CX-5 AWD Defeated

Yes i believe it is just a relabelled button between 2020 and 2021.

You can check the video below at about the 9 minute mark to see how the brake grab feature on traction control off was introduced to the CX-9 at about the 2018 model year. The Mazda engineer says the CX-9 was one of the last model to have that function implemented. At some point during the video he admits they are looking to change the name of the function in future model year.

The 2021 manual reads the same as 2020. It shows the TCS OFF function with the switch illustrated. It then goes on to describe ORTA separately with that different switch illustrated, noting that ORTA is in "some models". Again, this would indicate they are two different things..

You could be right and the manual is wrong. It would not be first time. I'm recalling now a long thread discussing the purported Theft Deterrent System described in the 2020 manual (page 3-49) also designated as "some models". Nobody who tested for it had it and that included upper trim owners.

If owners of a 2021 Sport AWD and a 2021 Sig AWD can both confirm that the TCS OFF switch has been replaced with the ORTA switch (printed with the image of a vehicle going uphill on a rutted road) I would agree with you that they are one and same. Then it would be kinda funny it took 3 years to get around to reprinting a switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stuck my left front wheel in the same depresion today to check out the suggestions. I had turned the TCS off and had the windshield wipers on high setting. No difference what so ever from the other day, tires spun and no forward progress. I suppose turning the TCS off may help in certain circumstances as reported in many Youtube videos but it certainly is no "locker" and wheels are free to spin away with no drive going to the stuck one.

Back