Cracked Block (2018 CX-5)

From what I have read online it seems to affect mostly the turbo engines? At least that what I thought I saw on a TSB.
I have not kept track of turbo cracked head failure numbers across all of the models and years, so I can't comment on what you wrote above. I do know for certain that the cracked heads on the 2018 CX-5 has been (and continues to be) a systemic issue, and also has been very significant in MY 2019 NA as well. As I wrote previously, the cracked head numbers for 2020 CX-5 and later have so far been much lower than those prior two MY. And for whatever reason(s), there have been far fewer NA cracked head reports in non-CX-5 models (such as the 3), so it's certainly possible that the total number of turbo cracked heads exceeds the NA count. But regardless of how they compare to each other, neither one of those numbers is small :rolleyes:

From what I have read online it seems to affect mostly the turbo engines? At least that what I thought I saw on a TSB.
Your 2016 CX-5 Sport has original SkyActiv-G 2.5L (or 2.0L?) NA which has fairly reliable cylinder head. Mazda has modified the head to accommodate the components added for cylinder deactivation to the 2.5L NA since 2018, and IMO which has weakened certain areas on original cylinder head and hence the crack issue. Similarly Mazda modified the original cylinder head on the 2.5L NA for turbo and it has also weakened certain areas on original head and hence crack issue. To me, both issues are design issues, and the problem won’t go away unless Mazda redesign or modify the head to reinforce the crack areas. Yes, 2.5T seems to have more cracked head happening, and Mazda has actually modified the head, but it’d take several years to prove the modification is effective.

Your 2016 CX-5 Sport has original SkyActiv-G 2.5L (or 2.0L?) NA which has fairly reliable cylinder head. Mazda has modified the head to accommodate the components added for cylinder deactivation to the 2.5L NA since 2018, and IMO which has weakened certain areas on original cylinder head and hence the crack issue. Similarly Mazda modified the original cylinder head on the 2.5L NA for turbo and it has also weakened certain areas on original head and hence crack issue. To me, both issues are design issues, and the problem won’t go away unless Mazda redesign or modify the head to reinforce the crack areas. Yes, 2.5T seems to have more cracked head happening, and Mazda has actually modified the head, but it’d take several years to prove the modification is effective.
My 2016 has the Skyactiv 2.5L. The 2021 Sport that my brother just bought has the 2.5L also. He has about 19k on car. He probably won't drive it a whole lot since he works from home a few days of the week. Do you see a oil leak or consumption with this issue?

Last edited:
My 2016 has the Skyactiv 2.5L. The 2021 Sport that my brother just bought has the 2.5L also. He has about 19k on car. He probably won't drive it a whole lot since he works from home a few days of the week. Do you see a oil leak or consumption with this issue?
The 2.5L NA with CD in 2021 CX-5 is a much different engine from the 2.5L NA in your 2016 CX-5. A Ukrainian/Russian YouTube video has shown it’s only 2mm thin at the cracked area on a cylinder head from his 2.5L NA with CD. Even though some may believe the “percentage” of cracked head from a 2.5L with CD is very low, but the potential is alway there. And once it happens, it’d cost you an arm and a leg to fix it.

The head crack on the 2.5L NA with CD usually happens on the back side near cylinder #2 and #3 with oil leak. The oll leak can be minimum and most likely you won’t be able to tell from oil consumption. The best way to check is visual, with plastic engine cover removed.

The 2.5L NA with CD in 2021 CX-5 is a much different engine from the 2.5L NA in your 2016 CX-5. A Ukrainian/Russian YouTube video has shown it’s only 2mm thin at the cracked area on a cylinder head from his 2.5L NA with CD. Even though some may believe the “percentage” of cracked head from a 2.5L with CD is very low, but the potential is alway there. And once it happens, it’d cost you an arm and a leg to fix it.

The head crack on the 2.5L NA with CD usually happens on the back side near cylinder #2 and #3 with oil leak. The oll leak can be minimum and most likely you won’t be able to tell from oil consumption. The best way to check is visual, with plastic engine cover removed.
Thanks for the information. So, on the 2021 CX-5 sport if the car is only driven about 5k a year, how often does the oil have to be changed? 6 months or 1 year?

Thanks for the information. So, on the 2021 CX-5 sport if the car is only driven about 5k a year, how often does the oil have to be changed? 6 months or 1 year?
The manual says the (flexible) oil change schedule is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first in the US. Stick with 12 months per oil change in your case.

I took my 2018 CX5 to a shop for a possible oil leak. Mechanic says block has hairline crack, is leaking oil down exhaust manifold. He tells me from his research it's a known issue with this model & Mazda is aware of the problem. There is no recall or class action lawsuit that either of us found. He doesn't know what they have done or will do to fix the problem. I am over that 75K mile extended warranty I bought, I'm at 77,652.
I'm going to take it to the dealership in the morning. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed?

Mazda covered it 100%!!!!! I was shocked & very grateful to say the least!!
Just replaced my 2018 cx5 at 53130 miles out of pocket (just out of warranty), most likely will sell the car in couple weeks once I know the replacement fixed the problem. I am done with Mazda.

Just replaced my 2018 cx5 at 53130 miles out of pocket (just out of warranty), most likely will sell the car in couple weeks once I know the replacement fixed the problem. I am done with Mazda.
What did you replace? The cylinder head? How much did it cost? Any help from Mazda? At 53k they should offer some assistance. Why would you sell the car after having it fixed?

Back