CX-5 2.5L Turbo vs. CX-5 2.5L NA

According to Wikipedia, the Gen 2 CX-5 is offered with two 2.5L engines:
- 2.5 L Skyactiv-G PY-VPS I4
- 2.5 L Skyactiv-G PY-VPS I4-T

Assuming this information is correct, are the 2.5L turbo and NA engines the exact same, the same engine with different internals, or a different engine altogether? Is PY-VPS the engine code? Any help would be appreciated.

PS I searched the forum and didn't find the above info so my apologies if its been asked before.

The main difference is that the non turbo has cylinder deactivation, and the turbo does not.

The two engines share many parts but are not identical. The exhaust systems are of course completely different. The turbo also differs in having, among other things:

- different pistons and compression ratio
- forged connecting rods
- EGR cooling system

No idea. You’d also need a new PCM, connecting rods, pistons, intercooler and piping, EGR system, etc. You can’t just bolt on external parts, the NA engine has far too high a compression ratio and you’d grenade the motor quickly. If you’re thinking about transforming your 2.5 NA to a turbo you’ll be far better off selling it and buying a turbo model. But if you’re serious about modding your own CX then be prepared for a lot of cost and headaches, with little to no helpful support from Mazda or anyone else.

Back