Confused about IIHS Headlight rating for CX-9

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature, Machine Grey Metallic
Per the IIHS rating for the 2019 CX-9, the Grand Touring and Signature trims (which feature the adaptive front-lighting system) scores a Poor for its headlights while the Touring scores an Acceptable. I*m really confused by this seemingly incorrect rating. Are the headlights on the GT and Signature really bad? Is the Adaptive system adversely affecting the effectiveness of the headlights?

Full report of the 2019 Mazda CX-9

Last edited:
Maybe it's apples to oranges, but I have adaptive headlights on my 2017 6 GT, and I think they're great.
The way they move and track with the steering wheel is really cool.
I can't see that the CX-9 would be that much different.

Maybe it's apples to oranges, but I have adaptive headlights on my 2017 6 GT, and I think they're great.
The way they move and track with the steering wheel is really cool.
I can't see that the CX-9 would be that much different.

Oh, I*m sure that the adaptive headlights are good. I*m just confused that the non-adaptive ones were rated higher by th IIHS. The measurements were significantly lower on the adaptive headlights, compared to the non-adaptive ones:

Trim level(s)
Sport trim equipped with Power Driver's Seat package
Touring trim
Low-beam headlight type LED projector
High-beam headlight type LED projector
Curve-adaptive? No
High-beam assist? Yes
Overall rating
Applies to 2018-19 models
A Acceptable
LOW BEAMS Average minimum useful
illumination distance (5 lux) Amount glare
exceeded threshold
Straightaway right edge 91.9 m None
Straightaway left edge 44.5 m None
250m radius right curve, right edge 60.7 m None
250m radius left curve, right edge 43.8 m None
150m radius right curve, right edge 52.7 m None
150m radius left curve, right edge 45.4 m None
HIGH BEAMS Average minimum useful
illumination distance (5 lux)
Straightaway right edge 141.0 m
Straightaway left edge 137.9 m
250m radius right curve, right edge 59.6 m
250m radius left curve, left edge 67.4 m
150m radius right curve, right edge 46.9 m
150m radius left curve, left edge 50.3 m

Trim level(s)
Grand Touring trim
Signature trim
Low-beam headlight type LED projector
High-beam headlight type LED projector
Curve-adaptive? Yes
High-beam assist? Yes
Overall rating
Applies to 2018-19 models
P Poor
LOW BEAMS Average minimum useful
illumination distance (5 lux) Amount glare
exceeded threshold
Straightaway right edge 41.8 m None
Straightaway left edge 26.8 m None
250m radius right curve, right edge 40.2 m None
250m radius left curve, right edge 30.3 m None
150m radius right curve, left edge 34.8 m None
150m radius left curve, right edge 27.8 m None
HIGH BEAMS Average minimum useful
illumination distance (5 lux)
Straightaway right edge 128.5 m
Straightaway left edge 125.1 m
250m radius right curve, right edge 72.8 m
250m radius left curve, left edge 78.8 m
150m radius right curve, right edge 65.7 m
150m radius left curve, left edge 69.9 m

Last edited:
Maybe it has something to do with the housings? Or the presence of AFS components somehow changes the position of the LEDs behind the projector, affecting the spread?

2017 CX-9 Signature here .... i really like my headlights. No issues with brightness, intensity, distance, tracking the road, etc.
Definitely one of the better stock headlights i've had on a car.

The OEM projectors and aftermarket Philips HID bulbs I had on my 2008 Lexus IS250 were better than the LEDs on my 18 Sig, but not by a lot.

I'm very satisfied with the adaptive lights on my '16. Are the '19 lights different?

We need to know how they were tested. If somehow the test setup does not accurately represent how people like the adaptive lights on an actual road, then the problem is the test, not the lights. We need to know more.

I'm very satisfied with the adaptive lights on my '16. Are the '19 lights different?

We need to know how they were tested. If somehow the test setup does not accurately represent how people like the adaptive lights on an actual road, then the problem is the test, not the lights. We need to know more.

How this test is conducted

If you look at the CX-9 2018 IIHS report, thinks get even more confusing. The 2018 report covers 6 different trim configuration, for vehicle built before february 2018, the adaptive lighting on the GT and signature scores Average. For vehicle built after Jan 2018, the adaptive lighting on the GT and signature score a poor rating.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Mazda/cx-9-4-door-suv/2018#headlights

What changed on the CX-9 headlights in February 2018 ?

Just a sidenote to this that if you are experiencing that the headlights are not effective, wash them. The other night we were traveling on a highway and there was some water on the road and we could hardly see: the headlights seemed to be quite weak and dim. We stopped and washed the headlights which instantly fixed the issue. With the clean headlights the visibility from our signature Cx-9 was as good or better than from any other car that I ever drove.

Just a sidenote to this that if you are experiencing that the headlights are not effective, wash them. The other night we were traveling on a highway and there was some water on the road and we could hardly see: the headlights seemed to be quite weak and dim. We stopped and washed the headlights which instantly fixed the issue. With the clean headlights the visibility from our signature Cx-9 was as good or better than from any other car that I ever drove.

That’s why in some vehicles like Lexus, Audi, Volvo and other premium brands they have built in headlight washers that activate when you use the windshield washer! Unfortunately Mazda doesn’t have that...That’s one feature I liked when I had the Volvo!

That’s why in some vehicles like Lexus, Audi, Volvo and other premium brands they have built in headlight washers that activate when you use the windshield washer! Unfortunately Mazda doesn’t have that...That’s one feature I liked when I had the Volvo!

That would definitely be a nice "lux-type" feature to add, but only if they could integrate it cleanly into the areas circled.

Capture.JPG

I had a 2008 IS250 with headlight washers integrated cleanly into the front bumper, and they worked great.

Capture2.JPG

It would be awesome if they could be integrated into the chrome grille surround the same way that the 3rd gen Lexus GS integrated washers into the chrome trim around the headlight housing.

headlight_washer_cover_a2901f1ec7b6eaf7fa6f4f0093c1153e351e857d.jpg

Ive had and have some higher end cars, and the adaptive headlights on my wifes 2018 CX 9 Sig are some of the best Ive ever experienced, so not sure what they ratings are what they are.

Back