Continental Crosscontact LX25 Tires

:
2019 Mazda6 & CX-5
I’ve had these on our CX-5 now for a couple months now and have driven in rain/cold/snow. They are hands-down, far superior under inclement weather than the extra crappy OEM tires. They don’t slip easily (unlike the OEM tires) and provide a much better glued-to-the-road sensation from the driver’s seat.

The sidewalls seem slightly softer than the OEM tires, which has made for a slightly better ride. I would also say they slightly reduced steering feel and responsiveness. I would not call these tires sporty at all but they make driving the CX-5 a slightly more pleasant affair when not flogging it, eliminating some of the dartiness this short wheelbase small suv has on the highway. Seems like perfect tires for this people mover.

Hard to go wrong with these tires.

225/55R19 or 225/65R17? What MY? Tire pressure you use when cold?

I have the Signauture, so it’s got the 19” tires. Whatever the tire PSI recommendation shows on the sticker on the driver’s side door jam is what I filled the tire to-I believe it’s 36 psi cold pressure.

These are the tires I will be getting when I need replacements. I hate the OEM tires, but I'm going going to try and push them a little further. I will be upgrading soon, though!

kudo's to bman5150 for a succinct and VERY useful post regarding the difference in COMFORT between the A36 to Cross Contact LX25. Yes, I'm posting this so if someone searches for COMFORT and A36 or LX25, they'll get a hit on this thread. :)

So pulled the trigger on a set of LX25's on Tuesday, from Discount Tire; 235/55/19 101H, which are cheaper than 225/55/19, don't rub the suspension that I can tell, and only a hair difference on speedo; 70/71mph on GPS vs 70mph on speedo/cruise display. The guys at Discount Tire said they have installed 235's on many CX-5 the last 3 years, as 225's aren't that popular and more $$. There might be a slight drop in MPG. Will monitor, as I reset the counters at every fill.

Paid $831 for tires+installation+disposal, before tax. $183 each tire-only. There is a $70 rebate from Continental until Dec 31.

Got 39.6K mi out of the factory A39 (UTQG 300 AA). Hoping to get 80/85k or more out of LX25 (UTQG 740AA).

Even with Discount Tire filling them to *39 psi, there is markedly less road shock transmitted to body and steering over expansion joints and rough pavement, as compared the to A36. I know some of that is because there is full tread depth on the LX25 vs 3/32 on the A36, but the LX25 carcass seems more compliant. I plan to drop the pressure to 35psi and discern further improvements in shock isolation, vs loss of turn in.

The steering turn/response seems as sharp as the A36 (either at 7/32 or at 3/32). LX25 are noticeably quieter than the A36 on textured concrete freeways, and slightly quieter on blacktop--the A36 were very quiet on blacktop. Straight-ahead tracking seems very good--the tires don't readily follow pavement grooving.

*apparently their way to keep your TPMS from coming on with North TX Winter temp swings from 20F to 75F.

AVC-thx for sharing your experience with these tires. Also interesting that you went with a slightly wider tire-I would expect that to slightly improve handling at a slight hit to fuel economy but can’t imagine its material.

Yeah, fair comment. Not sure how MPG will impacted; although 10mm wider, it might be a wash on MPG, as the LX25 are rated very good on low rolling resistance. I'll know in a month or so (about 3 tanks).

Yeah, fair comment. Not sure how MPG will impacted; although 10mm wider, it might be a wash on MPG, as the LX25 are rated very good on low rolling resistance. I'll know in a month or so (about 3 tanks).
With your slightly bigger rolling diameter, you will be going a little faster than the speedometer says, and be getting a little better fuel economy that what is reported. Acceleration will be a little slower. All subtle.

Very subtle. Actual dimensional data from a new A36 225/55/19 and LX25 235/55/19; about 1.4% difference in revs/mile.

So pulled the trigger on a set of LX25's on Tuesday, from Discount Tire; 235/55/19 101H, which are cheaper than 225/55/19, don't rub the suspension that I can tell, and only a hair difference on speedo; 70/71mph on GPS vs 70mph on speedo/cruise display. The guys at Discount Tire said they have installed 235's on many CX-5 the last 3 years, as 225's aren't that popular and more $$. There might be a slight drop in MPG. Will monitor, as I reset the counters at every fill.

Paid $831for tires+installation+disposal, before tax. $183 each tire-only. There is a $70 rebate from Continental until Dec 31.

Got 39.6K mi out of the factory A39 (UTQG 300 AA). Hoping to get 80/85k or more out of LX25 (UTQG 740AA).

Even with Discount Tire filling them to *39 psi, there is markedly less road shock transmitted to body and steering over expansion joints and rough pavement, as compared the to A36. I know some of that is because there is full tread depth on the LX25 vs 3/32 on the A36, but the LX25 carcass seems more compliant. I plan to drop the pressure to 35psi and discern further improvements in shock isolation, vs loss of turn in.

The steering turn/response seems as sharp as the A36 (either at 7/32 or at 3/32). LX25 are noticeably quieter than the A36 on textured concrete freeways, and slightly quieter on blacktop--the A36 were very quiet on blacktop. Straight-ahead tracking seems very good--the tires don't readily follow pavement grooving.

*apparently their way to keep your TPMS from coming on with North TX Winter temp swings from 20F to 75F.
My factory Toyo A23’s won’t rub the front struts when I look at them, but they did leave black rubbing marks on front struts which indicates the my 225/55R19 A23’s did rub the front suspension in certain conditions.

When I checked the specs on Continental CrossContact LX25 for 225/55R19 99V and 235/55R19 101H from Tire Rack, the difference is more than I thought it’d be:

DB8133E9-B7DD-4D25-8D21-5097F57F9ABB.jpeg

225 is V rated but 235 is H rated. Some people insist they want V rated tires to match factory V rating on 19” tires.

225 is 10/32” but 235 is 12/32” on tread depth.

225 is 27 lbs. but 235 is 31 lbs. on weight, and 235 is 14.8% heavier than 225.

225 has 7” but 235 has 7.5” for measuring rim width whereas the width of our factory 19” rim is 7”. “The measuring rim width is the industry standardized rim width upon which the tire must be mounted in order to confirm it meets its dimensional targets. Because the width of the rim will influence the width of the tire, a standard rim width for every tire size is assigned and must be used. This standardized measuring rim width allows all of the tires produced around the world to meet the same dimensional standards and therefore, be equivalent with regards to their physical size. The measuring rim width is sometimes referred to as the tire's "design rim width."”

225 has 28.7” and 235 has 29.2” on overall diameter, and 235 is 1.7% larger than 225.

225 has 723 and 235 has 712 revolutions per mile and 235 has 1.5% less revolutions than 225.

Finally, 225 is made in the USA, but 235 is made in Portugal.

Last edited:
Interesting. Actually, that is quite a bit more tire weight-surprised there is that much difference in such a small size increase. Usually, adding unsprung rates deteriorates ride quality a little. That was my experience with my old mustang GT when I added wider Nitto drag radials. But I also upgraded the shocks at the same time so it helped keep the additional unsprung weight mostly in check.

Glad I found this thread. Thanks for the insight. I'm currently looking for new tires to use in snowy conditions. My initial decision is to get dedicated winter tires, but I'm leaning towards a more cost-effective option which is why I'm considering Toyo all-terrain tires. I haven't finalized my decision yet thus why I'm checking all my options.

southwales, over on the Miata.net forum there's a section for non-Miata talk. Lot of very knowledgeable car nuts over there. Here's a recent discussion about "All Weather," "All Season" versus winter tires, for SUVs and CUVs: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=733147

Just to give you some more options to think about.

We’ve had our biggest snow//ice storm of the season this weekend and into today. The Continental Crosscontact lx25 tires are just excellent in the snow/ice. Our kids drive this car the most, and I’m very happy to have these tires on the car now. The CX-5 has been a little beast in the inclement weather this weekend. I still highly recommend these tires for the CX-5.

When I checked the specs on Continental CrossContact LX25 for 225/55R19 99V and 235/55R19 101H from Tire Rack, the difference is more than I thought it’d be:

View attachment 234029

225 is V rated but 235 is H rated. Some people insist they want V rated tires to match factory V rating on 19” tires.

225 is 10/32” but 235 is 12/32” on tread depth.

225 has 28.7” and 235 has 29.2” on overall diameter, and 235 is 1.7% larger than 225.

225 has 723 and 235 has 712 revolutions per mile and 235 has 1.5% less revolutions than 225.

Finally, 225 is made in the USA, but 235 is made in Portugal.

I wonder about the 235/55 "105V XL"?

How do tire manufacturers come up with these confusing differences?

With your slightly bigger rolling diameter, you will be going a little faster than the speedometer says, and be getting a little better fuel economy that what is reported. Acceleration will be a little slower. All subtle.
I have LX25's, and speedometer signs get my speed to the same mph well past 70, as my HUD.

Back