Confused about the timing belt replacement interval

davemsc

:
mazda protege5
Hey all
I'm trading different things about the timing belt replacement interval.
My manual says 100,000 km(I'm in Canada). Others are saying 105,000 miles! That's probably USA but some locations the weather is similar.
The previous owner replaced it at 151,000km, but there was an owner previous to him and no idea if it got changed before 150k. It's approaching 250,000km soon.
Do you think it needs a100k interval if we get cold weather?
Thanks a lot
Dave

Hey all
I'm trading different things about the timing belt replacement interval.
My manual says 100,000 km(I'm in Canada). Others are saying 105,000 miles! That's probably USA but some locations the weather is similar.
The previous owner replaced it at 151,000km, but there was an owner previous to him and no idea if it got changed before 150k. It's approaching 250,000km soon.
Do you think it needs a100k interval if we get cold weather?
Thanks a lot
Dave

I say don't worry about the belt, just wait till it breaks...

There's only a very slim chance that you will have engine damage from the T-belt breaking.

Some guys have gone 200,000 miles on their original belt.

Maybe get CAA for peace of mind...

I'm trying to figure out whether to fix the car up($1400 including winter tires) to pass safety? Since I don't know if the car is lasting too much longer even if I fix it, I need to take everything into consideration. The timing belt change would be next year if done at 100,000, which makes me lean toward not bothering fixing it at all.

I'm trying to figure out whether to fix the car up($1400 including winter tires) to pass safety? ...

You could buy a good P5 for that much.

It might be time to take it behind the barn and put her down...

You get the same money for scrap if it's all bashed to hell.

Yeah, it is a tough call.
I can trade it in locally and get$1000 for it, and get a2013 Mazda 3 sedan with 90,000km on it for$8000 before tax, that includes the trade in.
I want a hatchback, but it's a pretty great deal. And my safety runs out in 5 days.
So is that$1400 better off into a newer car or fixing this one. I'm torn down the middle lol

I'm at 120k miles on original belt on my P5. I'll change it in a couple years.

Since you mentioned it... Hold out for a 2014 or later hatchback. They're gorgeous and the only truly worthy successor to the P5, looks-wise :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hahaha, I as just coming on here to say I decided to go for the 2013! I just found out there is 2 years of extended warranty on it as well!

We'll see how it goes without a hatchback. We have a Mitsubishi outlander so we definitely have a vehicle that has space.

If I end up craving a hatch again, completely agree - 2014 or 2015

I am going to miss the p5. That was my second one. End of an era (sad2)

Congrats on the late-model car purchase. With two years of warranty left, that's pretty sweet.

What I'd like to know if if the Mazda 3 does any better as far as rust goes than the Protege.

In Texas maybe, but not in any salty areas. 3's are just as bad as P5's for rust. Do a Google image search. It's disgusting.

I won't dare touch another Mazda because of their rust problems. No way I'd buy one in Nova Scotia. Not a chance. Just get something else.

Salt will rust out any brand of car, not just Mazdas. It all depends on how much salt the cars see and how often the salt is washed off.

hahaha, I as just coming on here to say I decided to go for the 2013! I just found out there is 2 years of extended warranty on it as well!

Spend the money and get it under coated... Take it to a place that drills holes in the pillars and door frames to get the spray where it needs to be.
Do it every year.

Salt will rust out any brand of car, not just Mazdas. It all depends on how much salt the cars see and how often the salt is washed off.

Everything you've said is true, but the fact is that Mazda's rust worse than most other cars in salty areas. Way worse. Way, way, way worse. Same environment, same year, same mileage, same maintenance, and the Mazda will have a mind blowing amount of rust. It's really bad.

GA is not salty.

While there are exceptions specific to certain models, most other manufacturers do a much better job at preventing rust than Mazda. If I ever bought a 2-5 year old Mazda (I'll be damned if I ever do), I would put the thing on Jack stands, rip off the ground effects, bumpers, liners, front fenders, interior door panels, and paint everything with a quality brush on paint. Then I would hose the underside of the vehicle multiple times throughout winter with a product like Fluid Film.

Last edited:
Back