College Student First Car Build

Someone said it'd be fine (no names lol) the banjo bolt started spilling coolant out as soon as I started filling it with coolant. Skipping it for now until I can figure out how to reroute the lines from the throttle body

The job itself isnt hard, the bolt is pretty tired and rusty. Its probably leaking because you need new copper washers on either side of the bolt I think?

looking like a treat :)
maybe this might help that bumper sag haha
http://hydramotorsports.com/wp/shop/mazda/mazda-protege-front-bumper-sap-kit/

I think its the accident I got into that has everything misaligned lol and the bumper is still cracked from that and the lip I got was cracked and fixed with it being off the bumper, also the FMIC is a little big but oh well. I believe there are a few other things contributing to that gap (and I threw the bumper on trying to get to my parent's house on Thanksgiving morning lol)

Well, very good news! Got to 323's house Saturday and within an hour there was boost :eek: turns out the "Turbo high flow air filter" I bought was causing such a restriction the car would barely drive. Just a few more things I want to button up and I think the car will be done. I'm looking at getting a set of Enkei M52s (Don't know if I want the 16x7 or 17x7.5), I need to exhaust wrap the J pipe and get some DEI gold reflective tape so I don't burn my oil return line, get coolant to the turbo, get another BOV (Again, don't buy cheap s***), and lastly get the gauges in the car. Loving the car, as it is definitely awake now! Just having a huge issue with the dreaded fuel cut, so that will be looked into later. Unfortunately this was a snapchat video I saved, so ignore the portrait mode lol and driving manual with one hand is not recommended. But, my friends are coming up from Georgia and I will borrow their car mount to get some GoPro footage!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNzYT322Gk
ah the joys of my youtube channel from high school lol

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm really stoked for you! Hope you can get around the fuel cut--supposedly, there are quite a few ways around fixing this, but getting a boost gauge would be instrumental to see where your boost is sitting at. A vacuum gauge would also be nice, as it can tell you when you have a leak (less than 20 mm/inHg) or if your system is plugged.

Do you plan on going with a ECU piggyback, or perhaps finding an old used fuel cut defenser? Supposedly, Greddy made one, and some guy known as "JoeP" made some too. JoeP also made a fuel pressure reducer that eliminated the hesitation.

Congrats! I'm really stoked for you! Hope you can get around the fuel cut--supposedly, there are quite a few ways around fixing this, but getting a boost gauge would be instrumental to see where your boost is sitting at. A vacuum gauge would also be nice, as it can tell you when you have a leak (less than 20 mm/inHg) or if your system is plugged.

Do you plan on going with a ECU piggyback, or perhaps finding an old used fuel cut defenser? Supposedly, Greddy made one, and some guy known as "JoeP" made some too. JoeP also made a fuel pressure reducer that eliminated the hesitation.

Thanks man! my wallet isn't excited and it seems I'm still not done lol but,I haven't made a solid decision yet! Gotta do more research, but I'm looking at wither piggy back or Fuel cut defender. Seems the defender is a little cheaper, as the turbosmart one is $78 shipped and I'm not a fan of splicing into my wiring harness and 323 told me about his nightmare of trying to tune his car.

i don't think you listened closely enough. don't get bigger injectors and try to tune for your stockish boost then you won't have a nightmare. there's already a map made for stockish boost levels.

Last edited:
Well, not a post I expected to make, but I managed to wreck the car again lol There seems to be a trend in me working on cars for a few hours and then getting in an accident. Had a lady come across all lanes of traffic and slow down in front of me to get to the turn lane. The tire marks show how hard I was standing on the brakes. She was shaken and upset and apologetic about it and whatnot. Luckily I was going about the same speed as her when we hit and I wrecked the car before, I'm sure the bumper gave a lot of and did its job.
qKjkCBA.jpg

236Culi.jpg

Well, the car has been sitting since Tuesday due to a coolant leak and the fact that I was driving the car with no air filter on the turbo. I drove the car to my job after the turbo install to wash it and my coworker told me I left behind a little coolant. Drove the car to work tuesday and got under it and the car is pouring coolant from one of the radiator hoses I installed. Went from a few drips to a pretty serious leak (in a day) as the whole parking spot is pretty wet. One thing after another. Hopefully I get the time to hop under the car tomorrow to fix the coolant leak and get coolant to the turbo, and to install my K&N filter. Don't buy cheap or you'll buy twice. One thing after another. Hoping to ge tthe gauges installed over winter break.

Coolant leak fixed. Loose hose clamp. Wednesday will be getting coolant to the turbo (rerouting the TB lines) and installing the air filter and depending on how much time I have left, might record some GoPro videos. Also managed to burn my hand on the exhaust manifold trying to feel the leak with the engine running. Turns out exhaust manifolds are hot, who knew?

Got coolant to the turbo, but the line isnt getting hot, so I don't know what is going on. Over this project lol

Turns out it was getting coolant the whole time. Managed to drive the car to my parent's house this weekend (300 miles round trip) without any *engine* troubles. Smoking its ass off but I think the oil drain is completely kinked too much. The intercooler piping was soaked in oil, and when I blew off a coupler oil got everywhere. However, I've developed a huge clunk in the right rear. I got under and checked the sway bar and it seems fine. I gotta get under there and check the springs and the top of the strut to make sure nothing got loose.

what is your lowering combo? when I went with eibach and illumina I had to use some large fender washers on the top nut because the threads didnt go down far enough to keep tension on the spring. might be worth investigating. another thing to check is the upper ball on the rear endlink. make sure its not making contact with the inner wheel/frame area under compression.

he's running eibach springs and kyb struts. we had to add the washers you're speaking of.

Clunking still has gone undiagnosed as I have been working crazy hours at work and what little time I've had off is spent sleeping or doing other stuff. I did find some time today to grab some 2008 Mazda6 brakes from the local pick n pull today. (was a breeze since someone took apart most of the front end). Also found a set of MSP/626/FD rears on facebook the other day for $20+$17 shipping. Don't plan on using these brakes, but using them as cores. The brakes seem to be $200 a piece per side with around a $50 core charge. So I can esentially get all the brakes for $280 instead of $400.\
qrU2SvL.jpg

6kII2WZ.jpg

I have a set of powder coated seed6 brakes just sitting in the garage. Front and back... would let them go for cheaper than that.

I have a set of powder coated seed6 brakes just sitting in the garage. Front and back... would let them go for cheaper than that.

I swear every time I buy something for some odd reason you have it lol I have to pass though. Idk if I'm gonna size up wheels or not

Back