CX-5 head on pole crash

:
2013 CX-9 AWD, 2016.5 CX-5 AWD

CX-5.jpg

pole.jpg

... a Jersey motorist crashed head-on into a pole Thursday, and cops say the driver passed out behind the wheel while wearing an N95 mask after several hours on the road.

Police say the N95 mask could have caused the driver to experience "insufficient oxygen intake/excessive carbon dioxide intake," but they say they don't know the cause of the crash with 100% certainty.

While cops say Jersey residents should keep following Governor Phil Murphy's guidelines for covering faces in public, and they don't want to cause a panic or suggest the N95 mask is unsafe, police say wearing an N95 mask while driving solo is "unnecessary."

Lots of health care professionals have urged us all to reserve N95 masks for healthcare workers on the frontlines of the pandemic. There are other options for the rest of us.

The good news ... cops say the driver's injuries are non-life threatening.

Why would you be wearing a mask in your car? People are stupid.

believe it or not, in my country, we have to wear masks even in the car. otherwise you will be fined. I don't wear mask in the car, only if there are police standing on the roadside for inspection.

What country is that? But back to the car...wouldn't the auto stop have kicked in and stopped the car before hitting the pole?

I agree,people are stupid. I haven't noticed any drivers (yet) wearing masks but see plenty of people out talking walks, jogging, riding bikes and doing activities where there is no other person within hundreds of yards. I guess they think the virus is like pollen in the air and they need to be protected at all times. They must have missed the news that the purpose of masks for the general population is so if you cough or sneeze, you don't expel a vaporized cloud of germs on another person within a 10 foot radius.
I saw a guy in the grocery store wearing one of those dual canister respirators like you would wear in a paint booth.

The guy who hit the pole needs to be cited for reckless driving and damage to public property and have his insurance tripled.

What country is that? But back to the car...wouldn't the auto stop have kicked in and stopped the car before hitting the pole?
From my 2019 Owners Manual:

The Advanced SCBS system operates in response to a vehicle ahead or a pedestrian. The system does not operate in response to obstructions such as a wall, 2-wheeled vehicles, or animals.

I can see them disclaiming things like bikes and critters, but that wall reference surprised me.

The better question is, how does it know the difference between the back of a car and a wall? And why in the heck would the system not stop you from running into a wall? No logic....

I agree,people are stupid. I haven't noticed any drivers (yet) wearing masks but see plenty of people out talking walks, jogging, riding bikes and doing activities where there is no other person within hundreds of yards. I guess they think the virus is like pollen in the air and they need to be protected at all times. They must have missed the news that the purpose of masks for the general population is so if you cough or sneeze, you don't expel a vaporized cloud of germs on another person within a 10 foot radius.
I saw a guy in the grocery store wearing one of those dual canister respirators like you would wear in a paint booth.

The guy who hit the pole needs to be cited for reckless driving and damage to public property and have his insurance tripled.

The masks are for both you and the public. If someone who has CV is in a building and walking around without a mask, they could cough/sneeze and the air they were in is contaminated for quite a while (hours in fact). You come walking through the same area a minute later with a mask and you have lowered your chances of inhaling the virus (assuming you are using an N95 or better mask). The issue is you also have your eyes to worry about so you need goggles as well. The chances of us getting out of this situation without much more death and destruction is nill. Just wait and see the final numbers of deaths. I suspect much closer to 1 million lost just in the US. People here are not going to follow the guidelines for long. We just aren't built that way. A vaccine is the only solution and it is at least a year out.

I can sort of understand the radar or camera sensing "an object," such as a car. With a wall, there's nothing to differentiate...it's an unbroken mass.

It's interesting that it needs to "see" something in the first place in order to initiate the response sequence.

I would think the radar would see itself bouncing off the wall and know it needs to stop. How does it do this with a car if not a wall?

The masks are for both you and the public. If someone who has CV is in a building and walking around without a mask, they could cough/sneeze and the air they were in is contaminated for quite a while (hours in fact). You come walking through the same area a minute later with a mask and you have lowered your chances of inhaling the virus (assuming you are using an N95 or better mask). The issue is you also have your eyes to worry about so you need goggles as well. The chances of us getting out of this situation without much more death and destruction is nill. Just wait and see the final numbers of deaths. I suspect much closer to 1 million lost just in the US. People here are not going to follow the guidelines for long. We just aren't built that way. A vaccine is the only solution and it is at least a year out.
Don't hold your breath for a vaccine because there might not be one. No vaccine for HIV and it's been around for 30+ years.

I would think the radar would see itself bouncing off the wall and know it needs to stop. How does it do this with a car if not a wall?
Good question. I have no idea how that specific technology works or how it's implemented in the CX-5. Radar sees a plane because some waves bounce back from it and all the rest continue on by, so "an object" is interpreted. I don't know what such radar might interpret 100% bounce-back as, even on a mass that suddenly (or gradually) comes into view...however it adjusts for "suddenly" and "gradually."

I don't think that's how it works. The auto-emergency-braking system uses the camera and/or radar system to recognize vehicles and other obstructions. If a driver were so veer off the road and into a bunch of trees (or a wall of "trees") the camera/radar would not be able to detect an individual pole.

As I understand it, the camera/radar monitors what's in front of the car as it is travelling. From the perspective of the camera, other things will appear to be moving at a high rate of speed, like oncoming traffic, road signs, buildings, trees, etc. The system (at least, the one that doesn't have pedestrian detection) focuses primarily on establishing the presence of a vehicle in front. A wall or a tree is not the same profile as a vehicle, so the system would not recognize it as such. Also, Mazda's system uses SCBS at speeds of 30 km/h and below. SCBS uses a laser sensor mounted behind the windshield to detect vehicles. SBS is used at speeds of 15-145 km/h and uses radar coupled with the distance recognition support system and the forward obstruction warning system. In both cases, there is a disclaimer in the manual and on the website that states:

"SBS may not perform as expected due to factors such as the shape of the vehicle in front (some shapes do not reflect radar (or laser) well, etc.), bad weather (rain, snow, fog, etc.), and road conditions (multiple curves, undulations, etc.)."

Further to that, this is a driver's aid. It isn't meant to steer you back onto the road or stop the car for you if you were to suddenly pass out. And further still, the article doesn't state how fast the car was going, but based on the impact and the muddy earth, no amount of braking would have been enough to avoid a collision once the car left the road.

Forget the automatic braking... of course it won't help in this situation. But look at how well the structure protected the driver. Confidence inspiring.

Forget the automatic braking... of course it won't help in this situation. But look at how well the structure protected the driver. Confidence inspiring.
Yup.

There's a member here who posted pics of his mangled CX-5 wreckage he was able to walk away from, and he went right out and bought another.

WOW! That's one crazy wreck, kinda creepy that it looks just like mine minus the front end damage, the previous owners of my CX-5 were from Nutley, New Jersey.

Back