CX-5 Driver Headlight - Condensation

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT
Is anyone else running into this problem? I did a search and found a thread on the CX-7, but not the CX-5.

After a good rain, my driver side headlight has condensation but the passenger side is clear.

20140114_163026.jpg

20140114_163020.jpg

Attachments

• 20140114_163020.jpg
    20140114_163020.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 858
  • 20140114_163026.jpg
    20140114_163026.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 790
Last edited:
Washed my car the other night (it was fairly cold out) and by the time I got home I noticed the same. Did not check the passenger side though.

There is now a TSB for the front headlight housings concerning condensation. Bring it to your dealer and mention it. They will either change associated gaskets or give you complete new housings.

There is now a TSB for the front headlight housings concerning condensation. Bring it to your dealer and mention it. They will either change associated gaskets or give you complete new housings.

I have an appointment for tomorrow morning. I'm hoping the condensation is still there in the morning.

Do you have a link or number for the TSB?

Last edited:
TSB Number: SB-09-003-13
NHTSA Number: 10052160

"Mazda: on various model years and model vehicles, the headlamp assembly would have excessive condensation or water within and should be checked and replaced, if necessary for correct installation."

TSB Number: SB-09-003-13
NHTSA Number: 10052160

"Mazda: on various model years and model vehicles, the headlamp assembly would have excessive condensation or water within and should be checked and replaced, if necessary for correct installation."

Thanks! I took the car by this morning. The tech informed me that Mazda's process was for them to take a picture and send it into corporate for a decision. Apparently, a mist along the inside bottom edge may be considered normal, however if there are larger droplets then it is probably an issue. Mine had large droplets in the angular/pointed edge of the light and the tech thought that to be a problem.

I would think any condensation inside a sealed lens is an issue, but that is the process for this TSB.

The headlight (and taillight) housings are not completely sealed. There are even breather ports on the back casing. A slight fogging in moist situations is normal (hence the ports), but when large droplets form, it's a problem. Chances are, its a faulty bulb gasket or the sealant around the lens.

The headlight (and taillight) housings are not completely sealed. There are even breather ports on the back casing. A slight fogging in moist situations is normal (hence the ports), but when large droplets form, it's a problem. Chances are, its a faulty bulb gasket or the sealant around the lens.

Yes, I have seen these tubes (generally J shaped rubber tubes) to allow moisture to escape on my vehicles over the years. Condensation on the inside of the lens should never happen though, that reduces the lights ability to shine ahead. Moist air needs to escape, yes, but fogging/condensing on the lens, no.

I just got a call from the dealer. The area rep who reviewed both my pictures (above) and pictures taken by the tech claim that this is normal. The lens is still fogged 3 days later but that is normal. No way. The only recourse was to wait and see if it gets more water in it. Unbelievable!

I'm calling MazdaUSA Corporate today.

This is how it looked today.

20140117_154312.jpg
20140117_154317.jpg
20140117_194643.jpg

Last edited:
The headlights are still showing condensation on 01/19 (this originally happened in the afternoon on 01/13). We have not had any rain since then.

20140119_DSC01326.JPG

20140119_DSC01325.JPG

20140119_DSC01324.JPG

I went back to the dealership today (8 days after initial issue) to document that there was still condensation in the lights. They noted that it "looked better" than before and would contact the district rep again. IMHO, it does not look better. The water usually condenses on the lens but when it gets cold, like the last few days, it seems to go to the bottom of the light and then rises up once it gets warm again.

Should a headlight with condensation after 8 days be considered a non-issue?

Last edited:
Try a different dealer, or dry the unit out just once using a hair dryer, I'm assuming you can remove the lamp housing to do this, once dry it shouldn't leak again, if it does it wants changing.

I had this once on a Vauxhall 20 years ago, but not since, dealer replaced unit.
Don't mess around or the contacts could start corroding.

Last edited:
Try a different dealer, or dry the unit out just once using a hair dryer, I'm assuming you can remove the lamp housing to do this, once dry it shouldn't leak again, if it does it wants changing.

Yes, but if Mazda needed that kind of maintenance, A) I would never have bought the car and B) they would have sold it with tiny hair dryers in the housing. :)
I had this once on a Vauxhall 20 years ago, but not since, dealer replaced unit.
Don't mess around or the contacts could start corroding.

The dealership says the contacts/bulbs are all insulated from the housing where the water is located. If they are separated by the same type of gaskets that were designed to keep water out of the light, I am sure I'll be fine. Right! ;)

Here is how it looks on day 9. No rain since day 1 and I park in a garage at night.

20140122_080515.jpg

20140122_080520.jpg

20140122_080532.jpg

Remember, the advice was "just turn on the headlights" and it will dry out. Yes, but for how long?

Whats the point of posting pictures every day?

Your problem is only minor, yet have you dried it out once?
Guess not.

Yes, but if Mazda needed that kind of maintenance, A) I would never have bought the car and B) they would have sold it with tiny hair dryers in the housing. :)

The dealership says the contacts/bulbs are all insulated from the housing where the water is located. If they are separated by the same type of gaskets that were designed to keep water out of the light, I am sure I'll be fine. Right! ;)

I washed my car a few days ago. Kept the car in a warm (and thus humid) garage for the night. Since then, the car has been standing outside in the -25C temerature we have been having. Frost has formed on the inside of the housing and has not gone away since.

I am not worried for now. Like SayNoToPistons said, the housings are not sealed. If moist air got into the housing during the night, this is normal. Cold air can hold far less moisture than warm air, so when the air cools, moisture needs to go somewhere. I'll wait for temperatures to warm up again and see what happens...

Whats the point of posting pictures every day?

Your problem is only minor, yet have you dried it out once?
Guess not.

Could you point me to the page in the owner's manual that states the procedure for drying the headlight? No, I thought not. There is no procedure. I followed the advice by the dealership, turn on the headlights. That did not fix the problem.

If your car arrived with a tire that had a slow leak, would you inflate it daily as part of maintenance? No, you would not. The car has 10k miles and a 3/36 warranty that is not being applied to this problem. This is not a minor issue. The headlight should not store water for 9+ days.

Well it's obvious that your headlight housings have a leak in a gasket and it is no a minor issue. Though what I said before about "SLIGHT FOGGING" is normal in any light housing given conditions ideal for moist air and condensation. Yours obviously having more than just that... The chrome plating in the headlight is very sensitive to moisture and when left long enough in moisture, it WILL being to peal.

Either go to another dealer with the TSB I listed before, or complain to your current service manager and threaten to take it up to corporate MNAO.

It shouldn't be much of an expense hassle for them to replace the entire headlight housing because I can tell that you do not have the tech-pack bi-xenon headlights. I know either way I would push for a new housing.

Last edited:
Well it's obvious that your headlight housings have a leak in a gasket and it is no a minor issue. Though what I said before about "SLIGHT FOGGING" is normal in any light housing given conditions ideal for moist air and condensation. Yours obviously having more than just that... The chrome plating in the headlight is very sensitive to moisture and when left long enough in moisture, it WILL being to peal.

Yes. My previous car was a 2002 Nissan Maxima. At 11 years of age, the headlight began to leak and a single drop hit the chrome plating heated by HID headlights...it literally melted/disintegrated the chrome. The longer Mazda waits, the worse damage could occur.

Either go to another dealer with the TSB I listed before, or complain to your current service manager and threaten to take it up to corporate MNAO.

It shouldn't be much of an expense hassle for them to replace the entire headlight housing because I can tell that you do not have the tech-pack bi-xenon headlights. I know either way I would push for a new housing.

I have a great dealer. They have been exceptional to deal with, however on this issue their hands are tied. I don't see another dealer being as helpful as my selling dealer. The TSB must be approved by the area Mazda representative (who would represent all the dealers in my area). I have already opened a case with MNAO and have been in contact with them today. I am awaiting their input.

Sorry your great dealer has done nothing to resolve a minor issue.

Have they removed the unit and looked for the source of the leak?

Have they dried out the unit to prevent any water damage, I thought not, try another dealer.

Back