CX-5 Headlight Stalk Choices

My 23 CX-5 has four headlight choices. Two of them seem to do the same thing. One choice is AUTO, the other is the icon of two lights shining away from each other. Is it purely the illumination of the taillights, parking, license plate and side markers that is the dif? If you don't mind, which choice do you use and why? Thanks

Attachments

• Lighting Stalk Controls.jpg
    Lighting Stalk Controls.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 105
From my understanding:

Off=off
Auto=auto
2 lights pointing away = daytime running lights only
Light symbol = headlights on

I would either switch between off and on, or just leave on auto.

From my understanding:

Off=off
Auto=auto

D69E4CAF-3500-493B-AD2F-BE05423DFAE0.jpeg

This icon position on light stalk is for “Parking Lights” which has nothing to do with DRLs. In the old days you turn on the parking lights without headlights when you park the car in the dark for the short period of time fo save the battery. Many also turn the “parking lights” on while driving in the dusk or during the bad weather to save the headlights which is more expensive to replace. Since the DRLs coming out, some drivers use parking lights to replace (or in addition to) DRLs while driving as they believe this’s better and safer with tail lights on.

The functioning of DRLs is automatic, you can’t control it unless you go through the steps to disable it permanently.

Last edited:
From my understanding:

Off=off
Auto=auto

On my 23, when in two lights pointing away, the DRLs are on but as soon as you start rolling the low beams come on and stay on as long as you are driving. They automatically turn off once you kill the ignition and close the door and walk away.

I have the DRL relay pulled from the fusebox in the engine bay. That makes the stalk work "old school".

Off=Off
Auto=Auto (never use)
Pimp Lights (parking)
Headlights on.

On my 23, when in two lights pointing away, the DRLs are on but as soon as you start rolling the low beams come on and stay on as long as you are driving. They automatically turn off once you kill the ignition and close the door and walk away.
You mistakenly think the front amber parking lights as the DRLs. For gen-2 CX-5 the low beam headlights serve as regular headlights and DRLs (with a bit reduced power), that’s why many people got confused. As you described the low beams turing on when the car is rolling which serve as the DRL. The DRLs on early gen-2 CX-5 also use both amber parking lights (lower trims) or LED accent strips (used as parking lights on higher trims) in addition to low beams. DRLs should only be on when the car is moving forward. They’re off when the car is stopped or the gear is in reverse. That’s how you tell which front lights are used as DRLs.

The table posted by OP with the foot note also explains when the DRLs are functioning.

Just want to clarify, what Drewwitda22 did was he turned off the DRL function and turned on the parking lights all the time while driving. He gets front LED accent strips (halos) AND tail lights on all the time, and in theory, they’re not DRLs. And in certain states it’s illegal driving with parking lights on.

Gen-2 CX-5 in US and most other regions uses low-beam projectors AND LED accent strips (halos) for DRLs. Some versions of gen-2 CX-5 in other regions do use ONLY halos as DRLs like gen-1 2016 CX-5 with optional LED headlights. Unfortunately this’s something we can’t do on US version gen-2 CX-5 even though that’s the best DRL design on gen-2 CX-5 many have agreed upon.

2017 CX-5 drl question

2017 CX-5 drl question 2

2017 CX-5 drl question 3

View attachment 294865
View attachment 294866

Guide How To Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

Thanks to everyone for their input. May I 'assume' that the correct or recommended lighting control position is "AUTO" for everyday driving? Just set and forget. If so, when is the correct time or situation to use the double light position?

My 23 CX-5 has four headlight choices. Two of them seem to do the same thing. One choice is AUTO, the other is the icon of two lights shining away from each other. Is it purely the illumination of the taillights, parking, license plate and side markers that is the dif? If you don't mind, which choice do you use and why? Thanks
At night, especially on unlit back roads, I typically use AUTO with the automatic brights/dimming feature. If you are not already aware you have to flip the stalk to the brights position for the auto brights function to work. It works surprisingly well with few false negatives and positives. Dawn, dusk, rain--where brights are not necessary--I probably just rotate to the old standard last position.

Somebody else would need to address your post #5 since I pay no attention to when, if or how DRLs operate.

I have the DRL relay pulled from the fusebox in the engine bay. That makes the stalk work "old school".

Off=Off
Auto=Auto (never use)
Pimp Lights (parking)
Headlights on.
I keep my DRLs only because the 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 GT has the best arrangement for the DRLs and parking lights. The DRLs use only LED accent strips without headlights or amber parking lights which has the best looking IMO. By using LEDs for DRLs makes sense for longer service life (this theory failed on me though but luckily both LED headlights with DRLs failed early and got replaced under warranty). I also disabled the front amber parking lights (leave only the LED accent strips as the parking lights) so that the front turn signals can be more distinctive which means safer.

Simplest Mod for Your 2016 CX-5 Front Turn Signals with LED Lightings

Thanks to everyone for their input. May I 'assume' that the correct or recommended lighting control position is "AUTO" for everyday driving? Just set and forget. If so, when is the correct time or situation to use the double light position?
If you’re a driver not wanting to have full control of lightings, you can set the light stalk to “AUTO” position and forget about it. If your CX-5 has optional automatic high beam control (HBC), you can push the light stalk away from you at the high-beam position and let the HBC switching between low beam and high beam for you automatically.

The Parking Light position is rarely been used nowadays. I use it sometimes when parking in the dark; or while driving in the dusk or dawn, or during the bad weather.

Last edited:
If you’re a driver not wanting to have full control of lightings, you can set the light stalk to “AUTO” position and forget about it.
The only thing I would question about that approach is that AUTO purportedly turns the headlights off altogether if ambient light is sufficient. One would probably want to test that feature to see how well it works at dawn, dusk or in the rain.

I say "purportedly" because I have not tested it. It it happens to be as inconsistent as some features (rain sensing wipers and lane keeping) it might not do its on-off thing to one's satisfaction.

Of course you could just skip the overthinking and move the stalk to the bottom old standard "on" position in dim ambient light. My, oh, my, how did we ever live before automatic headlights. :rolleyes:

The parking lights are required in other part of the world. There are places in England for example where if you park your car on the side of the road you must leave your parking lights on or otherwise you will get a ticket.

In North-America roads are mostly well lit and there is rarely a need for parking lights. I have never used them outside of europe/england in 20 years of driving experience.

The only thing I would question about that approach is that AUTO purportedly turns the headlights off altogether if ambient light is sufficient. One would probably want to test that feature to see how well it works at dawn, dusk or in the rain.

I say "purportedly" because I have not tested it. It it happens to be as inconsistent as some features (rain sensing wipers and lane keeping) it might not do its on-off thing to one's satisfaction.

Of course you could just skip the overthinking and move the stalk to the bottom old standard "on" position in dim ambient light. My, oh, my, how did we ever live before automatic headlights. :rolleyes:

At dusk and dawn the headlight turn on and off at the same time as your dash brightness level and interior illumination. That is easy to see and confirm.

Most modern cars have the headlight turn on when the wipers are activated (for the rain scenario). If you look in your user manual that should be indicated. But yes when in doubt just switch them from Auto to On. But for 95% of the time Auto works fine.

In North-America roads are mostly well lit and there is rarely a need for parking lights.
I can assure you that in North American exurbs and in the countryside there are many roads that are unlit. Anyway, I'm not getting this thing about driving with parking lights on. Why not just turn on your damn headlights? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
At dusk and dawn the headlight turn on and off at the same time as your dash brightness level and interior illumination. That is easy to see and confirm.

Most modern cars have the headlight turn on when the wipers are activated (for the rain scenario). If you look in your user manual that should be indicated. But yes when in doubt just switch them from Auto to On. But for 95% of the time Auto works fine.
Like I said, you can test these things if you want. Or you can just move to the old standard "on" setting which works 100% of the time, conveniently enough. That requires the modest exercise of one's wrist.

The parking lights are required in other part of the world. There are places in England for example where if you park your car on the side of the road you must leave your parking lights on or otherwise you will get a ticket.
I believe the “parking lights” used for parking in Europe actually is different. You park on the left side of the road in UK, switch turn-signal to the right with light stalk in parking light position, then turn off the engine. Only the right side of “parking lights” is on. If you leave the turn signal to the left with engine off, only the left side of parking lights is on if you park the car on the right side of the road. The theory is all trying to save the electricity in addition to safety.

Anyway, I'm not getting this thing about driving with parking lights on. Why not just turn on your damn headlights? ;)
I believe it’s from old habit that in the old days you don’t want to turn on the headlights unless it’s really needed to prolong the service life of the “expensive” sealed-beam headlight which is usually short-lived. And it can save some electricity (gas) from battery too.

Not a law in my state as far as I know, but if my windshield wipers are on, so are my headlights.

So many drivers don't get this. There are other conditions as well, but I do not need Auto to tell me when to have them on.

Back