2017 or a CX-9 and the drop on sound is major.

There is a guy on these board, uno, who used to harp on the lack of sound deadening material in the CX5 - he was 100% right -but got little traction until Mazda came out with this current generation in 2017 and people noticed how crazy loud the prior generation was. Honestly, I think I still owe that guy an apology!

Are you referring to Unobtainium? I used to be active here around the time I bought the car (2015 thru 2017) and remember found some of his posts very helpful. It was about general stuff like paint, headrests, upkeep etc. Don't remember discussing sound deadening.

I have been going to Mazda stealership for oil changes for last 5 years, but notied today they are using Valvoline oil now, not Mazda Skyactiv oil. Went through all past invoices and noticed they started using 3rd party oil around 2 years back. Is this the norm at other dealerships? I was expecting the dealership to use genuine Mazda oil. Really pissed at them now. On top of the oil, they add engine oil conditioner and charge $15 extra for that. Removing that is not an option!

I called Mazda of North America to complain and they said it's the dealership's choice. They're fine as long as they use the correct weight of oil.

Is there really any difference between Skyactive oil and any other generic synthetic oil if the weight is the same?

I have been going to Mazda stealership for oil changes for last 5 years, but notied today they are using Valvoline oil now, not Mazda Skyactiv oil. Went through all past invoices and noticed they started using 3rd party oil around 2 years back. Is this the norm at other dealerships? I was expecting the dealership to use genuine Mazda oil. Really pissed at them now. On top of the oil, they add engine oil conditioner and charge $15 extra for that. Removing that is not an option!

I called Mazda of North America to complain and they said it's the dealership's choice. They're fine as long as they use the correct weight of oil.

Is there really any difference between Skyactive oil and any other generic synthetic oil if the weight is the same?
It’s normal that dealers use the cheapest bulk oil they can find. Switching to cheaper oil from Mazda moly oil shouldn’t be a surprise. As long as the oil is name brand 0W-20 full synthetic oil, it should be fine. My Mazda dealer can use Mazda moly instead of Castrol with $10 more. Yeah MNAO can do nothing about it.

Not sure about “engine oil conditioner” mandatory to oil change by your Mazds dealer. Definitely it’s some useless stuff only to make more profit. This’s something you can actually complain to MNAO as Mazda has never recommended using any oil additives.

Yeah no sound deadening really in my 2014 and minimal in the 2016.5. That said, come from driving soft top Jeeps and it really doesn't seem so bad to me. I guess it's all perspective.

As for the oil conditioner, that's a bunch of bull and I would not be taking my car there ever again for an oil change if they refused to not take it off/not do it. Completely unnecessary. At 75k you could switch to a high mileage oil if you wanted to, but as far as I can tell, that costs the same as regular oil at ol' Wally-World. So sounds like they just screwed you for $15 more profit for them.

Latest posts

Back