CX-5 2013 blower stopped working; relay question

redleader

:
CX-5 Sport 6MT
In my 2013 CX-5 (105k mostly problem-free miles) the interior fan just stopped working suddenly yesterday; the switch does nothing. I've read that the first thing to look at is the relay, but I notice in the relay diagram there are four fan fuses: FAN GE/ADD FAN GE and FAN DE/ADD FAN DE. Anyone know which is probably the right one?

I have the Sport edition (wanted a manual) so I'm assuming I don't have an ADDitional anything, but I may be reading that wrong.

Partly answered my own question simply by looking in the fuse box.. I don't have either of the FAN DE fuses :rolleyes: :)

Some people have had to replace the motor more than once. I don't know if they figured out the root cause.

My '17 CX-5 is at the dealer right now having the blower motor replaced. Apparently there was dealer bulletin issued just this last September. It's about time they recognized the issue. This is my 2nd Mazda vehicle to have blower motor issues (traded in the 1st one at 3 years, before it became debilitating). Mazda won't cover anything because they don't deem it a safety issue. Yeah right, in 2-degree weather not clearing your windshield IS a safety issue. Glad to get it done, we've put up with it for longer than we should have.

My '17 CX-5 is at the dealer right now having the blower motor replaced. Apparently there was dealer bulletin issued just this last September. It's about time they recognized the issue. This is my 2nd Mazda vehicle to have blower motor issues (traded in the 1st one at 3 years, before it became debilitating). Mazda won't cover anything because they don't deem it a safety issue. Yeah right, in 2-degree weather not clearing your windshield IS a safety issue. Glad to get it done, we've put up with it for longer than we should have.
Did the blower stop completely? Or making a noise?
I wonder about what exactly the dealer bulletin says.

Both. Issues started about 2 ½ years in - loud (not always) chuffing noise as if fan was binding in one spot, and it generally sounded under powered for the dial setting - but it has been more or less manageable. It just seemed that the blower motor wasn’t getting full power. The chuffing would slow down then the fan would stop completely, with the speed dial indicating full tilt! Sometimes it wouldn't be on at all when the car started, but I could usually depend on it popping on after a short time (and a good bump). Only recently has it gone out for extended periods of time. Yesterday afternoon it didn't come on at all when I started the car. I did a bit of running around and still nothing. So that was the last straw. (I lasted this long because I wasn't too keen on having the dash torn apart to get to the motor!) Wasn't looking forward to morning rush hour traffic without a defroster in 5 degree F weather. We even wore masks in an attempt to alleviate condensation inside the car. Luckily the fan popped on after 15 minutes and before I got on the highway. and the 20 minute drive to the dealership.

Don't know what the bulletin said, only saw it in passing, but it was mentioned when the service guy wrote up my ticket after diagnosis. Maybe I'll get a copy of it after the work is done. Surely there is an insider here on the forum somewhere who would be able to access it.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2017-2020 Mazda6 with VINS lower than JM!GL******521431 (produced before December 27, 2019)
2017 (US spec)/2018 (Mexico spec)-2020 CX-5 with VINS lower than JM3KE******776608 (produced before December 27, 2019)

Some vehicles may exhibit a squeaking noise from the blower motor while it is operating. This is caused by burrs that were not trimmed completely in the manufacturing process of the blower motor.
To eliminate this concern, the manufacturing process of the blower motor has been modified to efficiently trim burrs. Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired.
The change is new blower motor and no the dash is not torn apart :) its an easy 15 min change.

the one where everything is torn apart is the one for the AC evaporator temperature sensor malfunction. Hopefully we dont get to experience that one.

$558.69 out the door (they got me for the over priced cabin filter too). Before people start bragging about doing their own work on the cheap and how I'm paying a ridiculous price, I don't want to hear it. I'm fine paying people who know what they're doing and who take responsibility for working on my car, especially when I have neither the means nor inclination to do so myself. So don't waste you breath with such comments.

I have balked at the price and will discuss further when I pick the car up. It is absolutely absurd that this isn't considered a safety issue. That's why I brought it in in the first place. And to further emphasize the point, it's 20 degrees and been snowing at a rate of near 2 inches an hour since early this morning. Having the blower motor for the defroster cut out while driving ISN'T a safety issue?!! SERIOUSLY??!! We'll see.

Back