Door trim cleaning? 2017 CX-5

Good evening, I’ve just bought a 2017 se-l nav cx5. The door trim looks like leather (although I suspect it isn’t). The car is immaculate except for a black shiny patch on the door trim - which the OH helpfully pointed out and now of course that’s all I can see! I’m not sure if it’s dirty/greasy or if perhaps it’s just been rubbed shiny. I’ve tried cleaning with a diluted soapy solution to no avail. Does anyone have any tips please for restoring to its former glory?

Thanks in advance!

I've noticed it on my 2020 at times. I've concluded it's just a matter of how the light hits it. Be sure that's not the case before "rectifying" the matter into a problem.

Upvote 0
Are you saying there’s a black patch on either the “leather” armrest on the door or the material covering the door above the handle?

Upvote 0
37D7E04E-3917-4C34-8369-520136726854.jpeg

Upvote 0
May of been where the previous driver rested his elbow. Skin oils may of reacted with the material.
You may want to consult a detailing shop.
That's exactly where I rest my elbow and exactly the results of it. Same appearance.

Upvote 0
I clean it using a mild leather cleaner which is also suitable for synthetic leather. I also use a protectant (leather coat, again suitable for synthetic leather) for all these parts.

Upvote 0
I take it you haven’t managed to get the mark out?
Nah, it doesn't bother me. I haven't tried to do anything with it.

It may be that is the "clean" or polished spot (where my elbow rests) and the rest of the door is dirty / unpolished ?

Upvote 0
Thanks. The pictures really help figuring out what the issue is. In my unprofessional opinion, there could be two possibilities:

One is that this is just body oil from the previous owner staining the material. In that case, I suggest using a mild cleaner with a soft bristle brush to agitate the area to see if the oil and dirt can be dislodged. I wouldn’t use an interior detailing product that cleans and protects because you want the product to just clean the area and not leave some sort of protectant behind. This might act to just seal in the stain. In the past I’ve used a solution of Woolite and water maybe 50:50 for general cleaning of non-fabric areas. Once the area is cleaned you can use protectant.

The other possibility is that the actual material has worn down smooth from the other owner’s elbow rubbing up against it ver the years. The “grain” of the material has texture to it and it might have worn down to the point where it’s smoother and therefore shinier than the other areas. This is similar to a leather or vinyl wrapped steering wheel that becomes shiny in the spots where you mostly rest your hands. Or the keys on a computer keyboard that get the most use. Unfortunately, I don’t know of any way to restore the texture to eliminate the shininess.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Which brands?
Gyeon leather cleaner mild and Gyeon leather coat. Keeps the satin/matte finish. 303 protectant can be fine as well.

If the material is worn down, both won‘t help unfortunately. I would test this using some dishwashing soap first.
If the spot disappears if you wipe it with a wet cloth, leather coat or 303 can camouflage it to some degree.

Upvote 0
Back