Clutch Pedal In The Floor! HELP!!

esnave09

:
2002.5 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys. I was in the middle of a delivery shift when all of a sudden my clutch pedal dropped to the floor and didn't come back up. I pulled the pedal up and tried again and it did the same thing - stayed down. I was in gear ready to take off, so I left it in gear and looked under the hood to find fluid (not sure what kind) all over the right end of the tranny housing. I did see other fluid on the ground and in a couple other spots on that side.

What does this sound like? I couldn't get a good look without taking out my battery, and since I was in the middle of work I couldn't do that, but do our clutches use lines? Or would this be a master/slave cylinder issue? I was thinking it was a clutch line since it quit all of a sudden (no prior indicators that it was wearing out), but looking at Advance Auto they didn't have any matches. I know my clutch itself is in pretty good condition (started to get a wee bit sticky after 2+ hours of highway driving before I replaced my motor mounts), so I've basically ruled that out.

HELP ME! I'm in need of being able to fix this myself, cuz money is kinda tight right now. Hoping it's a relatively easy fix!

PS, I didn't really have time to search since I'm at work, but I needed to get some advice before I got home so I could get right on it. Sorry if it's something easy to find!

Check the Slave Cylinder on the side of the tranny where the fluid goes "in and out" from the clutch pedal, also, see if there's a spring on the pedal above your foot.

Watch out to not let the master run dry if the line from the slave to the master blew. The protgs share a reservoir for clutch and brake.

Here's a pic of our clutch components,.. You probably blew a line.

clutchcomponents_zps53a71d33.jpg

I knew that the Proteges use the same reservoir for clutch and brake fluid, and so I checked and not very much was missing (I filled it a couple days ago cuz I have a brake caliper leaking). Hopefully the master cylinder hasn't dried up since I had it towed! I don't get off work until 5, and it's pretty hot (plus a black car) so hopefully the heat doesn't dry it up. I'll check it as soon as I get home and let ya'll know what I find.

The soft line probably split, no big deal just a few bucks at the dealer. Easier to bleed than the brakes

Yeah I looked and it was the soft line. is it just a generic brake line? I was looking at Advance and Autozone and neither have a "clutch line" or "clutch hydraulic line". Will it be something I can easily force if I pick up a brake line?

Also, I can't stop down to the dealer, cuz the closest Mazda dealer is over 70 miles away. :/ College town problems..... Will they have it at a Ford dealer?

I would upgrade to the braided stainless if I were you. May as we'll upgrade and ditch the rubber

Cork sport or just google it a few company's make them. Don't get generic make your owns, you will regret it

+1 on not getting generic make your owns its a bad idea order an original fit pre made and you will be less frustrated

Well I ordered https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) from Amazon last night (last one that was Prime eligible) and while it fit the description, I'm crossing my fingers that it's a generic photo cuz the fitting on the top of the pictured one is wrong. I'm trying to call the Mazda dealer back home cuz my dad said he could bring the part to me on Monday if they have it, but I had to leave a message. They close at noon, but I'm really hoping they didn't close early for the holiday weekend.

Also, I couldn't find anything on Corksport. I hate that this part is so ridiculously hard to find.

EDIT: Looking at the pic of what I ordered again, I noticed that the part number on the box doesn't match what I ordered. So my guess is that it's generic.

It's not that. It's the soft line between the two hard lines for the slave- and master cylinders. Here's some pics:

And a video:

Back