CX-5 Adaptive Headlights - Jumpy / Jittery

Second attempt was also a fail (the camera didnt pick up the detail in the light well enough).

The best I can describe it is if you are <10 feet from a wall, turning and moving, the light shows on the wall, you can see the bulb center / points and as you turn it seems to bounce a bit left and right. They arent wild swings, and if not reflected on the wall, it is unlikely that it would be noticed. The garage I park in is a bit funky and there are 3 points at which I have this approach (10 ft from a wall with a turn) so I am thinking I am noticing it more than anyone else would.

Next I am near a mazda dealer I will pop in and talk to a tech and update the thread.

S

Second attempt was also a fail (the camera didnt pick up the detail in the light well enough).

The best I can describe it is if you are <10 feet from a wall, turning and moving, the light shows on the wall, you can see the bulb center / points and as you turn it seems to bounce a bit left and right. They arent wild swings, and if not reflected on the wall, it is unlikely that it would be noticed. The garage I park in is a bit funky and there are 3 points at which I have this approach (10 ft from a wall with a turn) so I am thinking I am noticing it more than anyone else would.

Next I am near a mazda dealer I will pop in and talk to a tech and update the thread.

S

If the camera can't pick up the detail, I would call that "slight jitter" and consider it normal. Taking it to the dealer to inquire about a fix is a great idea, please let us know what comes of it.

I have noticed that the adaptive lights in our CX5 are not nearly as smooth as the other adaptive light equipped vehicles we own or have owned. The transition to the normal "straight ahead" headlight angle compared to the full adaptive headlight angle (something like 15 degrees) is far smoother in my daily driver. I noticed this lack of smoothness the first time we drove the CX5 at night. It is as if the motor used to turn the lamp mechanism has steps that are too large and the transition is noticeable in the light beam while turning.

Here’s what OP is probably seeing: Headlamp Twerk - CX9 Headlight Feature.

I’m experiencing the same. According to 3 Mazda service centers and Mazda Experience (I opened a case about it), this is “normal”.

Knowing the CX90 also has adaptive headlights makes considering it (or any Mazda I guess) as my next car, a non-starter.

My CX-9 has been doing that from the start. I'm sure there are some CX-9s out there that don't have this issue, but I certainly wouldn't trade the car in or write it off as a future purchase based on this alone. Speaking for myself only of course.

Back