CrossClimate2 10,000mi review

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
I just crossed 10K miles in my Rav4 Prime. I put 235/55/19 105H rated CC2's on it when new.

The tires have been exceptional in every way.

-Sound: They are quiet. On everything. No pavement types made this tire sound loud or annoying in any way. It is the most uniformly quiet tire I've driven on in an SUV/CUV.

-Vibration: This tire had none. Like glass. Either that, or the Toyota dealer and RAV4 Prime are just good like that.

-Impacts: This tire is somewhat firm and sporty. Impacts weren't bad, but it won't just absorb them like a soft touring type tire.

-Water: This tire dealt both with wet roads and standing water VERY well. I would say it's average for adhesion to wet pavement, among premium peers I've used (LX20, LX25, RT43), but nothing compares to how it cuts through standing water with poise and a very planted feel at all times. There are spots I drive through that on new LX25's would make my CX5 skitter a bit due to water running off over the road. In heavier rain at higher speeds, these CC2's on my Prime just cut it. I forget it's a "bad corner" with these. Peerless.

-Dry: These tires offer very good traction (I can floor my R4P from a stand-still on clean pavement and it dead hooks. This is an "issue" for this vehicle). Cornering stability is excellent. The tires have progressive break-away accompanied by audible feedback and a very progressive nature. Dare I say they are sporty.

-Steering feel: After the initial mould release wears off, steering feel on-center is excellent. The tire has no bad habits or "vagueness" even having no defined center rib.

-Snow and Ice: I have not tested these in deep snow or on glare ice. New vs New on plowed roads with snow compacted into "ice", they perform near identical to LX25's. I suspect that in deeper snow, they would excel, as the tread really picks up a lot of snow and doesn't allow the tire to just "spin in it" like longitudinal sipes/tread does.

-Tread life: This tire arrived with an initial depth of 10/32. At 5K miles, it was down to 8-9/32 depending on F/R. I had them rotated. At 10K miles, they are now at 8/32 all around. This compares equally with LX25's on my CX5 turbo, even though I bet my Rav4 Prime is harder on tires due to much more and instant torque.

-MPG: I have had these since new, but my battery range was showing the advertised 42mi total this summer. I would opine that these will not alter factory mpg by any noticeable amount in and of themselves, but you may find yourself pushing the vehicle more with a better tire.

When I buy my 2022 CX5 turbo/signature, these will go on it before it leaves the dealer.

Last edited:
Thanks for this in-depth review. Although the vibration problem on my brand new 2022 Turbo is largely gone after being rebalanced on the Hunter by the dealer, I expect it to return. Or maybe I’ll be one the of the lucky ones. At any rate, my brief driving impressions of the stock Toyo aren‘t great and I’m considering replacing them. Just based on reviews, it looks like the LX25 or the CC2 would be good choices.
Have you gotten your new CX-5 yet? If not, I’d be curious if you note any vibration when/if you test drive it with the stock tires, and if it improves with the Michelins. Thanks!

Thanks for this in-depth review. Although the vibration problem on my brand new 2022 Turbo is largely gone after being rebalanced on the Hunter by the dealer, I expect it to return. Or maybe I’ll be one the of the lucky ones. At any rate, my brief driving impressions of the stock Toyo aren‘t great and I’m considering replacing them. Just based on reviews, it looks like the LX25 or the CC2 would be good choices.
Have you gotten your new CX-5 yet? If not, I’d be curious if you note any vibration when/if you test drive it with the stock tires, and if it improves with the Michelins. Thanks!
Toyos suck, man. They really do. I recommend just getting CC2's if this doesn't keep them fixed.

I just crossed 10K miles in my Rav4 Prime. I put 235/55/19 105H rated CC2's on it when new.

The tires have been exceptional in every way.

-Sound: They are quiet. On everything. No pavement types made this tire sound loud or annoying in any way. It is the most uniformly quiet tire I've driven on in an SUV/CUV.

-Vibration: This tire had none. Like glass. Either that, or the Toyota dealer and RAV4 Prime are just good like that.

-Impacts: This tire is somewhat firm and sporty. Impacts weren't bad, but it won't just absorb them like a soft touring type tire.

-Water: This tire dealt both with wet roads and standing water VERY well. I would say it's average for adhesion to wet pavement, among premium peers I've used (LX20, LX25, RT43), but nothing compares to how it cuts through standing water with poise and a very planted feel at all times. There are spots I drive through that on new LX25's would make my CX5 skitter a bit due to water running off over the road. In heavier rain at higher speeds, these CC2's on my Prime just cut it. I forget it's a "bad corner" with these. Peerless.

-Dry: These tires offer very good traction (I can floor my R4P from a stand-still on clean pavement and it dead hooks. This is an "issue" for this vehicle). Cornering stability is excellent. The tires have progressive break-away accompanied by audible feedback and a very progressive nature. Dare I say they are sporty.

-Steering feel: After the initial mould release wears off, steering feel on-center is excellent. The tire has no bad habits or "vagueness" even having no defined center rib.

-Snow and Ice: I have not tested these in deep snow or on glare ice. New vs New on plowed roads with snow compacted into "ice", they perform near identical to LX25's. I suspect that in deeper snow, they would excel, as the tread really picks up a lot of snow and doesn't allow the tire to just "spin in it" like longitudinal sipes/tread does.

-Tread life: This tire arrived with an initial depth of 10/32. At 5K miles, it was down to 8-9/32 depending on F/R. I had them rotated. At 10K miles, they are now at 8/32 all around. This compares equally with LX25's on my CX5 turbo, even though I bet my Rav4 Prime is harder on tires due to much more and instant torque.

-MPG: I have had these since new, but my battery range was showing the advertised 42mi total this summer. I would opine that these will not alter factory mpg by any noticeable amount in and of themselves, but you may find yourself pushing the vehicle more with a better tire.

When I buy my 2022 CX5 turbo/signature, these will go on it before it leaves the dealer.
Did you consider waiting for the CX-50 and/or the bigger, more powerful RWD platform SUVs coming down the road?

Did you consider waiting for the CX-50 and/or the bigger, more powerful RWD platform SUVs coming down the road?
He's since bought a '22 RDX. I'll put odds on it not being around for more than a year. Once the newness, or the fuel economy gets the best of him, he'll be back on the market for something else.

He's since bought a '22 RDX. I'll put odds on it not being around for more than a year. Once the newness, or the fuel economy gets the best of him, he'll be back on the market for something else.
I can't tell if Acura is getting slightly less ugly, or if I'm just getting more used to the disjointed, incongruous, busy design of modern popular Japanese cars.

Maybe, but thus far I don't know what I'd get instead.

With the gas price keeps rising, I’d keep the RAV4 Prime for the time being if I were you.
Yeah, I find it odd that the reason he bought the Prime in the first place, was to stem his high fuel costs. Now, he bought something that gets 5mpg worse fuel economy than his CX-5.

Now, he just needs to replace the Goodyear's on his Acura with the CC2's. They are great tires. I'm very happy how they got us through the weather over the past 7 months.

Yeah, I find it odd that the reason he bought the Prime in the first place, was to stem his high fuel costs. Now, he bought something that gets 5mpg worse fuel economy than his CX-5.

Now, he just needs to replace the Goodyear's on his Acura with the CC2's. They are great tires. I'm very happy how they got us through the weather over the past 7 months.
I realigned my priorities, you're right.

I’ve got 1 year and 12,000 miles on my CC2 tires. They cut through standing water extremely well and they’re very quiet. I had them balanced today. One side required no tweaking, the other side required only minor adjustments. They’re wearing evenly and are all at 8/32nd tread depth. No regrets with this choice. I haven’t found a tire that resists hydroplaning as well as these yet.

I’ve got 1 year and 12,000 miles on my CC2 tires. They cut through standing water extremely well and they’re very quiet. I had them balanced today. One side required no tweaking, the other side required only minor adjustments. They’re wearing evenly and are all at 8/32nd tread depth. No regrets with this choice. I haven’t found a tire that resists hydroplaning as well as these yet.
I replaced the trash Eagle RS-A's on my RDX with them as well, and again, they perform the same as on the Prime, and as you state. Excellent tire! I have not found anything better, yet.

Back