Coolant Leak Lawsuit Investigation for the CX-5, CX-9 and Mazda6

Sorry to hear that, and hope you somehow find a way to resolve the problem with minimum loss. Yes you should come here before you made the purchase, and read the related discussions. This cracked head problem usually won’t be reflected by usual reliability stats such as Consumer Reports, but once it happens, it’d cost an arm and a leg to fix it unless you can DIY on such task.

BTW, the related TSB claimed the cylinder head has been updated since MY 2021 for the 2.5T where the cracked head symptom is coolant leak. OTOH, the cracked head on the 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation has symptom of oil leak, and Mazda has never updated the cylinder head since the engine came out in 2018 MY. This thread and class action lawsuit is only for the 2.5T. Since you have a 2021 CX-5, can you verify what kind of engine do you have, a 2.5T or a 2.5L NA with CD? And how many miles on it?
I am not for sure tbh, I took it in to have the recall fixed something with a heating valve and the oil change done and not even a week later I start over heating and take it back and they say it either a blown head gasket or cracked head but can't tell me which unless they take it apart and don't want to do tht bc it will cost me more money... so they just want to put a used engine in altogether

I had a close friend also look and coolant is visible so I'm assuming has to do with mazda not taking care of the problem

Last edited:
For a major problem like the cracked head, I simply don’t believe any reputable car manufactures would allow that 1% failure rate to a new product. Mazda didn’t know the head would crack when they added the turbo and cylinder deactivation with a modified cylinder head on a previously reliable 2.5L. Besides, this’s a major problem no one can predict until is happens.
That was the point of my post, to show our quality/reliability goals were much lower. A 1% fail rate during production testing was unacceptable. Our requirement was single-digit ppm at the assembly plant.

I am not for sure tbh, I took it in to have the recall fixed something with a heating valve and the oil change done and not even a week later I start over heating and take it back and they say it either a blown head gasket or cracked head but can't tell me which unless they take it apart and don't want to do tht bc it will cost me more money... so they just want to put a used engine in altogether

I had a close friend also look and coolant is visible so I'm assuming has to do with mazda not taking care of the problem
Sounds like the dealership screwed it up and caused the overheating issue by replacing your thermostat " water valve" if in fact you had a problem with it in the first place. What symptoms did you have that you took it to the dealership in the first place?. There was no recall, but possibly a TSB which would not have been covered anyway since you are out of warranty. Did you pay for this repair out of pocket? There are so many variables here it seems that either you don't really know what's going on or not giving the whole story.

You need to have the cooling system pressure tested and left overnight pressurized to see if there is a coolant leak. If there is, it could be from the job they just did and not the head. Have you checked the oil dipstick for coolant mixing in? Have you done a exhaust gas block test on the overflow bottle to see if exhaust gasses or present? They sell a simple $30 kit to do that yourself on Amazon which comes with special liquid that changes color when it reacts to gasses. You do not need a new engine if oil and coolant did not mix. Something fishy here. Need more info

Last edited:
Back