Chinese Aftermarket CX-5 Mud Flaps

Trek777 > Thanks! I'll try that out.

TreyP > I'll try to get better shots for you.

I was asked a few more questions about the guards, so I may as well post it here as well. The mudguards took me about 20-30 minutes to install. It was super easy. I used a small flat head screw driver to pluck out the plastic push tabs, a philips screw driver for the screws, and a hammer to gently help push the plastic push tabs back in place with the mudguards on the car. When installing the front guards, turn your steering wheel all the way to one side and then the other way to give yourself some more space to work, respectively.

The guards are definitely a different shade of black than the car's lower plastic trim, but a little tire shine or Armoral will get it to match well. One thing I did not mention in my post and I should is that the front 2 guards are not a perfect fit. I had to use scissors to cut a VERY small bit of plastic from the guards to have it seated well with the body plastic trim. Not a big deal at all and not noticable when installed. You will see what I mean when you get the guards up on the car to match the holes for the push tabs.

I would definitely suggest getting these guards than paying $100 more for OEM ones. Good luck.

I got mine today - the box that they were shipped on got opened by customs - no big deal. I put them on in less that 30 minutes and the rear ones fit like a glove. The front ones... well I was warned - LOL - a little additional pressure actually made the rivets go in smoothly. The rest is history... And yes, the holes are a bit of problem, this is all easily solved by reading other posts and get ready. I thought it would be tougher and I am not someone that works a lot on cars - my momma did not make me lemonade and I did get a little dirty (grin). I went through the car wash and drove 130k on the 401 and they stayed on, so far so good... DSC00822.JPG DSC00823.JPG DSC00824.JPG DSC00825.JPG

Aelaan > Thanks for the PM. I like the new guards they shipped you. They look exactly like mine, but your version with the CX-5 print on the rears look great. Good job!

Here's pics of mine....also ordered aluminum pedals. Got them installed less than 1 hour but I have to buy longer clips to get a perfect fit.

6pmhdf.jpg

33to86q.jpg

2sbao1e.jpg

2n7dzqq.jpg

Ordered mine off Ebay for $29.99 and free shipping that takes about 15 days. Only took about 30 minutes to install with only one modification. I did not use the existing top hole on the front flaps(see picture). Over all I'm very happy with the flaps and price I paid.

Attachments

• mudflaps1.JPG
    mudflaps1.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 587
  • mudflaprear.JPG
    mudflaprear.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 571
I have also made this decision and ordered from eBay. I was prepared for modifications and some issues due to short rivets.
However, I need to admit that installation was very fast and super easy. No modification was needed and I used provided screws as well to fix them on the top to the plastic layer. I think it is a great cheap idea especially for winter season.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Go ahead and try it yourself.

Last edited:
I just want to confirm that it's safe to poke open the top hole in order to properly secure the mud flaps. I currently only have the bottom and middle bolts secured. I'm planning on picking up for 4 additional rivets tomorrow.
screw_zps138ca843.jpg

Did any of you have any problems installing your front mud flaps? My rear ones went on without a problem. I have already tried increasing the size of the holes on the mud flaps in order to make it easier to put the push pin rivets in. I don't believe the rivets are actually catching onto anything. As you can see in this picture I'm not currently able to get them on tight enough. Despite that the rivets are pushed in fully. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
2014-05-281910341_zpsc3631268.jpg

Did any of you have any problems installing your front mud flaps? My rear ones went on without a problem. I have already tried increasing the size of the holes on the mud flaps in order to make it easier to put the push pin rivets in. I don't believe the rivets are actually catching onto anything. As you can see in this picture I'm not currently able to get them on tight enough. Despite that the rivets are pushed in fully. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
To me, it looks like you got it lined up too far inwards.

yes, you have to cut that thing out, and you may have to get a bigger size rivet form autozone. If you are having non oem fitment issues, you may be able to remedy it with some double sided tape/spray adhesive(no gap) after you do what you can with the rivet..

Finished up the fronts. I did not use any of the included screws because they were already starting to rust while in the little plastic bag. I used all the pre existing plastic push pin rivets that were already in the molding and had to purchase another one for the top hole in the rear and a slightly longer screw expansion rivet for the front middle hole. Overall I am happy with the install. The longer screw expansion rivet is a little concearning because is not as snug fitting as the original push rivets. I do like that I did not have to modify or snip any of the original molding and could always go oem if the $35 Chinese dont work out.
Here's the link on _bay:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Hi, if you don't mind me asking, what was the dimensions for that longer rivet you used and where'd you buy them from? I just bought some chinese splash guards as well and they are too thick for the existing rivets. I've check all autozone and advance auto parts stores around me and they all have the same length rivet, just different diameters.

Thanks

For the top of the rears, I went to a Mazda Dealer with an existing push rivet in my hand, so that there was no question what I was looking for. cost maybe $5 total.

For the front middle holes I used plastic expansion anchors from Pep Boys. They are kind of like wall anchors, but plastic. I dont recall the size used. I purchased a few sizes and experimented until I was satisfied. The fronts have never been as snug fitting as the rears but it has not been a problem in the last 1.5 years.

Good Luck

For the top of the rears, I went to a Mazda Dealer with an existing push rivet in my hand, so that there was no question what I was looking for. cost maybe $5 total.

For the front middle holes I used plastic expansion anchors from Pep Boys. They are kind of like wall anchors, but plastic. I dont recall the size used. I purchased a few sizes and experimented until I was satisfied. The fronts have never been as snug fitting as the rears but it has not been a problem in the last 1.5 years.

Good Luck

awesome, thanks

Hi, I bought the chinese version instead of OEM. Bought them and other stuff before I got my 2013 CX5 a couple of weeks ago. Finally I did not need the muds as the car came with. If you want you can get them even for a little less than on eBay. They look good, but I have no experience with the mouting efforts you need.

So looking on eBay at mudflaps and there seems to be a few different styles. Which ones do you guys think are better? There's the ones that seem to be more square at the bottom with the rears having a mounting hole going up from the bottom and ones that seem a bit rounder and have kind of ripples or lines giving them a bit more shape. Thoughts?

So looking on eBay at mudflaps and there seems to be a few different styles. Which ones do you guys think are better? There's the ones that seem to be more square at the bottom with the rears having a mounting hole going up from the bottom and ones that seem a bit rounder and have kind of ripples or lines giving them a bit more shape. Thoughts?
The ones that seem to be more square at the bottom with the rears having a mounting hole going up from the bottom are the ones that I bought. I got them through AliExpress.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mud-Flaps-Splash-Guards-For-Mazda-CX-5-CX5-2012-2013-4pcs-per-set/1987192973.html

OEM mud gaurds

Been eyeing the OEM mud guards as well, regret not getting it when car was new. Anyone actually used a torque wrench to screw the bolts as specified in the installation guide? I don' thave a torque wrench, just a regular screw driver....

I installed OEM mud guards on my 2015 Mazda6 GT and never used a torque wrench... never have had any problems. Also just got a 2016 Mazda CX5 and dealer installed as I watched, they didn't use one either. Hope that info helps.

Back