CPO 2018 GT vs. 2022 Preferred

I'm getting very close to joining the CX-5 family. My decision is coming down to a Certified 2018 Grand Touring (found a VIN without the fuel pump recall!) 28k miles, and the 2022 Preferred. My biggest hesitation is a 2022 going to push me to the limit of my budget - about $70 more a month for a 60 month loan. They look pretty close to me except for the bigger infotainment screen. If I push the loan to 72 months, it's closer, only about a $10 difference, longer loan though.

Is the 2022 any better of a driving experience?

thanks in advance!

I'm getting very close to joining the CX-5 family. My decision is coming down to a Certified 2018 Grand Touring (found a VIN without the fuel pump recall!) 28k miles, and the 2022 Preferred. My biggest hesitation is a 2022 going to push me to the limit of my budget - about $70 more a month for a 60 month loan. They look pretty close to me except for the bigger infotainment screen. If I push the loan to 72 months, it's closer, only about a $10 difference, longer loan though.

thanks in advance!
No brainer. Go new for a mere $70 a month. Resale value will be much greater. Besides, life is too short to not treat yourself to a new car.

Seems like i remember seeing more complaints about the 2018 model. Cylinder deactivation issues .

I’d go with the 18 gt, 28k miles is nothing. Might be looking at a little more maintenance, like tires and brakes sooner, but if there isn’t much difference, then I’d go 18 (and did). We have an 18 sport we bought with 22k miles about 6 months ago, no issues, needs the fuel pump recall done. Dont notice the cylinder deactivation…though I will say I’m not a fan of the technology. in normal times, you’d take more of a depreciation hit on a new car, but these aren’t normal times.

Never stretch yourself financially for a depreciating asset. That $70 a month over 60 months is $4200, is it worth $4200 for a slightly larger screen?

Last edited:
I’d go with the 18 gt, 28k miles is nothing. Might be looking at a little more maintenance, like tires and brakes sooner, but if there isn’t much difference, then I’d go 18 (and did). We have an 18 sport we bought with 22k miles about 6 months ago, no issues, needs the fuel pump recall done. Dont notice the cylinder deactivation…though I will say I’m not a fan of the technology. in normal times, you’d take more of a depreciation hit on a new car, but these aren’t normal times.

Never stretch yourself financially for a depreciating asset. That $70 a month over 60 months is $4200, is it worth $4200 for a slightly larger screen?
There's a lot more involved than a larger screen. There's 28k miles, 4 years older, probably need new tires soon, battery, brakes, etc., out of warranty in 8k.

Just the peace of mind of having a full mfgr. warranty for 36k should justify the extra $70 a month.

There's a lot more involved than a larger screen. There's 28k miles, 4 years older, probably need new tires soon, battery, brakes, etc., out of warranty in 8k.

Just the peace of mind of having a full mfgr. warranty for 36k should justify the extra $70 a month.
I don’t know, these are very reliable cars. Cpo gives a full year/12k miles.. The factory warranty is over by now. The dealer will sell you an extended warranty for about $1500, you are still ahead If you bought it. Maybe the dealer already did some work. Battery and tires likely have been replaced recently, if not, I’d definitely push them to do it.. Brakes shouldn’t be due for a while. I’d still go 18.

thanks in advance!

Definitely go with the 2022 if you can financially. I shopped around for a used CX-5 as well (2017-2021), before buying my '22 CX-5 Preferred. It just didn't make sense in the end to pay ALMOST as much for a used car when I could get a better NEW car for a bit more $$.

List of reasons off the top of my head why the 2022 is better:

Better resale value
Updated 10.25" infotainment screen w/ a customizable Equalizer
AA & Carplay is standard in the 2022 (not sure if they retro-fitted it in your '18 GT yet)
Updated suspension doesn't crash as much over bumps
Supposedly updated transmission programming to make it more responsive
Better looking rims IMO - Love the look of the 17" rims on the '22 models
Better ride comfort with the 17" rims, cheaper to replace tires too.
Updated LED headlights - supposedly brighter too but haven't tested it yet.
Slightly better seats
All-Wheel Drive is standard (wasn't sure if your '18 GT is AWD)
2-level cargo floor in the rear
Last but not least, hopefully whatever bugs /recalls /TSB's were present in the '18 have been worked out in the '22.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can remember for now ;)

Back