Cracked Windshield + Smoke - Wiper Heater Element Cause?

Z31

2022 CX-9 GS-L
I was sitting in traffic and noticed a few wisps of smoke coming from the base of my windshield.. I thought it might have just been some steam, but then got a whiff and it was definitely burning something.

It looks like there is a crack starting, but no noticeable impact. The crack runs from the bottom of the windshield, above the heating element, and then takes a 90 deg turn towards the drivers side. There appears to be some type of thick goop oozing out of the crack.

Anyone here have this issue? Perhaps it's a known issue with the wiper heaters?

I found a reddit post of a 2020 CX-5 with the exact same issue, almost identical, but seems a bit further progressed than mine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda/comments/jz34t3/would_a_crack_caused_by_the_windshield_heater_be/

I'll attach a better photo when there’s a bit more light to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_8250.jpeg
    IMG_8250.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8249.jpeg
    IMG_8249.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 73
I had a friend of mine report a similar thing with his CX5 and he thought someone vandalized his rig.
Same spot. Same sort of damage.
This is uncanny and I think there's more to this issue.

If you haven't, I think this issue should be raised with Mazda and NHTSA.

I had a friend of mine report a similar thing with his CX5 and he thought someone vandalized his rig.
Same spot. Same sort of damage.
This is uncanny and I think there's more to this issue.

If you haven't, I think this issue should be raised with Mazda and NHTSA.

Any history there? Photos? The glass in new cars is extremely fragile. Every time I take a road trip it seems I have to have a chip repaired.

This one is very strange though. Last week, I could see the crack as it turned back towards drivers side, but this morning I couldn't see it at all (and didn't show up in pics). Makes me think it's cracking from the inside out.

Would be tempted to pull cowl to inspect edge of glass.. Looks like there was a TSB on the CX-3's where the glass would crack below the cowl.

https://www.tsbsearch.com/Mazda/09-014-21

I thought it might be the windshield heater that caused the crack, but maybe the crack starts below, and then once the crack hits the heating element, then the problem is accelerated.

Another example..

I had a pretty decent chat with another dealership today and they said they're all for trying to present to Mazda to pay, but they think it's an impact that was just made worse by the element, and not the the element that caused the crack.

I will report to Transport Safety Board, and go through insurance, but I'm not convinced that it's not an issue with the glass..

Latest posts

Back