Check engine keep lighting up ''car run rich'', they cant find the issue!

The OP has a MS3.

Which car (with the "non-wideband 02 sensors") were you referring to?

are you saying the ms3 has wideband 02 sensors? i figured that was only an aftermarket thing you could do in order to utilize afr guages and do tuning, and that no factory car came with them.

are you saying the ms3 has wideband 02 sensors? i figured that was only an aftermarket thing you could do in order to utilize afr guages and do tuning, and that no factory car came with them.

The "main" O2 sensor is wideband. You can monitor the actual AFR through the OBD port.

The secondary O2 sensor is not wideband but it is only used to monitor the primary cat.

I have this same issue with the rich cel. Most of my friends throw it with Mazda speeds. Except today my egr valve went out lol. I'm think I'm going to just put stocker parts on and take it to them since I bought it there they can't complain. I wonder if I should put the air box back on though. Running the mscai now with air straighteners.

I threw an egr cel again for 2-3 days, then I took off the ssqv and put the stocker back on and it cleared when I started the car. Weird. No one can really explain an egr valve to me that well either.

I threw an egr cel again for 2-3 days, then I took off the ssqv and put the stocker back on and it cleared when I started the car. Weird. No one can really explain an egr valve to me that well either.

exhaust gas recirculation. the only thing it does is prevent NOx emissions by cooling down the cylinder combustion temps, it neither hurts nor helps performance. and NOx is all that s*** you see in the air in california when it's hot and the middle of the day, all that haze and nasty stuff

I've been dealing with sort of the same issue for a year and a half. P2188 (rich at idle) Almost every part has been replaced and everything tested and cleaned to death. New computer, all new injectors, both 02 sensors, new purge valve, cleaned and tested maf twice. They now tell me that Mazda Canada says the car can't be repaired. I'm pretty upset right now. Tons of gas getting in the oil and my fuel economy is about 30-40% of what it should be. I only get about 260km on a tank.

2007 stock MS3.

Last edited:
I mentioned it to the Mazda mechanic and he knows about the walnut shell blasting but they don't do it. He said they have a valve cleaner they use but in his opinion it doesn't get much off. I guess I have to find someone with the proper gear to do it. How do dirty valves cause such a drop in gas mileage and throw the rich at idle code? Just curious. My mileage is actually less than half of what it should be. Any type of test to find out if it is the valves?

He's right, unless the valves are manually cleaned, they gunk up horribly.

Doesn't help that EGR makes everything worse.
Even if cleaning them doesn't help your problem, I'd still have the valves cleaned. It's really not difficult if you're at all mechanically inclined. The intake manifold needs to be pulled, then use a brass rifle brush and carb cleaner to brush all the gunk off. After that, shop-vac the gunk out. When everything is back together, run it for a little bit and then change the oil.

I'd also add a catch can setup. That will help a little bit, but the biggest help is eliminating EGR all together. IF you have an accessport, it would allow you to disable the CEL.

running rich could also be something like a vacuum leak.....IF you don't have a boost leak tester, smoke a cigar or use a smoke bomb you can hold and hold it in front of the intake at idle and watch for smoke emitting anywhere.

They checked everywhere for leaks twice. He's positive there isn't one. He thought there may have been a leak around the maf but I guess there wasn't. He checked around the turbo for leaks as well.

I'll be nice when I say this, but, dealer lackeys are usually not the most competent when it comes to working on cars and detecting issues that a computer doesn't tell them how to fix, ESPECIALLY on the ms3................for giggles you may want to check yourself. They usually guess, and when that happens, as with you, they replace random stuff on your buck until they find what fixes the problem.

You could be right. It's been a steady stream of random parts so far. This particular mechanic seems pretty up on things though and he seems to have some empathy for my situation at least. The other mechanic they have is iffy to me. He worked on it last time. He's the one that cost me 2000 for fuel injectors before and they didn't fix anything. He actually suggested replacing them all again to the guy that's working on it now because he said they were all bad AGAIN [they only have 2000km on them]. They won't cover them either. Seems stupid since the last time they were changed the engine light came on after 30km of driving. Obviously they aren't my problem. I can't see a car having so much carbon build up it needs new injectors every 3000km. He kind of hinted at it though.

Last edited:
The carbon buildup isn't on the injectors. the carbon buildup is on the intake valves. Sounds like that mechanic doesn't understand direct injection

They think it's on everything, but it's obviously just an excuse to have me spend another 2000 dollars for no reason. Logic should tell them that if you drive 40km on brand new injectors and the same cel appears then the injectors weren't bad in the first place.

Back