Common problems with the Mazda3

11 months and 21000 kilometers, and I have had some minor issues, but I had a very early production car, for the past 5 months, not a single cough, runs beautifully, And all the litle bugs should be rectified for 2005.

punkin4675 said:
I think your counting it out to soon. It's the best car you are going to get for under $20,000, heck under $30,000. I'd go with the 2.3 liter though, the 2.0 is doesn't have any power at all, and I'm not a hard driver (well, I have become one since I moved down here). I drove a New Beetle before this, and this car is sooo much better then that one. I feel your VW pain. You should go drive a 3, once you do you'll fall in love.
Most of my shop loaners have been Beetles and everytime I get my car back, I cann't wait to get back into my Jetta TDI.

I will go and drive a 3, I am surprised the 2.3 is ~!$21,000 CDN for the 5 speed. Anyone have any comments on the automatic? I have a manual tranny right now in my Jetta and it's really a pain (and hard on the tranny) in the city with all that stop and go driving I do. I cant go any higher than that. My TDI was only a few thousand more with haggling.

The 3 is very popular. There is not much room to negotiate with the 3 as dealers have a hard time keeping them in stock. Everyone wants one.

I was thinking about getting a 3 w/a 5-spd, but I decided on the automatic and I'm glad I did. It eases the pain of stop & go driving, & the automatic comes w/a sport shift mode that you can use whenever you want.

-By the way, has any of your guy's tire pressure warning lights been going off due to cold weather? It's been getting cold around here lately and I thought that might have something to do with it: I've checked my pressure in all four tires and it's fine, so I dunno what the deal is.

Jake1 said:
I was thinking about getting a 3 w/a 5-spd, but I decided on the automatic and I'm glad I did. It eases the pain of stop & go driving, & the automatic comes w/a sport shift mode that you can use whenever you want.

-By the way, has any of your guy's tire pressure warning lights been going off due to cold weather? It's been getting cold around here lately and I thought that might have something to do with it: I've checked my pressure in all four tires and it's fine, so I dunno what the deal is.

persnickity battery in the pressure sensors? Cold keeps them from sending properly?

that would only be right when you got in the car, tho... because tires heat up when you drive on them for a while...

PeteyBoy3K said:
persnickity battery in the pressure sensors? Cold keeps them from sending properly?

that would only be right when you got in the car, tho... because tires heat up when you drive on them for a while...

yeah, I know. When I get in it comes on (seems like it's only done it on a few really cold days so far) and then seems to turn off once the tires heat up.

Problems

Well, I see somebody else is having the same problems I have had with the auto down on the driverside window switch, the squeaking noise when you turn the front wheels to the left, and the excessive amount of brake dust from the rear brakes. On top of all that, I also have a pass. airbag that has a mind of its own. I love the car, and I know its a first year production, but damn! I didn't expect all this.

Ive had my2004 3s 2.3 MT for 9 weeks 8700 miles, with the only problem/annoyance is the damn wheel hop!! i hope they fix it in 05. the only other problem/issue is if i hit a puddle at higher speed the splash inside the wheel is wicked loud, also on a dirt road you can hear every little rock hit the undercarage. but over all love the car, looking to get more power from the 2.3 with either the electric supercharger or the highboost turbo kit.

I have 6 mos on my Maz3 5-door and and about 17,000 miles (um, yea, I road-trip a lot). Here is a list of the minor annoyances I have and the idiocyncracies I've come up with for fixing them.

- Rear wheels have brake dust, but that is apparently going to be fixed when they have to do a brake job since newer, harder rear pads are being shipped out (everyone else has this too).

- There is a slight rattle behind the sunroof. It goes away for the rest of the day if you give a light thump between the dome light and the back of the sunshade (about 40 percent of people have complained about the minor roof rattle and aren't sure what it is).

- Recall on the airbag crash sensor (took an hour to fix, very painless)

- There is a slight rattle in the driver door in the panel with all the window-switches are when you are playing heavy-bass music... it goes away when you put your arm on it, however (leading me to beleive if I wedge a bit of cloth/foam around the panel, the rattle will stop)

- Power steering system makes the hydraulic wing-flap noise... this is cool to some (I like it/show it off), but can be annoying to others. Also, after everything is warmed up, there is a slight grumble from the front suspension when you make drastic turns (like, to maneuver in a parking lot). This is also only in my parking lot, however, so it might just be an affect of the tires on seal-coated asphalt.

-auto-down works unless I am on a particularly bumpy part of road, shaking the car while the window is going down seems to trip the resistance sensor that stops the motor. For an example: try pressing down on your window when it's auto-downing, when I press down it stops.

I am also coming to this car from a VW Golf that was evil. It's idosyncracies actually endangered my life

xhonda: do you put a bookbag on your front seat? or carry things that are >25 lbs but <60 lbs? The passenger airbag is off and not telling you if it detects < 25 lbs on the seat, the light turns on to notify you if you have >25 but < 60, and it will turn the light off and turn on the airbag if you have something > 60 lbs on the seat. This is a "feature" so that A: you don't lose two airbags if you are the only one driving and B: younging's in the front seat don't get smacked by something designed to stop someone a lot bigger. I'm guessing this is it because if you had actual airbag problems it would turn on the airbag warning light in your instrument cluster... not just the passenger airbag light.

Here's the latest. Took my car in for those listed items earlier, and they fixed all, no hassle whatsoever. In fact, I have to say, my car now handles better and accelerates faster, I think this is due to them dis-connecting the battery and re-setting the ECU, or they flashed due to TSB. Good to note is that me steering sound was a TSB, as posted on my invoice. Handling is due to caster and toe being not in spec, wonder if this is usual with Mazda since those adjustments are coverered under warranty for the first 12K miles.

xhonda: do you put a bookbag on your front seat? or carry things that are >25 lbs but <60 lbs?

I already thought about that. I started a thread about this about a month ago and somebody mentioned that the seat might have to be re-calibrated, because the pass. air bag off light comes on when there is nothing in the seat at all. And I have noticed the window switch does not function properly mainly when the temperature outside is warm or hot.

8 months 11,000mi
fuel pump went out check engine light on constantly and dealer dont know why, replaced spindel bearings rear brake dust that wont stop but i still love my mazad and wouldn't trade it for anything and the dealer has done all repairs free!!!!!I do drive the hell out the car though

Mazda 3 Problems

I've had my Mazda 3 for about 8 months now and have clocked up about 9000 miles. I drove down from Vancouver, Canada to LA (1200 miles, 20 hours) non stop and the car ran fine. I only stopped for fuel & restroom breaks.

Since I've had the car, I've had to have something in the passenger side door replaced. As the window went up and down, you could hear a klonking noise. I think the drivers side door is making the same noise and will have to be replaced too.

The rear shelf has also started rattling. It sounds like something has either worked it's way loose, or something has broken off in there and rattles everytime the car goes over rough roads. Got to get that looked at too.

Apart from that, no problems at all with the car.

Last edited:
i recently had to take my 3 to the dealer and they replaced the pilot bearing, clutch disc, clutch lever, and clutch cover (under warranty). i have the excessive rear brake dust and i also have the problem with my glove box, i have to hold the handle open while i close it. but i still love my car..

Well, sounds like I've had mine longer than anyone else and drive a lot more, since early February and over 23,000 miles; yes, I drive a lot. I have to say though, I love my car. I've haven't had any serious problems; never had to take it to the dealer for anything. I do get that wheel clunk that everyone talks about; I believe it's from soft springs that have to travel too far. I also have the glove box problem, but you can find a fix in another thread. The problem with the automatic driver's window is the motor, or maybe the swtich, getting hot, even after being left in the sun for a number of hours. Thats doesn't bother me enough to go down to the dealer and spending enormous hours there.

I get great gas mileage, 5 speed. The leather seats have held up well, even without tinted windows. And I'm planning on changing the spring to something lower; maybe that will fix the clunling problem. I too do a lot of stop and go driving, Miami traffic, but my clutch doesn't bother me; it's rather soft.

I will recommend the 3 to anyone, but right now getting a good deal may be hard because it's so popular. The 6 has a great sale right now, at least in the US. And you can get the same 2.3 engine, but of course there is the 6 cylinder. Your choice.

Anyone ever drove in really wet, rainy weather in their 3 and at some points (it might've been the road), your car just swerved all of a sudden? I've droved many cars in wet weather and it happened to me yesterday. Nothing bad happened but one time it happened, it scared the s*** out of me. I think the 3 obviously needs better stock tires, as has been complained about by many before.

wingzer - you probably hydroplaned, the goodgrief Rs/a is an ok dry tire, and middleing in the wet.

My turn...5000 miles, 5 months. no problems until a week ago. CEL, take it to Autozone and the OBD2 scanner couldn't connect. Took to dealer, thier handheld OBD2 scanner wouldn't connect. Service writer feeds me a line that the car is too smart for the "cheap" scanners to work, it has to be hooked up to thier "computer". It was a faulty thermostat. That and the airbag sensor recall.

My question is; Mazda is supposed to conform to OBD2, yet an OBD2 scanner doesn't work. So has anyone else had this issue?

Back