Cost of tires?

SP33D

:
Black Mica MSP
Has anyone priced new tires for our stock RacingHart MSP wheels? I'm thinking about either Pirelli or Toyo... or anything else that is top of the line. How much for 4 tires?

I got my Toyo Proxes 4 and they are great!
I got mine pretty cheap through a deal with Toyo.
If you are considering Toyo get the Proxes 4 since it is an all season ultra high performance tire (M+S rated). 300 treadwear AA traction A temperature. Price I think retail is about $120 each.

I also tried the Toyo FZ4s which are okay, but the Proxes 4 are a whole lot better. There is also the T1-S which is the summer max performance tire, but it has a lower treadwear rating.

Just a thought, I just had to order tires for my Pro5. I could not find them any cheeper than 148.00. I called Sams Wholesale and found them for 116.00 I am just putting the same tires back on my stock rims. Dunlop 195/50r16 83V are the only "all season" tires I could find without changing rims

I'm not sure about cost, but for my next tire I'm considering the kuhmo MXs. They're supposed to be really nice. If you go with an all season you're performance will probably suffer. let us know what you choose and your throughts. btw shouldn't this be in rims/tires section?

~brian

I just bought some Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's from Tirerack.com
$134 a piece. These are much better than the stock tires.

PS, with a treadwear rating of 180, you are not going to get 48,000 miles out of the stock tires. Soft compounds do not last that long.

I am 99.9% sure its 180. 180 or 140 is poor, but normal for soft compond tires. Just make sure that you rotate them often and keep them inflated a 32 psi or more.

I have 21,000 on mine and their still meaty. They will not last to 48,000. I'll be lucky to make 30,000 or so.

Bridgeston RE040 $164
bs_potenza_re040_ci2_l.jpg

Dry 8.1
Traction Wet 6.7
Traction Hydro 6.6
Resistance
Snow Traction N/A
Cornering Stability 7.7
Steering Response 7.7
Ride Comfort 6.4
Noise Comfort 5.4
Tread Wear 4.8

I personally think this is a better tire, and it's ALL SEASON! :D

ContiExtreme Contact $90
co_xtreme_contact_ci2_l.jpg

Dry 8.7
Traction Wet 8.8
Traction Hydro 8.7
Resistance
Snow Traction 8.2
Cornering Stability 8.2
Steering Response 8.3
Ride Comfort 8.6
Noise Comfort 8.5
Tread Wear 8.7

I've yet to see an all-season rated tire that didn't significantly degrade the handling of the car as compared to a good summer tire such as the MSP has stock.

aftershock63 said:
yeah I definatly have the urge to get some continetal conti sport contacts :)

My Focus SVT has the ContiSport Contact summer tire. Very grippy. Wear fast, but most high performance rubber does. They have been discontinued, however, replaced by a newer generation- I think its appropriately named the ContiSport Contact 2 or something.

I hear good things about the Kumhos for the dough. Grippy and also fast wearing, but cheap to replace. Popular with some of the autocross guys.

I absolutly hate the kumhmo 712's I don't care how cheap they are. I don't believe them when they say the traction is AA. I've had a friend with a p5 who went form the eagle F1's to the 712's cuz they were cheaper and he hated them. He said they didn't compare in any way except for the fact they were the same size. He is saving up to get the F1's again in the spring.

I got a friend with them on his 2k2 civic and a 94 celica gt both wiht 17's and they both said they sucked. I liked my pradr spec2's they were nice grippy nice pattern good in the rain lasted a lot logger than I expected but I want to try either the AVS sports or or the S03's I'm a little different cuz I run 225/40/18

rocketspeed said:
I've yet to see an all-season rated tire that didn't significantly degrade the handling of the car as compared to a good summer tire such as the MSP has stock.

Can you give me a site or something to prove this? Only reason why I ask is b/c I want to keep the stock stickiness, but I want to have some all seasons as well. Thanks in advance

-Fnny

SmoothCriminal said:
did you guys not get a tire warranty with your cars? my dealership garaunteed them for 48000 miles...

Damn that's one dumb dealer :D
They are 140 treadwear!
Mine are looking poor at 27k miles.

You think I'm lying or something? That I have it in for M&S rated tires? ;)

Try this on for size:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testResultsModel.jsp?tireModel=P6000&tireMake=Pirelli

Look at the faster track times and higher performance ratings on the Pirelli summer tire. The all season P6000 is a very similar traed pattern with a different compound, so it gives you a good idea of what a winter suitable compound with a tread modified for (very!) light snow duty will do to performance- degrade it in the dry.

Here's another good article. All season tires really give you the WORST of both worlds- your summer performance goes down and as you'll see below, winter performance doesn't tend to be great either:

http://www.racerchicks.com/qa/auto_tires.html

On top of this, your car is still going to stink in snow with any all season tire that I'm aware of. Look here:

http://www.articlecity.com/articles/auto_and_trucks/article_56.shtml

A lot of family type cars fare better with an all-season tire in snow because the thinner tread and higher sidewall of a smaller tire cuts through better. The big wide 17's on our cars like to float on the snow, even with a snow tire on- a 15 inch snow tire will perform better than a 17.

Also read (I think) December's Sport Compact Car, which had an article all about suspension and tires- talks about avoiding the M&S designation if you're going to drive hard. Those little cuts in the tread that help you in the snow make the tire skid more easily and you can even tear tread blocks off if you really push it.

rocketspeed said:
A lot of family type cars fare better with an all-season tire in snow because the thinner tread and higher sidewall of a smaller tire cuts through better. The big wide 17's on our cars like to float on the snow, even with a snow tire on- a 15 inch snow tire will perform better than a 17.

I agree with everything you said in your post except the piece I quoted can be a tiny bit misleading. A narrower snow tire is only better for standing slush or snow. If the roads have a layer of packed snow or ice on them, like they often do in Wisconsin, then a wider tire is better. No matter how narrow a tire you're not going to be able to cut through packed snow or ice, and when that's the case you'll benefit from a bigger contact patch. That's why personally I prefer a little wider snow tire than what most people use here -- it'll still perform equally well or better in most snowy conditions and you won't lose so much handling in the dry too.

Back