Coil Pack Problem Vs VICS Screw failure

Bijou-MP5

Contributor
:
2010 Mazda3 S Hatch
I have been having misfiring problem with my car last couple of weeks.

and I changed spark plugs, wires, and even fuel injection cleaning is done.
but problem still showed up.
I finally decided to drop my car at dealer and found out that it was one of my coil pack having problem
Coil pack symptoms are similar to Vics screw failure problem.

Symptoms/Problems of coil pack failure:
1. You will received one or more following codes when this happens
for me it was just P0303-cyl. 3 misfire

P0300-multiple cyl. misfire
P0301-cyl. 1 misfire
P0302-cyl. 2 misfire
P0303-cyl. 3 misfire
P0304-cyl. 4 misfire
first check engine light will flash for certain amount of time and it will turn into solid light.

2. You as a driver will hear a loud noise from engine compartment, but this is due to rattle movement from engine compartment. you also hear it from exhaust and sounds are very constant, not random.

3. Your vehicle may start bucking/jerking, meaning it will try to stall on you, while you are driving, most likey when you are at low speed, like when you at stop sign or in parking mode. When this happens, you won't be able to accelerate your gas and idle drops really low, will smell bad odor from exhaust. anyway, after about 15~30 secs later, it will come back to normal.

I have searched all autoparts store like advance auto, autozone, Oreiley(??), Napa, car quest, and rock auto but they don't have any o them in stock or simply, they don't carry one.
Dealer does have them or can order it for you for next day... but my estimate for replacing one coil pack was $200, part itself was $150, called several local dealear...about same price.
I finally remembered mazdastuff.com and they had one in stock and one coil pack assembly is only $68.

anyway, according to Dis

Symptoms/Further Problems of ViCS screw failure:
1. CEL (check engine light) turns on and gives you following codes:
P0301-cyl. 1 misfire
P0302-cyl. 2 misfire
P0303-cyl. 3 misfire
P0304-cyl. 4 misfire
From time to time the CEL will turn off by itself, which is annoying when trying to tell this to a dealership techs.

2. You as a driver will hear a loud clunking noise. Let me put it this way, if you put turn on the your music to a fairly loud volume, you will still be able to hear the clunking noise from the engine compartment.

3. Your vehicle may start bucking/jerking, meaning it will try to stall on you, while you are driving.

4. Vehicle's idle will become moderately rough. It will vary between 900 to 400 rpm or so.

anyway, my point is that they seem to give you similar symptoms so whoever owns 2002 or earlier, please check your coil pack, spark plugs, wires first and if it doesn't solve your problem then consider Vics screw problem.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: L8R
pasadena_commut said:
If it's under warranty by all means have the dealer do it. However if it isn't you can buy a coil pack from RockAuto for a fraction of what the dealer will charge you. Also the one I bought through them had the boot glued on, so you probably won't loose a rubber boot down the spark plug hole even if it cracks.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123616443&highlight=coil

thanks, I have already looked into your thread and out of warranty here :), anyway, your thread was really helpful.
However, I needed the part by no later than this friday and rockauto didn't have them in stock (it will take them about 4~5 business days to get one).
so I had no choice but ordering one from mazdastuff.com

If you go to RockAuto - get the airtex, I ordered a standard motor product and it was on back order and was replaced with the airtex which set me back another two days on delivery. Otherwise if you order today or early tomorrow you should have it saturday with standard shipping. the part is cheap enough to ship faster at a higher rate. They used FedEx ground for mine.

Diehonda said:
If you go to RockAuto - get the airtex, I ordered a standard motor product and it was on back order and was replaced with the airtex which set me back another two days on delivery. Otherwise if you order today or early tomorrow you should have it saturday with standard shipping. the part is cheap enough to ship faster at a higher rate. They used FedEx ground for mine.

I wasn't sure if I was able to get them by this friday, so I just ordered one from mazdastuff.com fro $68.
which is still way way cheaper than my fuxxing local dealers who wanted to charge me for $140 for one coil pack.
but I will probably order one from rock auto later.

Damn if your p5 was an 03 you could get the VTCS thing fixed since they have declared a recall for it now.

Lord_Zath said:
yeah mine doesn't fall between the dates. Don't know if I should be relieved or worried.

Car with Warranty: no worries :)

Car with No Warranty: worry..worry...worry... (poke)

Bijou-MP5 said:
I have been having misfiring problem with my car last couple of weeks.

and I changed spark plugs, wires, and even fuel injection cleaning is done.
but problem still showed up.
I finally decided to drop my car at dealer and found out that it was one of my coil pack having problem
Coil pack symptoms are similar to Vics screw failure problem.

Symptoms/Problems of coil pack failure:
1. You will received one or more following codes when this happens
for me it was just P0303-cyl. 3 misfire

P0301-cyl. 1 misfire
P0302-cyl. 2 misfire
P0303-cyl. 3 misfire
P0304-cyl. 4 misfire
first check engine light will flash for certain amount of time and it will turn into solid light.

2. You as a driver will hear a loud noise from engine compartment, but this is due to rattle movement from engine compartment. you also hear it from exhaust and sounds are very constant, not random.

3. Your vehicle may start bucking/jerking, meaning it will try to stall on you, while you are driving, most likey when you are at low speed, like when you at stop sign or in parking mode. When this happens, you won't be able to accelerate your gas and idle drops really low, will smell bad odor from exhaust. anyway, after about 15~30 secs later, it will come back to normal.

I have searched all autoparts store like advance auto, autozone, Oreiley(??), Napa, car quest, and rock auto but they don't have any o them in stock or simply, they don't carry one.
Dealer does have them or can order it for you for next day... but my estimate for replacing one coil pack was $200, part itself was $150, called several local dealear...about same price.
I finally remembered mazdastuff.com and they had one in stock and one coil pack assembly is only $68.

anyway, according to Dis

Symptoms/Further Problems of ViCS screw failure:
1. CEL (check engine light) turns on and gives you following codes:
P0301-cyl. 1 misfire
P0302-cyl. 2 misfire
P0303-cyl. 3 misfire
P0304-cyl. 4 misfire
From time to time the CEL will turn off by itself, which is annoying when trying to tell this to a dealership techs.

2. You as a driver will hear a loud clunking noise. Let me put it this way, if you put turn on the your music to a fairly loud volume, you will still be able to hear the clunking noise from the engine compartment.

3. Your vehicle may start bucking/jerking, meaning it will try to stall on you, while you are driving.

4. Vehicle's idle will become moderately rough. It will vary between 900 to 400 rpm or so.

anyway, my point is that they seem to give you similar symptoms so whoever owns 2002 or earlier, please check your coil pack, spark plugs, wires first and if it doesn't solve your problem then consider Vics screw problem.
I hope this helps.

I've got same problem. Any answers? CEL come on and car loses power. I've changed the plugs, wires, boots, EGR valve and checked the injectors. I'm not hearing a rattle or pinging, so I don't think it is Vicscrew. Any suggestions?

It's ignition coil time then. If you have replaced the plugs adn wires then it is the ignition coils. If it was just one of the cylinders you may have gotten away with just one but a random means you need both.

cmcjeff said:
Any suggestions?

Check the main ground, the thick one from the negative battery terminal to the frame. Unbolt it from the metal, clean off any corrosion, bolt it back on. Realistically, it most likely isn't the ground, but it's easy to check.

I have been having the same problems for a few weeks now.
My CEL came on and when I had to codes checked it said Ramdom misfire Cylinder 4 I believe it was p0304

Here's what I have done so far.

-Replaced all spark plugs (NGK)
-Wires
-Replaced Number for Fuel Injector (ouch)
-Both Coil Packs
-Removed and Cleaned EGR valve
-Removed and cleaned Fuel Filter
-Fuel Injector Cleaning (at PepBoys)

The funny thing is after each of these, CEL will go away for a day or two then it will come back, it is no longer Cylinder 4 but is say random misfire I
do not have the code off hand.
When the light is on I can definately feel a loss of power and the car shakes and "bucks" when idling.

What is the Vics Screw can someone please enlighten me.

Back