CX-5 Fuel economy

If I was you I would have the cars parameters checked, either you don't know how to drive economically, or the car has a fault.

In the UK the Audi Q5 in diesel form is no were near a CX-5 diesel.
The Q3 diesel is on a par, but its smaller and slower.

I looked at both cars with a view to buy, but found them both disappointing, considering the cost.

I found out the hard way that mileage is sales crap. This CX-5 sounds like a cross between a horde of locusts, a wind-up toy and tiny blown engine. My neighbour, who has an Audi Q5 get just about the same mileage as me. It's an insignificant difference. Maybe if we run both our cars on idle or drive like a old man on Sunday, I'll get more of a significant difference -- HOWEVER, if you just drive normal city kinda driving, you're better off with a real motor. This CX-5 thing is a joke. And now I'm in debt for 6 years. Live and learn I guess.

I have a 2014 CX-5 GT (which means 2.5L AWD) and I am getting about 10.5 L/100km (22.5 mpg) regularly after 5000km (~3000 miles).

Mind you, I drive 100km (~60 miles) each day in varying traffic from crawling speeds to 130km/h (~80mph).

At 30% over the speed limit I did not expect to be getting the posted efficiency. Anyone who does needs a lesson in physics.

If I was you I would have the cars parameters checked, either you don't know how to drive economically, or the car has a fault.

In the UK the Audi Q5 in diesel form is no were near a CX-5 diesel.
The Q3 diesel is on a par, but its smaller and slower.

I looked at both cars with a view to buy, but found them both disappointing, considering the cost.

Same here. the BMW x3 was the runner up to the cx-5 for me. the Bmw was about 9K more and the Audi about 12K for similar performance but not economy. No way were that worth that much extra they're also about 400Kg heavier too.

Sadly I have spent the majority of my driving so far on my commute to and from work stuck in traffic killing my fuel economy. Still much better than other CUVs so I am not going to complain.

Wow, your commute must be worse (as far as fuel economy goes) than mine and I have AWD compared to your FWD. Hopefully you get to do some enjoyable open road driving when you're not working.

True. Maybe I'm crying a bit early as well. The car gives me anxiety for some reason, and that may not be the car's problem, but my own chemical imbalance. Bad visibility and loud chirpy motor noise probably only need getting used to. As for the gas mileage, I've yet to hit 4000 miles, and apparently it's normal to get bad mileage at that stage. So I'll stop crying and try and embrace my new Mazda marriage. (Maybe I have commitment issues? lol)

You know how almost everybody thinks that they are a "good driver." Most people are honest with their fuel mileage. They don't get EPA but they admit up-front that they drive in traffic a lot, speed a lot, don't do any owner maintenance, etc. But there are some people who just can't handle the truth.

Even if an Audi Q5 gave you the same mileage (which it won't), it cost you $10k more and uses premium. On top of that, your maintenance costs will be double. If you're in debt for the CX-5, you're going to be in much more debt with the Audi.

Either way, if you're unhappy with your vehicle just sell it. Vehicles are liquid and easy to sell. Don't be in debt for 6 years with something you could easily get rid of. The used market for the CX-5 is small. I'm sure your local Mazda dealer wouldn't mind taking a CX-5 off your hands, they need the supply. :)

My wife used to get a solid 30 MPG with her CX-5 (2.5L, with 6000 miles). But lately she has been getting 27 MPG. Because she is driving much more aggressively and using the shift feature to hold lower gears longer. She no care. (drive2)

Last edited:
^CX-5 gas engine noise (somewhat loud when pressed, don't know about the locusts part) is typical for in-line 4 banger in a compact SUV, Honda's tend to sound slightly better at high revs but even they are not especially sweet above 5000 rpm. For those coming from premium cars, it's a noticeable and expected difference.

My preference is the better modern V6's, V8's, flat 6's and V12's for engine sound quality, smoothness/NVH.

2014 CX-5 gt

2041 miles 27 mpg (9 L/100 km), exactly the advertised mpg on the sticker, that's with AC on 100% of the time

I find it interesting that you make all these statements without actually offering any actual facts/numbers.

This CX-5 sounds like a cross between a horde of locusts, a wind-up toy and tiny blown engine.
I found out the hard way that mileage is sales crap.

Funny, mine doesn't.
It has a nice growl at full throttle, and gets great gas mileage in the city. I get 22 to 25 mpg, depending on how easy (or not) I'm taking it.
I also am sporting around in a 2014 Touring, with AWD, so your car, whatever it is, should get better gas mileage than mine does.
Exactly what is your mileage?

The other Saturday, I drove on I-70 with the cruise control locked on 76 mph, for 107.4 miles, and got exactly 30.03 mpg doing so.
Maybe you should go out there, lock your cruise control at 110 kph, and see how many liters you burn through on a steady highway run before you condemn the CX-5 to being nothing but hype?

My neighbour, who has an Audi Q5 get just about the same mileage as me. It's an insignificant difference.

Okay, what is your neighbor's gas mileage?

Maybe if we run both our cars on idle or drive like a old man on Sunday, I'll get more of a significant difference

Actually, the idle thing, you won't. It will be considerably worse. But, if you take off less aggressively from stops, you will get better mileage.

-- HOWEVER, if you just drive normal city kinda driving, you're better off with a real motor.

Just out of curiosity, what is your other, or what was your previous vehicle?

This CX-5 thing is a joke. And now I'm in debt for 6 years. Live and learn I guess.

That's no one's fault but your own to buy a car you couldn't really afford.
I still have to wonder what your other/previous car is/was, and what happened to it.

BC.

If Awolowa poorly plans his car purchases as much as he makes it seem he does... I can't imagine his other life decisions.

lol -- yea, life decisions not so good. I'm having second thoughts about parenting for gawd sakes. Never mind the car or a bad tattoo. lol.

But... full story is that this car is about 75% for my wife. So it's not for me. So I should apologize for crying out loud, shut-up and quit ruining it for others.

All my last cars were Hondas. The last one was a 1998 CR-V, which did around 10l/100km --my neighbours Audi Q5 claims the same...

...and so, the 2013 CX-5 GS/cp AWD get's 8.5l/100km, and we're still under 4000miles. Apparently that makes a difference. The future is supposed to be brighter?

Anyway, what made me panic is the engine noise. The "criket" or "locusts" is NOT the fuel injectors. It's got something to do with the accelerator. It's like a frequency and apparently it's normal. Most often when engine is cold. Again, maybe some post-traumatic disorder stuff on my part and not so much the part of CX-5, but that sound freaks me out.

Keep the radio on, I guess... and then I don't hear it. But like the mechanic told me, it's a "skyactive" -- it's part computer... it's efficient, but it's noisy.

Well, I'm driving a new car. Best be grateful. Sorry for crapping on the floor.

That's ok, no amount of crapping on the car by anyone else is going to make me less happy with my CX-5. I still smile when I look at it, I feel like a kid with his first sports car when I drive it, and I feel brilliant when I fill it up for $25 less than my previous Tacoma and yet go the same miles between fill ups. (strike)

It's not sales crap, and the facts back it up. Check of fuelly.com shows 2013 cx5 with 200+ cars and 1+million miles tracked = 28.2 average mpg. That's above the EPA estimate.

I get higher than advertised MPG, easily. Even driving it hard, I don't see how it could get less than epa ratings in "normal" driving situations. You DON"T have to "sunday drive" to get good mileage.

If you drive aggressively, especially in city traffic... your MPG is going to be bad no matter what vehicle you drive. In that case, don't even be looking at MPG. Just drive and fill it up. I'm guessing if you switched cars with your neighbor, the #'s would change in favor of the cx5. Sounds like the real issue is that the cx5 is under powered for the way you drive. Buy something with more torque and just accept whatever you get for MPG.

Edit: guess what fuelly.com reports for the Q5? 21.1 average mpg. I'll bet your MPG will be in the teens if you switch cars. Have fun with that. :)

Agreed 100%. My CX5 has done incredible fuel economy, especially after driving BMWs for the past few years and being used to their power.

Agreed, the CX-5 has incredible MPG for an AWD compact SUV, I'm averaging 26 mpg (calculated)/27.3 (display) over 17K miles in 80% city/urban/suburban driving.

In comparison my IS350 and C300 sport sedans average 21-22 on premium gas in similar conditions, although horsepower is considerably different at 306/228.

Previously owned SUV's used in very similar conditions averaged considerably less MPG (Explorer 4.6L V8 15, Jeep 3.7 V6 16, ML350 17, Highlander 3.0L V6 17, Rav 4 2.0L 21)

Back