CX-5 Aftermarket headlight assembly

Hi there,

I own a 2015 MAZDA CX-5 SPORT NAV D 4X4, right hand drive (UK), and wondering if any of you swapped the OEM headlights with aftermarket units. My issue is that the left headlight DRL has failed, a common issue for this car model, and the OEM headlights are insanely expensive, the whole assembly on this side needs changing.

Obviously the Chinese people say that the headlights are plug and play, but if any of you here is familiar with my trim I was hoping I can be advised whether or not the aftermarket units will fit. Ideally I should check the plug, but before removing the front bumber I thought I should ask here.

I have attached some photos hoping it would make it easier for anyone able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20211107_114053.jpg
    20211107_114053.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 20211105_073021.jpg
    20211105_073021.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 214
  • Screenshot_20211112-075041_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20211112-075041_AliExpress.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 207
Isn't this a matter of just replacing a halogen bulb and not the whole assembly. The non-LED DRL's are just the high beam bulb illuminated at a lower voltage.

Well, this isn't the case for this model, those nice curved eyebrows on the
Isn't this a matter of just replacing a halogen bulb and not the whole assembly. The non-LED DRL's are just the high beam bulb illuminated at a lower voltage.
Well, this isn't the case for this model, those nice curved eyebrows on the headlight are the drl. If these fail no chance to change them unless you change the headlight...

Sorry, didn't notice. Guess I should have enlarged the first picture. When I saw 2015 and SPORT model I assumed it was too early for both that year and model to have LED DRL's. I though Mazda introduced LED anything after 2015 and then only on the 2 upper models at first.

Last edited:
without the vin its a bit tough
but try in google part no. -> B1Y4-67-SH3
with and without the dash. That should be type of the plug of the lamp harness. There are pictures in google, also on ebay.
From what I see there are 2 plug types - one is the halogen w/o leveling and the other plug (bigger rectangle) is for the xenon, led or halogen types w/ auto leveling.
The EU plug should be 14 pin.

Whether the chinese lamps would work fine I dont know but I have had chinese headlamps before on other cars and they are usually ok-ish. Not as solid as the oem but for their price its ok at least to have something to pit light on the road.

Have you checked ebay and the scrap yards for 2nd hand oem? if the price is decent. Obviously its unknown how long they may last too.

Good luck.

See if that helps you.
B49F2F2F-1FE0-493F-BE4B-482B74D0C768.jpeg

p.s I think the headlight could be disassembled but its a PITA with lots of home work :)

Last edited:
without the vin its a bit tough
but try in google part no. -> B1Y4-67-SH3
with and without the dash. That should be type of the plug of the lamp harness. There are pictures in google, also on ebay.
From what I see there are 2 plug types - one is the halogen w/o leveling and the other plug (bigger rectangle) is for the xenon, led or halogen types w/ auto leveling.
The EU plug should be 14 pin.

Whether the chinese lamps would work fine I dont know but I have had chinese headlamps before on other cars and they are usually ok-ish. Not as solid as the oem but for their price its ok at least to have something to pit light on the road.

Have you checked ebay and the scrap yards for 2nd hand oem? if the price is decent. Obviously its unknown how long they may last too.

Good luck.

See if that helps you.
View attachment 304687

p.s I think the headlight could be disassembled but its a PITA with lots of home work :)
Thank yor the useful information. I'll search the part number you provided. If it's of any help the VIN number is JMZKEN92600439618.

Gents, thanks to cz5gt I did a research for the plug over the Internet. Still not 100% sure if this is my plug or not, but the seller confirmed compatibility after sending the headlight part number. The photo with the plug sent by cz5gt matches the one shown on the seller's photos as well so I thought I should give it a try. It remains to be seen once I get the headlights.

The reason I'm not keen to buy from scrap yard is because there is a massive design issue with these headlights for KE models, you never know how long are they going to last and the price is >£300 for one headlight.

Just in case anyone can check and confirm the plug type based on vin number (JMZKEN92600439618), I still have time to cancel the order in the worst case scenario 😁 Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211113-080359_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20211113-080359_AliExpress.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 178
Gents, thanks to cz5gt I did a research for the plug over the Internet. Still not 100% sure if this is my plug or not, but the seller confirmed compatibility after sending the headlight part number. The photo with the plug sent by cz5gt matches the one shown on the seller's photos as well so I thought I should give it a try. It remains to be seen once I get the headlights.

The reason I'm not keen to buy from scrap yard is because there is a massive design issue with these headlights for KE models, you never know how long are they going to last and the price is >£300 for one headlight.

Just in case anyone can check and confirm the plug type based on vin number (JMZKEN92600439618), I still have time to cancel the order in the worst case scenario 😁 Thanks.
Just checking how this ended? @Val1234 did you get the headlights? Did they work ok with the AFS etc?

I’ve got the same problems!

Just checking how this ended? @Val1234 did you get the headlights? Did they work ok with the AFS etc?

I’ve got the same problems!
No success with Chinese headlights, after making the payment they confirmed not suitable for RHD so I've got a refund.

Managed to get it sorted with an UK supplier, bought the headlights from them and installed myself. Can't advise about the afs, never had this option but I do have the motors on original headlamps. I've noticed in the instructions though that you have the option to use motors from original headlights so I used mine on the newly purchased items.

All works great but as I never had afs activated on my car I don't know how it would work. However, considering that this function is all about your front camera and headlamp motors which you put in the aftermarket headlights, it should work without issues.

Link from the merchant here if it helps

No success with Chinese headlights, after making the payment they confirmed not suitable for RHD so I've got a refund.

Managed to get it sorted with an UK supplier, bought the headlights from them and installed myself. Can't advise about the afs, never had this option but I do have the motors on original headlamps. I've noticed in the instructions though that you have the option to use motors from original headlights so I used mine on the newly purchased items.

All works great but as I never had afs activated on my car I don't know how it would work. However, considering that this function is all about your front camera and headlamp motors which you put in the aftermarket headlights, it should work without issues.

Link from the merchant here if it helps

Thanks for that. They unfortunately don’t have anything to suit my car.

This AFS feature is proving to be a bit of a nightmare! Hopefully someone will come online soon and share an experience of how to delete it altogether, not something I want to worry about as the car gets older!

Your 2015 is like my 2016.5 (whatever that means). Are DRLs required in the UK? If that's all that's wrong, why not turn them off? There's a pat your head, rub your tummy procedure for it.

Your 2015 is like my 2016.5 (whatever that means). Are DRLs required in the UK? If that's all that's wrong, why not turn them off? There's a pat your head, rub your tummy procedure for it.
I've heard stories of mot failing for this reason. Apparently if the car has been designed with drl, drl need to work to comply with the legislation here.

Back