Cosmo 20B-REW & The Greddy Emanage Ultimate

Berty

:
Eunos Cosmo
As some of you may know, I have been running the Greddy Emanage Ultimate on my 20B Cosmo with little to no success. Today however I managed to drive it for the first time without any major hick-ups.

Finding good info on the Emanage Ultimate and Rotary Engines is a real pain in the ass to say the least, yet alone trying to find info on how to run one in a JCESE Cosmo. Greddy really aren't much help at all and it is very annoying to see that they have advertised this unit as compatible on the 20B Cosmo even though I am clearly the first person (even outside Greddy) to give it a shot.

However, I have great assistance from Mitchel who works for Greddy Oceania. Greddy America though had really poor customer service but if anyone wants specific details then please contact me directly.

Okay so here is how to set the unit up! :)

Jumper Settings

All jumpers need to be left in the factory position. Contrary to popular belief the 20B does not use "Honda Pull-up Type Distributor." The ignition output signal is 5V not 12V (although I have tried both without any issues or damage)

The only jumper that needs to be changed is the airflow meter type. As it stands, the e-manage ultimate will not work with our standard 20B airflow meter. They have not implemented it correctly in software and you must not send this signal to the Emanage Ultimate, instead bypass this signal straight to the factory ECU.

A little note about the 20B air flow meter; it reads as if it where a hot wire meter, i.e. 5V is no load, 0V is full load. Although it seems like a hot wire signal, it isn't... there is something about the pulsing of its output that the Emanage can't handle.I am hoping that Greddy fix's this though.

Wiring Harness

The Greddy wiring diagram for the 20B-REW is WRONG! Later Japanese revisions of the manual seem to have fixed this, however Western kits still have the wrong wiring diagram.

The picture below shows the incorrect Greddy Diagram (Top) compared to the correct wiring diagram taken from the Apexi RSM Manual...

pinout.jpg

Note that pins; G, NE, E need to be moved one space to the right to correct the issue. AFAIK, this is the only mistake here, but it wouldn't surprise me if there where other problems.

If you are unlucky enough to have a harness made using this diagram then the symptoms are that as soon as you plug the emanage in to the car's loom, your injectors will start (without the car even being turned on) and will flood you engine MAJORLY.

The Emanage will also start up with an Amber light and then turn itself off after about five seconds. I emailed Greddy about this problem but they still haven't removed the incorrect diagram from their tech support sections of their website.

The other things that you may want to consider during the wiring is whether or not to use the water temp sensor. If you intend to use the auto-tune feature then you must wire this in instead of two knock sensors. I didn't bother with the inlet air temp.

Unit Set-Up

This is where we see more gremlins. I'll go through each tab separately...

Main setup.

page1hi.jpg

Okay, once you have selected the 20B-REW you need to go to the # of cylinders tab and change that from R2 to R3.

RPM Signal Type should be "Ignition Signal"

Everything else remains the same.

Ignition Set-Up

page2zz.jpg

This is another thing that Greddy stuffed up and is a bit weird to fix. Although the Cosmo 20B only uses two ignition signals, you need to tell the emanage to use four inputs and outputs (So long as you have followed the above wiring diagram).

For most vehciles, this automatically completes itself once you have selected the engine type... not so for the 20B.

Channel 1 needs to be set to Trailing and Channel 4 will need to be set to Leading on both maps. The fun part is that when you first try and set this up, it will force you to use the 13B-MSP ignition options. If you accidentally insert one of these then you need to delete the entire vehicle set-up file and start again... :(

So long as you get the Leading and Trailing in the right place, just hit apply, close the program and restart it, the changes you made should look like my window above. Once again, I'm hoping that someone at Greddy reads this and makes changes to the program as they seem unable to read emails from customers.

Okay, these are two main panels that you will need to change. I won't go into the other just yet but so long as you have not selected any maps, the car should be fine to start and drive. At this point it is time to take it to a Dyno and check those AFR's. For ease, I have attached my datalogs and E-manage file for those of you brave (or stupid) enough to take the plunge with me.

Attachments

• cosmo first drive without afm.zip
    367.4 KB · Views: 404
  • Cosmo Map V2.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Ok, this seems really cool but I need some educating here.

What is the Greedy E-manage versus a Haltech Platinum for example.

I know the Haltech can plug directly into the wiring loom via an adapter harness. Then you program away all your options as per any stand alone ECU.

So whats the Greedy version...........??

REgards

The Emanage Ultimate is a piggy back fuel / ignition computer. It lets allows you to modify the factory computer signals where you see fit.

The Haltech is the better option (IMHO) but requires a bit more work to get up and running as it replaces the factory ECU and hence has to be tuned with some type of base map.

You retain all of the functionality of the stock ECU, but you get to tweak it's fuel and ignition signals + or - .

This is a cut and paste of the features list...
FEATURES
(Dip) Toggle Switch
2 independent setting can now be stored and accessed via the ''Toggle Switch.''2 separate maps for the ''Injection Adjustment Map'' and the ''Ignition Map.'' (For Rotary engines, 2 separate ''Primary and Secondary Injector Maps'' and ''Leading & Trailing Ignition Maps.'') i.e. one program for''street''and one for ''race track''.
USB Port
e-manage is industry first to adapt the USB communication technology. We have improved communication with ability to use standard USB cables. This improvement also enhances the communication speed for more detailed real time monitoring and data recording.
Ignition Signal Adapter Socket (Ignition Signal Adapter 1 & 2)
Data Log Features
*Data Logging
Samplings can be recorded at 20msec on up to different 8 channels on the unit itself and over 30 when using theincluded software.The data can be recorded even when the PC is not connected.
*TEXT File Feature
The data recorded in the Real Time Display mode can now be save as TEXT file. Organizing the data can simplified by opening the data in Excel and creating a graph.
*Knock Monitor (Future update)
Knock can be monitored and reviewed.
*Ignition Timing Display (Future update)
Ignition Timing can be monitored in the Real Time Display mode.
SETTING
Airflow Output Map
Previously labeled ''Airflow Adjustment Map'' is now ''Airflow Output Map''. (#)This can now used to eliminate the factory airflow meter. This is done by directly inputting voltage or frequency in to this map.
Boost Limiter Cut
Anti Engine Stall Feature
The 8 adjustment cells are now upgraded to 16 cells, for even finer adjustment.
Injection Adjustment Map
Fuel trimming in the previous system was achieved by adjusting the ''Airflow Adjustment Map'' which could also affectthe ignition timing. The improved ''Injection Adjustment Map'' is used to trim and add fuel directly by controlling the injector signal, therefor it will not affect the ignition timing at all. (However with an internal jumper setting change, the system is still able to trim the fuel by adjusting the airflow signal like the previous unit)
Acceleration Injection Map
Like the''Injection Adjustment Map'', the ''Acceleration Injection Map''can trim fuel by controlling the injector signal. This is used if it is necessary to smooth rapid transitions to wide open throttle.
Individual Cylinder Injection Adj. & Individual Cylinder Ignition Adj. Maps
It is possible to correct uneven combustion between cylinders, by fine tuning each individual cylinder for more advanced tuning.
A/F Target Value Map (feedback tuning function)
By inputting target Air Fuel values in this map, ''e-mange Ultimate'' will automatically make corrections to the ''Injection Map,'' if an A/F meter (*high quality) is connected to the Auxiliary Output signal. This feature can shorten the tuning time.
Vehicle Speed Correction Map
Inconsistencies due to differences in vehicle speed (difference in load) can be corrected with this map.
Coolant Temp Correction Map (Must be Selected with Knock Signal 1)
When the ECU Coolant Temp Calibration does not match the e-manage's tuning, this map is used to tune the system at various temperature ranges.
Intake Air Temp Correction Map (Must be Selected with Knock Signal 2)
When the ECU Intake Air Temp Calibration does not match the e-manage's tuning, this map is used to tune the system at various temperature ranges.
(#)This map is also be used when eliminating the airflow meter on a vehicle equipped with a hotwire type airflow meter.
Rev Limiter Cut
For vehicles with a fuel cutting controlled rev limiter, this feature will drive the injectors past the factory rev limiter.
*This feature will not work on vehicles with rev limiter controlled by ignition cut.
Ignition Adjustment Map
The ''Ignition Adjustment Map'' can accurately advance ignition timing by controlling the crank angle / cam angle signal.
Throttle Setting
Any voltage can be inputted directly to set the throttle position.
Ignition Cut Feature
With the installation of a switch (in the ''ON'' position), ignition can be cut at a set RPM point.
A/T Shift Compensation Feature
On vehicles with Automatic Transmissions, ignition timing can be compensated at set shift-up and shift-down points.
VTEC Output Map
This feature can be used to control VTEC (O2 Sensor Adapter)
NVCS Control Map
NVCS (Nissan Valve Control System) can be controlled with out the need for NVCS Adapter 1.
Analog Output Map
This feature can be used to eliminate the factory boost cut function on vehicles that are equipped with both an airflow meter
and a pressure sensor (i.e.: FC3S, Subaru).
Also, on some vehicles, the factory feedback range can be adjusted by outputting a corrected throttle position signal.
Idle Stabilization Map
If the factory idle control valve is a solenoid type valve, this map can vary the valve's duration to adjust the injection rate.
(#)This is used when eliminating the airflow meter.
Speed Limiter Cut Feature
This feature will eliminate the factory speed limiter. (May not work on some vehicles)
OPTIONAL PARTS
Protect Feature
Each Map has the option to be password protected.
Serial port
External data (like ''GReddy Warning Meters'', and other future optional products) can be monitored and recorded in real time through a data link cable.
Switch Port
''Data logging''and''Ignition Cut'' features can be activated with the use of an optional ''Remote Switching System'' and
''Switching Harness''
Option 1 & Option 2
An additional''Option Connector'' is added to the previous''Pressure Connector.''
Now any two Options (like ''GReddy Pressure Sensor,''''GReddy Temp Sensor,''''Multi-Switching System,'' A/F Meter, Auxiliary Switch, Factory Pressure Sensor, or Other Analog Input signal) can be selected using the ''Option 1''and/or ''Option 2 ''ports.

My friend just had his stock 1J tuned with the Emanage and gained 45Kw atw over the factory map. I am hoping to get mine redone in the next few weeks so I will post the results when done. :)

Last edited:
Back