CX-5 Driver Headlight - Condensation

Denied. MazdaUSA says that condensation in the driver headlight (nothing in the passenger headlight) for 9+ days is normal. They said it was based on the amount of moisture found in the pictures, yet no one has measured the amount of moisture in the headlight nor given me a min or max volume that determines if the TSB is the solution. They could not explain why the passenger headlight and both taillights are free of moisture. It's unfortunate that they have a TSB for this very problem but will not address it.

Last edited:
Sorry your great dealer has done nothing to resolve a minor issue.

Have they removed the unit and looked for the source of the leak?

Have they dried out the unit to prevent any water damage, I thought not, try another dealer.

I did just that this morning and discovered a small crack in the top of the headlight. I then drover over to my selling dealer service manager and showed him what was found at the other dealer. During my two previous visits to my dealer for this issue, no one opened the hood to inspect the light. The first dealer says that the second dealer may have left something under the hood during service. The leaking driver headlight did begin just recently.

It's now beyond a warranty issue, unless there is proof this is a manufacturing defect. It could have been done at the port or at the last oil change.

Sounds like a case of the lazy dealer.

Hope you find a good one to give your business to from here on out!

I did just that this morning and discovered a small crack in the top of the headlight. I then drover over to my selling dealer service manager and showed him what was found at the other dealer. During my two previous visits to my dealer for this issue, no one opened the hood to inspect the light. The first dealer says that the second dealer may have left something under the hood during service. The leaking driver headlight did begin just recently.

It's now beyond a warranty issue, unless there is proof this is a manufacturing defect. It could have been done at the port or at the last oil change.
Good it always helps if you can show them the fault.

NEW / UPDATED TSB FOR CONDENSATION 2013-2015 CX-5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dated 1-24-2014

I've attached a couple pages of the TSB in picture format (sorry, that's all I have access to) and it's 8 pages long.
FYI, it says to NOT FIX/REPLACE the lights. They give picture examples of what is normal and what's not and which type of condensation gets a replacement.

ImageFetcher.jpg
ImageFetcher3.jpg
ImageFetcher2.jpg

Last edited:
Final Update: I just got my car back from my selling dealer. A few weeks back, the DSM reviewed the pictures of the cracked lens and gave my dealer authorization to replace the light. It took a few weeks to come in due to the winter storms in the NE, but I just completed the service today.

In researching the issue, almost (if not all) the car makers follow the same reasoning/investigation as posted in nXt's documents. Unless the headlight is completely saturated in water, no replacement. The core issue with my headlight was a small crack from either a defect or an accident at the dealership during service. I am very glad the dealership stepped up and fixed this issue, but what a mess to get it resolved.

Thanks for the update, at least you got there in the end.

Back