Common problems with the Mazda3

sajack said:
Do you suppose it has a FORD rev limiter?

LoL! Well, if Ford made the ECU, then I think it's a pretty safe bet they made the rev limiter (since it's just software). (yupnope)

10,000 as of last night.

Door rattles: fixed
Crappy wiper blades: not concerned
Crappy rear disc dust: waiting for them to wear out

Scale of 1-10 = 9.75
Still a very satisfied customer, even if I don't have a turbo ...yet.

my carpet on the drivers side is starting to tear. This cannot be normal. It is tearing where the mat hook is and it is tearing wear the dead pedal area is. What do you guys think about this. Will the dealership replace the carpeting.

Loose said:
10,000 as of last night.

Door rattles: fixed
Crappy wiper blades: not concerned
Crappy rear disc dust: waiting for them to wear out

Scale of 1-10 = 9.75
Still a very satisfied customer, even if I don't have a turbo ...yet.

What was the door rattle fix? Mine came back; passenger side only.

I purchased PIAA silicon wipers; absolutely terrific.

Rear disc dust has been getting better as the miles pile on.

Yep

ZippityZoomZoom said:

Door rattle fied and has not returned. I have a great tech at my stealership.

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

netranger6 said:
Wheel hop clunk that is just un-nerving, auto down on window works when it wants to, and has been replaced; squeaking in my seat and roof; in-consistent mileage; and most currently they are replacing some strut brace gasket/bearing that squeaks when I turn it to the left. Oh yeah, glove box that simply does not line up properly....

What you need is a good used Camaro!

I misunderstood the Q

ZippityZoomZoom said:

The fix was just some loose screws that screwed into the inner door frame

heh, i seem to have broken my rear motor mount on my 05 hatch. its got 2600 miles on it........oops! (yupnope)

My Mazda 3 is a piece of JUNK!

I've read through so many posts that mention problems people have had with their Mazda 3 and how much they love the car still. Personally, I think the thing is a piece of junk.

I purchased my Mazda on October 1st. Before the first payment was made, the engine light came on. Before I could get it into the shop, it went off. In December, it came on again. I took it back to the dealer. They kept it for two days and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Except a clock that won't keep correct time and aparantly they are ordering me a new one of those but they are backordered because the clocks are junk just like the rest of the car.

This week (January) the engine light came back on. I called and made an appointment to have it checked out. Then the light went back off. Well, I've already learned that if the light is not on, they can't figure out what is wrong so I canceled the appointment. Tonight, I got in to go out for dinner. The engine light, ABS light, Stearing Wheel light, Battery light, and AT light all came on and off as I drove. When they were all on, the speedometer dropped to zero.

I can't really take it in because by the time I get it there, everything will be working fine again. What ticks me off most though is that I purchased a NEW car so I wouldn't have to deal with repairs. The cost isn't the issue here--warranty is still in effect, but the time and hassle is just too much. I'm honestly thinking lemon or not, I'm about to stop making payments on the sucker and let them have it back.

We bought a Nissan the day before and haven't had a lick of problems with it.

Shakespeare72, let me say that what you are going through really sucks! It is possible you DO have a lemon, but it could also be electrical and finding the problem could fix all your issues.

I would take your Mazda3 to another dealership or ask/insist on having the shop foreman or senior mechanic work on your car. Everyone raves about Wolfe Langley, I would call them if you're in Canada, BC, and speak to Mark, the manager. He's quite knowledgable.

What u can also do, providing that there is one available for our Mazda3 is get a code reader. Use the code reader when the idiot lights go on. Find out the return policy of the reader so you can return it afterwards. Remember, every brand has it's share of lemons.

It's really funny how people are loyal to their cars. With my VW TDI, I could NOT say ANYTHING negative about it without somebody from the VW forum jumping on me. I have my problems with my Mazda right now. I am dealing with the service manager and with a head guy at Mazda Canada too. It's not a lemon, but it is so frustrating and disappointing with some of the issues so early with the new car.

Also, I would like to also encourage everyone to insist that their service manager logs any and all complaints with Mazda Canada, especially with the A/C issue with the 2005, and 2004's.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
It was stated before and beaten to death probably, but this is a Mazda site as it is with your VW site, these are people who have spent thousands of dollars on a vehicle that is part of their daily lives. Saying, "I drive a piece of crap" isn't usually something people are proud of especially when it is NOT their experience. The fact is forums are NOT a sampling of the real world; but a very unique and relatively small segment of auto purchasers. If you gather real, empirical data you will see that major problems are not common with the Mazda3. That is why Consumer Reports and other data gathering groups say this is a reliable car. They are not emotionally attached to a purchase they have made, they are looking at data gleaned from the THOUSANDs of Mazda3s out there. Take a deep breath, step back a moment and think about things rationally.

8 months and 8,000 miles and not a single issue or problem with our Mazda3 Special Edition. I guess if I had to come up with some kind of complaint it would be that the paint seems to be a little thin and fragile, but this seems to be an industry-wide norm with today`s environmentally friendly paints. This is one great car, 1,000 times better than the GM piece-of-junk we traded in on it.
The mileage is not as good as a Civic or a Corolla, but the 2.3 has decent torque and drives and performs like many larger V6s.
This car is one of the best purchases we have ever made. It has the aura of a much more expensive car. My wife got stopped by a cop last Friday and he thought it was a BMW.

The paint does suck, i have at least 6 chips in my hood with only 5000 miles, theonly other prob. i had was a bad bumper clip that took 3 times for them to fix but they ordered a new kind of clip and it has not push out yet. i still love this car! (first)

Interesting, I decided to re-read this thread and I didn't find anyone mentioning about the poor A/C in the Mazda3. It is mentioned in other Mazda forums. The problem appears to be the cycling on and off of the A/C every 10 seconds. Initially, the 04's had no diffuser. Of course, it's winter now so most people aren't using it, but come the spring and fall, one will really notice it if they use their A/C at a setting of Level 1.

I complained about it and then got the diffuser installed. Haven't used the a/c since, so I don't know if it worked or not.

If you didnt have a diffuser to begin with, it will make a difference. But many people with an 05 do have a diffuser and the A/C is still weak. You need to have it on level 2. The compressor also cycles on and off every 10 seconds. During this time, only warm air is blowing, hence the poor cooling.

blondee_yvr said:
If you didnt have a diffuser to begin with, it will make a difference. But many people with an 05 do have a diffuser and the A/C is still weak. You need to have it on level 2. The compressor also cycles on and off every 10 seconds. During this time, only warm air is blowing, hence the poor cooling.

We had no problems last summer in 100 degree Lowyesanna weather.
Oddly, the absolute best A/C we have had any any car was in an `02 Cavalier.
Go figure.

Back