CX-5 Muffler delete

SmuurfNastee on insta told me he straight piped his cx5 from the (y pipe)cat back... Said it wasn't overly loud. I'm curious if anyone else has done it. Or has a sound clip of a drive by... He has one for a cold start & that's it...

Unfortunately his car was totaled a few weeks back..

Here's the cold start clip.

Upvote 0
Has anyone done a muffler delete??

@Benhui86 did a muffler delete on his 2016 CX-9, which also has a CorkSport intake installed. He replaced them with exhaust tips. I don't remember if you have the turbo or the NA, but if you have the turbo, it would probably sound very similar.

Thanks!

The piping is 2.5 and the tips outlet is 4. I think the stock outlet is about 3. I bought the y pipe and tips on amazon so it saved the guy a lot of work so he only charged me $160 which was the best quote I got out of about 5 different places.
75b75cc3447c7c5a1634e4293908ba0b.jpg

In-garage start up and revs:

In a parking garage:

Inside the car with the window down:

Upvote 0
Muffler delete= bad idea

Muffler delete on any car or truck sounds like crap.

If you need to be noisy, get a borla, racing beat or corksport and be done. Although, imo, after considering these options, only hopped up lifted trucks, V8 vettes and other power cars sound great with these enhanced exhausts.

Getting back to muffler delete:
Negatives:
1.Neighbors will dislike you.(especially if waking them in morning)
2.Coworkers will take notice(everytime you walk in late).
3. Bosses will especially take notice and think you are immature. No promotions.
4.Fellow motorists will think you are poor and can't afford a muffler.
5. Loss of some power
6. Safety concern if down incorrectly. Breathing potent fumes that enter cabin at idle , etc.

Only Positive:
In the driver's own mind they will think they are cool and that everyone else thinks they are cool.

Just don't do it... Get a corksport, borla or race beat exhaust system...at least it will be a louder classier sound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Smurf Nasty did it before blowing up his car and he seems super smart, so I say definitely cut your muffler off and put on a 5" chrome, or better yet titanium colored exhaust tip from eBay. I'm pretty sure back pressure has nothing to do with air fuel ratio on a turbocharged car anyway.

ricegoggles.gif

Don't feed the trolls. This guy can't be serious.

Upvote 0
Honestly I don't want to spend the $$ on a CS exhaust.. looking for a similar sounds on the cheap.

Cutting off the tips will not get you a similar sound as a CS exhaust. The CS exhaust replaces the existing mufflers and catalytic converters with their own, and changes the pipe diameter. I'm not sure about the CX-5 exhaust but sometimes they will ditch the OEM cat and replace it with a resonator, or add additional resonators to get the desired sound.

If you want something that sounds different, you might want to look into muffler replacements instead of a muffler delete. Otherwise, if you want a muffler delete, I posted a few links to YouTube videos that will give you a good idea of what to expect when you do a muffler delete on a Mazda 2.5T.

I don't agree with a lot of the chirping going on in this thread, but you should be aware of it. People don't say these things or form these opinions for no reason.

Upvote 0
Cutting off the tips will not get you a similar sound as a CS exhaust. The CS exhaust replaces the existing mufflers and catalytic converters with their own, and changes the pipe diameter. I'm not sure about the CX-5 exhaust but sometimes they will ditch the OEM cat and replace it with a resonator, or add additional resonators to get the desired sound.

If you want something that sounds different, you might want to look into muffler replacements instead of a muffler delete. Otherwise, if you want a muffler delete, I posted a few links to YouTube videos that will give you a good idea of what to expect when you do a muffler delete on a Mazda 2.5T.

I don't agree with a lot of the chirping going on in this thread, but you should be aware of it. People don't say these things or form these opinions for no reason.
Appreciate your feedback.
My 2014 2.5 is the na model... I was thinking of maybe just doing a small 1-to-2 muffler & throw some tips on it...

I just can't see spending $5-600 on a new set up, when Xmas is around the corner... I'd rather see a huge smile on my kids face, then dump money into my commuter car..

Looking for a sub $300 alternative.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Back