Common problems with the Mazda3

blondee_yvr

:
2012 Mazda3
I have very little patience when my car has rattles and squeaks including other major/annoying issues. I currently own a 2002 Jetta TDI that has ongoing issues with clogging of the intake manifold primarily because I don't drive much nor do I drive the car hard enough. I was told I should shift at around 3500-4000 rpm and not to be afraid of redlining it every now and then. In 2005 VW of Canada will no longer cover this repair because they say the problem lies with the bad diesel we have in North America.

I am wondering what are some of the common problems that I may experience in getting a Mazda 3? I am really looking for something reliable and that has minimal maintenace. Performance is not a big issue, but reliablity is.

I realize that no car is problem free but when I spend the bucks to buy a new car, I don't expect it to be in the shop every month for repairs, warranty or not.

Thanks

Over 8 months and 2550 miles and no problems. But I must say that I hardly ever have problems with any of the cars I've owned.

RonH said:
Over 8 months and 2550 miles and no problems. But I must say that I hardly ever have problems with any of the cars I've owned.

you must not drive it very much b/c I live less than 7 miles from work and drive everyday and have driven more than that in less than 4 months

Nymisus said:
you must not drive it very much b/c I live less than 7 miles from work and drive everyday and have driven more than that in less than 4 months

I'm retired and don't drive much anymore. My wife works part time and takes it to work 2 days a week, around 18 to 20 miles round trip.
When I used to work two jobs I drove around 15k miles a year.

2 months/ 3500 miles,

noticable vibration from clutch when it's in low gear and low rpm such as stuck in traffic which the dealer couldn't explain why that's happening. Excessive brake dust in the rear, rear tire rub against the fender plastic, these are easy to maintain and one time fix. Other than that, my ride has been fun to drive with.

9 months and 10,700 miles

A few rattles in headliner around sunroof and rear hatch area, have replaced rear brake calipers for snapping/clunking, hydraulics on clutch have been replaced for clunking....still clunking, door panels rattle with radio speakers from time to time. Oh,,,and Mazda 1-800 Customer Service could care less about your problems....extremely rude people who just brush you off.

Thats it and hopefully thats all.

Still like the car in general, but thinking about trading already for something used and cheaper payments. Then maybe I can accept the rattles that the replacement will probably have.

Rattles and squeaks drive me nuts.

It' interesting...does anyone feel the quality is somehow effected since Mazda is made by Ford? Are these Mazdas made in the USA or Japan?

taylor5 said:
Still like the car in general, but thinking about trading already for something used and cheaper payments. Then maybe I can accept the rattles that the replacement will probably have.
The only two good things about buying used is the costs are cheaper and the fact that any quirks like rattles and squeaks will likely appear when you buy/sell the car. Otherwise, with my karma, buying used is more frustration than it's worth cuz no matter how thorough I [think] I am and there is always some major unexpected surprises that cost me a lot of time and money. While others I know don't do any preinspection when they buy used and they dont have any unusual problems. Weird. (uhm)

It' interesting...does anyone feel the quality is somehow effected since Mazda is made by Ford? Are these Mazdas made in the USA or Japan?[/QUOTE]

The Mazda3 is manufactured by Mazda in Japan. Ford does own controling interest in Mazda but doesn't build their cars.

when that you get the wheel hop it sound like the damn front end about to come off but thats doese not bother to much

Wheel hop clunk that is just un-nerving, auto down on window works when it wants to, and has been replaced; squeaking in my seat and roof; in-consistent mileage; and most currently they are replacing some strut brace gasket/bearing that squeaks when I turn it to the left. Oh yeah, glove box that simply does not line up properly....

If the VIN starts with the letter J, it's made in Japan.
Last I checked, Ford has no plants there.

6K Miles...no squeaks, rattles etc, Feb 04 build date.

netranger6 said:
Wheel hop clunk that is just un-nerving, auto down on window works when it wants to, and has been replaced; squeaking in my seat and roof; in-consistent mileage; and most currently they are replacing some strut brace gasket/bearing that squeaks when I turn it to the left. Oh yeah, glove box that simply does not line up properly....
A collegue of mine has the wheel hop clunk! Fascinating!!

netranger6 said:

Yeah, I've noticed that w/my glovebox too. I hold the handle on it up all the way till it meets the upper lid of the glovebox, then release the handle. It seems to help cuz it shuts.

6500+ miles. Wheel clunk, no glove box problems. lots of rattling thanks to sub. :D

Hate the clunk thing. I hear it more when I am braking and I hit a bump. haven't had the car serviced by dealer yet to check it out.

(eyeballs) <sigh> <SIGH>, I guess the Mazda 3 is out for me then. I suppose it's gonna have to be a Toyota or the cheap plasticy looking Civic.

blondee_yvr said:
(eyeballs) <sigh> <SIGH>, I guess the Mazda 3 is out for me then. I suppose it's gonna have to be a Toyota or the cheap plasticy looking Civic.

I think your counting it out to soon. The people that had the problems seem to have the first set of 2004's. I believe mine had a Feb 04 build date and I haven't had a single problem. I got mine July 2 and have put about 5600 miles on it. It's been on several 300+trips and not had a single problem. It's the best car you are going to get for under $20,000, heck under $30,000. I'd go with the 2.3 liter though, the 2.0 is doesn't have any power at all, and I'm not a hard driver (well, I have become one since I moved down here). I drove a New Beetle before this, and this car is sooo much better then that one. I feel your VW pain. You should go drive a 3, once you do you'll fall in love.

Back