Curious if owners have this minor issue with their lights (Pics)...

Hank3

Asian Persuasion <><
Contributor
:
2010 Mazda5 GT
I started a thread in the electronics forum last month regarding my HIDs. Basically, I had my driver's side headlight replaced under warranty because the projector lense had smudge marks on it causing the light beam to have shadows/dark spots on the road. The new headlight I got has the same issue (smudge marks that are more pronounced). Also in both headlights I have found specs of dirt/crumbs in them. I'm just curious to see if other members have unclean headlight units. The dirt/crumbs can been seen pretty easily if you just look down where the black plastic part is in the headlight, and the smudge marks can only be seen if you turn on your lights (HIDs or halogens). Wondering if you guys could check your lights to see if you have this issue when it's convenient and report back. The headlight that didn't get replaced also has slight smudge marks on the projector lense and dirt in it. I know some members could care less probably as this isn't a huge deal (if the light works, great, who cares :) ), but I'm just curious if this a prevalent thing with these headlights. Poor quality control at the assembly plant? Some pictures are below of the headlight that was replaced (will try and take some of the new one tonight):

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

Driver's Side Light output (you can see the shadow/ghost spot on the ground towards the middle. The dark spots toward the bottom are normal I think):

IMG_0992.jpg

Passenger Side Light output (this projector lense has minimal smudge marks):

IMG_0993.jpg

Both beams together:

IMG_0982.jpg

That's not good... the lens aren't supposed to be touched with bare hands... something about the oil from our fingers boiling or something and causing the glass casing to shatter....at least for halogen bulbs..not sure for HID?

maybe you can take a soft cloth to it?

That's the thing, I don't know if I should keep going back to the dealer to ask them to replace a $880 part under warranty - especially since I had to make an appt. when the DM was in town so he could make the executive call. And he was quite hesitant to replace it in the first place. We had to look at two other vehicles on the lot with their lights on. One was another Speed3 that happened to be in for service and it had smudge marks on it. Another was a Speed3 Sport w/halogens and it had smudge marks, too. He then proceeded to tell me that that's how all the headlights come from the factory and the Speed3 lights have a narrow beam and are special. OK, totally irrelevant and lame excuse. As I said, this is only a minor issue, as my lights do what they're intended to do...which is light up the road (and quite well I may add). But I just can't convince myself to think that the lights are to come form the factory with smudge marks on the lens and dirt inside the headlight cluster when they're supposed to somewhat sealed. I don't know...maybe I'm naive to think that people who assemble the headlights are in a VERY clean and dust-free environment with gloves on?

I've been contemplating opening up the headlights to blow the dust and crumbs out and then wiping the projector lens clean, but that'll void the warranty and I'm just still a bit nervous about baking my headlights and going through that whole ordeal. I guess I just have to ultimately decide if it bothers me THAT much to do something about it again.

Last edited:
Ok, I checked, mine dont have smudges.

Ill throw my 2c in for what its worth. I dont think the smudges would make that big of a difference personally. However, the ring thats in the drivers side headlight doesnt come from the smudge in my opinion. Because of the way the ring has a bright edge, it almost looks like a defect on the projector bowl or something on the bulb possibly. But, the chances of that happening between two different sets of headlights is pretty slim, which puts us back at square one. The reflections you see on the ground close to the car are normal from the headlight housing.

If it were me, Id push the dealership to replace both, and let you inspect first.

Ok, I checked, mine dont have smudges.

Ill throw my 2c in for what its worth. I dont think the smudges would make that big of a difference personally. However, the ring thats in the drivers side headlight doesnt come from the smudge in my opinion. Because of the way the ring has a bright edge, it almost looks like a defect on the projector bowl or something on the bulb possibly. But, the chances of that happening between two different sets of headlights is pretty slim, which puts us back at square one. The reflections you see on the ground close to the car are normal from the headlight housing.

If it were me, Id push the dealership to replace both, and let you inspect first.

Thanks for checking. Well with the new headlight, the shadow is in a different place when the light is on. And the smudge marks are much more prevalent but in a place that I didn't think would affect the light dispersion. Maybe we can attribute it to the inconsistent projector bowls? I had assumed that the other reflections were normal since I had noticed that with my previous HID projector setup on my WRX. Maybe the next time you drive you can report back to see if you have any ghost spots in your light beam?

holy s*** i thought i was the only one with this issue!!

Do you have smudge marks on your prjector lense, too? Or some dirt/crumbs in your headlight cluster?

Hmmm...I wonder how isolated of an issue it is. I personally have seen the smudge marks on six headlight assemblies. But, it may or may not, be affecting the beam itself. I guess that's what I'm trying to pinpoint. And I'm curious as to what is causing the smudge marks from the factory.

Thanks for checking. Well with the new headlight, the shadow is in a different place when the light is on. And the smudge marks are much more prevalent but in a place that I didn't think would affect the light dispersion. Maybe we can attribute it to the inconsistent projector bowls? I had assumed that the other reflections were normal since I had noticed that with my previous HID projector setup on my WRX. Maybe the next time you drive you can report back to see if you have any ghost spots in your light beam?

Do you have smudge marks on your prjector lense, too? Or some dirt/crumbs in your headlight cluster?

I dont have any ghosting with my lights. I do think its due to the bowl because of the way its outlined. I dont think the lens plays quite that big of a role in light output to produce something like that.

I didn't get my normal parking spot today here at work, so I'll move it at lunch time and check and if possible I'll snap a few pics with my iPhone and post them here.

Thanks, blue-sun. When the lights are on, make sure you look at all the angles to see if you see the smudge marks. I had to crouch down to see mine.

I dont have any ghosting with my lights. I do think its due to the bowl because of the way its outlined. I dont think the lens plays quite that big of a role in light output to produce something like that.

Wouldn't surprise me if the projector bowls are of lesser quality than other projector units out there.

Well I feel more relieved that other members are chiming in with the same situation. Like I said, I don't think it's a big problem, but it sure has piqued my curiosity as to why they would leave the factory/assembly plant this way. maybe they leave without the marks on them and somehow develop on their own. I posted this on the HID forums and one member suggest that maybe condensation gets into the lenses and then when dries off it leaves the marks? Didn't knowhow true it was because the brand new one I got came from the Mazda in a box I'm assuming and was installed on my car. Didn't really have time to sit outside. And I knew it was a new headlight unit because the bulb was yellower due to it not being colorshifted yet.

I just went out and checked mine and aside from a very slight amount of dust on the bottom portion of the pass side lowbeam they looked fine. I turned on the lights and looked as best as I could at all angles and they looked good. Granted it's sunny outside and my car (and thus the headlights) is dirty. I'll check again at night after it's been washed (likey friday or saturday, gotta put a final winter coat of sealant on to protect the paint (though it's still beading like if I just applied the sealant instead of the week I got her back in May)

OK, thanks for reporting back. Will look forward to your report later on in the week :)

I have a friend who works at a head light and tail light production factory here in AL. He said they just got all kinds of new work from Nissan because of this issue. Other factories were screwing them up. Apparently we have one of the only/best factory's with a clean room. They have to go through wind baths and all kinda crap just to get in. Sounds like Mada should shift there production here too.

Back