CX-5 2019 GT Turbo oil filter model ?

Yes, this is out of hand, this thread, IMO. Way too much niggling over something that's likely just fine. These are vehicles meant to be owned by PEOPLE. People are stupid. Mazda would go out of business overnight if their fluid capacities on user-serviceable items would grenade vehicles if they were 0.25 quart off.

They do tell you to take the car to Mazda, or qualified mechanic if you must, for service :)

But agreed.

To clarify because Im about to order my filter... is the correct filter the 1WPE-14-302 or the PY8W-14-302. Honestly Im only asking because the 1WPE one is saying for non-turbo.

Are you positive they aren't topping off your oil after they use the 5 quart jug, Uno? While we could argue the merits and demerits of Yrwei's holy war on precision, it does strike me as odd that they would specify a higher volume, but it be actually smaller than the non-turbo. Why change the approximate figures from the non-turbo for the sake of the manual at all? Just seems odd.

As for the filter, OP, I believe it would be whatever model the CX-9 uses (I could be wrong). If nothing else, just go under it and take a look at what's there now. Model number pretty easy to read on these Mazda filters.

To clarify because I*m about to order my filter... is the correct filter the 1WPE-14-302 or the PY8W-14-302. Honestly I*m only asking because the 1WPE one is saying for non-turbo.

Are you positive they aren't topping off your oil after they use the 5 quart jug, Uno? While we could argue the merits and demerits of Yrwei's holy war on precision, it does strike me as odd that they would specify a higher volume, but it be actually smaller than the non-turbo. Why change the approximate figures from the non-turbo for the sake of the manual at all? Just seems odd.

As for the filter, OP, I believe it would be whatever model the CX-9 uses (I could be wrong). If nothing else, just go under it and take a look at what's there now. Model number pretty easy to read on these Mazda filters.

For reference, the Japan made filter for the CX-9 is the PY8W-14-302.

Just got back from the dealer and they provided me with the PY8W version. We shall see when I actually change the oil which filter will be under there.

Its official, for the 2019 CX5 Turbo in the GTR and Signature you will need oil filter PY8W-14-302. I completed the change this morning and that was the filter on there from the factory. The crush washer part number is 9956-41-400.

Last edited:
It*s official, for the 2019 CX5 Turbo in the GTR and Signature you will need oil filter PY8W-14-302. I completed the change this morning and that was the filter on there from the factory. The crush washer part number is 9956-41-302.
Thanks for confirmation. Can you confirm also has the drain plug changed to standard flange hex head bolt? If it has, what is the size? 15mm or 17mm?

Yeah the 2.5T uses PY8W-14-302 oil filter like CX-9's. But the part number of your aluminum drain plug washer is different than 2.5L which is very strange to me:

P/N for 2.5L engine oil or AT drain plug washer: 9956-41-400

It has changed to the standard flange hex head bolt 17mm. The crush washer part number is 9956-41-400. Ill correct the original post.

Last edited:
It has changed to the standard flange hex head bolt 17mm. The crush washer part number is 9956-41-400. Ill correct the original post.

Is the crush washer different than previous years for this updated drain plug?

I got a filter and crush washer from my local dealer and the crush washer looks the same as the ones they give me for my 2016.

Is the crush washer different than previous years for this updated drain plug?

I got a filter and crush washer from my local dealer and the crush washer looks the same as the ones they give me for my 2016.
jmm3807 has confirmed that the drain plug aluminum washer is the same between 2.5L and 2.5T with the same part number:

9956-41-400

Although Mazda apparently has changed engine oil drain plug to standard 17mm flange hex head bolt, but I personally don't mind to have previous version with 8mm Allen hex-keyed round head drain plug.

Thanks for confirmation. Can you confirm also has the drain plug changed to standard flange hex head bolt? If it has, what is the size? 15mm or 17mm?

Yeah the 2.5T uses PY8W-14-302 oil filter like CX-9's. But the part number of your aluminum drain plug washer is different than 2.5L which is very strange to me:

P/N for 2.5L engine oil or AT drain plug washer: 9956-41-400

jmm3807 has confirmed that the drain plug aluminum washer is the same between 2.5L and 2.5T with the same part number:

9956-41-400

Although Mazda apparently has changed engine oil drain plug to standard 17mm flange hex head bolt, but I personally don't mind to have previous version with 8mm Allen hex-keyed round head drain plug.

It's also the same bolt (17mm) that came with my new oil pan which got replaced a few months ago

Back