Cracked stock 6S rims

Ligouri Rd.

:
'04 Mazda 6S 5 door
Ever see this sheet before?:

The first three are my passenger front rim, the remainder my passenger rear.

I noticed yesterday morning a bit more road noise than normal, but I was taking an alternate route to work and chalked it up to the Azenis making more noise as they aged. Pressure was fine all around and I did not see any blisters in the tyres.
Coming back from Dinner later that night, I cannot remember (my girlfriend cannot either) whether I ran slightly off the edge of the road into the gravel or if the car pulled off to the side as the rim failed. Either way a grinding noise ensued so I pulled over and stopped figuring that I blew out a tyre. I did not feel any sharp hit or anything she just went a little over the side of the road and then started grinding. I pulled the wheel off only to find the entire inside of the rim broken. I put the dough nut on and tried to drive away to find that the rear passenger wheel was also cracked. Luckily I have a complete other set of stock rims (the ones that came with the car) with freshly mounted snow tyres at home.

On my way to work this morning (in the other car) I tried to take a look near the occurance to see if I could see anything on the side of the road that I could have hit. The majority of the shoulder was gravel laid at the same level as the road. There were a few places where the gravel was about 2" below the road but it appeared that I left the road somewhere after that. I may have to take a closer look on my way home.

These are a set of OEM 17" wheels that I picked up off ebay and have been using with summer tyres for about two years. I am a little scarred to continue using the other two wheels if there is a chance that they will crack too. I am also worried about getting another set of oem rims, but we all know this car is not designed with friendly offsets. Whatchall think?

WOW I wounder what those rims look like from the other side.

Edit: Check your other wheels if you haven't already.

Last edited:
GOOD GAWD MAN!!! those wheels look like they were beat before you got them, which is probably why they were on ebay. try to get in touch with the seller (if he's still around) and let him know what happened. seriously, those wheels had to take quite a beating to fail like that.

consider yourself very lucky that these didnt fail doing 80+ on the highway like that ...

I dont think I've ever seen rims cracked like that, I'd be pretty pissed off. sorry you gotta deal with that now.

Back