CX-5 Fuel economy

It seems like the people with good mpg (upper 20s +) all have "long" commutes.

Yes EPA combined rating for a 2.0L AWD is 28mpg and for 2.5L AWD is 26mpg, that assumes 55% city/45% highway driving. So a mix that involves greater than 45% highway driving should improve on the combined EPA rating and get closer to highway rating.

I've been getting great mileage with my CX-5, especially since Spring has arrived and I'm not driving in freezing conditions any more. My last three tanks have all been above 33 mpg which is excellent considering it's a relatively roomy AWD running on regular gasoline.

But what I like best is the way it carves up the tight twisties with such grip and confidence. Driving it puts a smile on my face. When the road gets twisty I've noticed that any cars behind me tend to vanish from my rear view mirror.

My fuel economy is on the rise thanks to outside temperatures climbing and switching to a premium diesel (Shell V-Power Nitro+)

I'm averaging 27 MPG now. So incredibly happy. I can drive just as far as I did with my old Grand Cherokee, but not fill up as often and spend $20ish less filling up. Love my CX-5!

My lifetime average for my CX-5 is 37 mpg with 26,XXX miles on the clock.

That's really excellent.

I don't understand the people who are complaining about poor economy. Certainly driving style and conditions will affect individual results but I would think people would compare their CX-5 mpg to previous vehicles which, presumably, were driven in a similar manner and similar conditions.

Drove "normally" without hypermiling for about 1/2 of my tank and it reported "31.2" MPG still. Not bad.

That's really excellent.

I don't understand the people who are complaining about poor economy. Certainly driving style and conditions will affect individual results but I would think people would compare their CX-5 mpg to previous vehicles which, presumably, were driven in a similar manner and similar conditions.

Driving style makes a huge difference in mpg. The first 8 fill ups of mine were same driving style and commute, but with highway sections at 75 mph and I averaged 34.53. The second 8 were done at 70 mph and was 37.24 mpg. At 65 mph I averaged 39.01 mpg.

First all highway trip with 2014 AWD GT, no hood shake or mirror shake. Gas mieage driving speed limit for 240 miles was 31.3 mpg
nice. Didn't notice much noise from the sun roof either really loving this car.

1st tank on my new 2014 FWD touring. Break-in driving style. (no full throttle, but varying speeds/loads with an occasional brisk run up a long hill.) The computer showed 28 mpg, math at the pump showed 29.7 mpg. I filled it with ethanol free fuel, in the 1st 200 miles of the 2nd tank, the computer shows 31.6 with the same style of driving. The car seems to feel more refined on the E0 fuel. It could be that the extra energy density allows me to run with a little less throttle, or it may just be psychological :)

Chris W

2014 CX-5 FWD touring

Last edited:
Just to add a data point for the overall MPG of the CX5. My wife's 2014 CX5 touring is getting a consistent average of 25.5 mpg. Granted she gets a consistent slow or medium traffic speed every work day. Current mileage is about 3,400 miles. I was concern of why is not getting higher mpg. So about a month ago I decided to do a quick experiment. On a Saturday morning at 5:00 am (normally awake already) went to my local gas station; refueled the tank until the pump click out. noticed the milage. reset the av mpg and av mp ; and got into the highway. I drove 40 miles out then returned using most of the time the cruise control (total of 80 miles). I went back to the same gas station, same pump (I was surprised that no one else have used since I did) and refueled again. Once the pump click out I recorded the amount of fuel used. I got average of 31 mpg. The CX5 computer showed a close result as well. Don't remember is high or low side but I am sure that is within 1 mpg. So I am very happy with the result. Recently I noticed why the low mpg. My wife is not very smooth with the gas pedal. :)
Oh by the way I was driving around 70-75 mph

Last edited:
First all highway trip with 2014 AWD GT, no hood shake or mirror shake. Gas mieage driving speed limit for 240 miles was 31.3 mpg
nice. Didn't notice much noise from the sun roof either really loving this car.

I am assuming at 55mph is the limit in MA?

I got highway 29.1 for 90 mins yesterday, only 600 miles on the 14 GT AWD. On our trip we drove with a Tesla for a few exits, wonder what he got? That car is sick yo.

my first tank with the cx-5 showed 25.6 mpg mixed city/hwy, but dividing gas input by mileage said i got 28.3...i don't know how much they filled it at the dealership, but i don't imagine they filled past the cut-off

My last four fill-ups have all been over 43 mpg, the one I'm on now is set for the same.

That's awesome! Almost enough to make me wish I had chosen the FWD w/manual tranny. But I'm really pleased with the MPG I'm seeing from the 2013 AWD automatic - last three tanks averaged between 34.2 -37.5 mpg.

Makes me wonder why this thread has a "thumbs down" icon associated with it. I say (cabpatch)

That's awesome! Almost enough to make me wish I had chosen the FWD w/manual tranny. But I'm really pleased with the MPG I'm seeing from the 2013 AWD automatic - last three tanks averaged between 34.2 -37.5 mpg.

Makes me wonder why this thread has a "thumbs down" icon associated with it. I say (cabpatch)

It will be very attempting to trade in for a diesel once they get here. Though I've told myself that I need to hit at least 100,000 miles before I trade it in. Granted, if I still have the same job as I do now, that will only be two more years.

Less than 1000 miles on my GT awd, 225 mile highway trip, 34.9 mpgs. I hypermilled the first 80 miles, kept it under 60, averaged 37.2. TDi sportswagon my ass!

Back